Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I would remove everyones internet access in work

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Naikon wrote: »
    Sucks for you:p Let me guess, Large multinational company? Obviously no names or anything like that on a public forum.

Nope small Financial company they are serious about their security :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Scien wrote: »
    There's been lots of studies done to disprove the theory that internet restriction increases productivity.

I remember having a job about 3 years ago which had everything blocked. I couldn't do a tap I was so bored. Looking at a computer screen for 8hrs a day with just internal systems and solitaire would make anyone go crazy.

Any smart company should grant employees full access to the internet.
    It's surprising how much work you can get done when you're allowed browse the net for 10 mins here & there.

Funny thing is, most of these companies that block internet access, could have stupid password schemes like "employee-name-123" or similar. I have heard of cases like this in the past. If your password does not resemble something like this string "V*<&+'Q4_A8#]c<kWq" you are doing it wrong. Even better, ditch password logins totally. Key based authentication is the way to go.

Obligatory XKCD: http://xkcd.com/538/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Rubbish, those who are blocking sites are the ones being screwed by inefficiency.
    You can't force someone to work. It's completely counter productive.

If I ever get to the position of CEO I would never restrict internet access.
    Some of these old brick & mortar age companies are living in the dark ages when it comes to work practices.

I suppose you can rest in the solace that the old fogies who introduce these policies will be dead soon. I am guessing places that restrict internet access suffer from the old school boss mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I looooove having the net in work, it helps break up a painfully slow day. Although it also makes me a total lazy b!tch like today when i actually have stuff i need finished for xmas. We have literally no internet limits in here its great.Some of my mates work in archaic businesses where they wont even let their mail filter accept photos in email attachments and very mild swear words like "crap" and "feck" are banned too and returned to sender. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

anniehoo wrote: »
    I looooove having the net in work, it helps break up a painfully slow day. Although it also makes me a total lazy b!tch like today when i actually have stuff i need finished for xmas. We have literally no internet limits in here its great.Some of my mates work in archaic businesses where they wont even let their mail filter accept photos in email attachments and very mild swear words like "crap" and "feck" are banned too and returned to sender. Ridiculous.

That's the sort of limitations I'm after.
    A place of quite solace where work can flourish.
    Then a nice mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

The reason most companies implement such policies is to show that they have made some effort to safeguard employees against inappropriate material in the workplace.
    If there was no effort to limit internet access in anyway, in the event of one employee sending on for instance a link to a dodgy site, and the employee who received it wanted to make an issue of it, both the sender and the employer could be held liable.
    While no filter will block everything, it shows you made an effort, which is generally considered to be enough.

When I actually get a job. I won't be able to use the net.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My company just informed me that they are as of now after reading this thread resticting access to the

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I login to my PC at home to browse net at work. No record of any sites on work PC :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

gleep wrote: »
    Did the weirdo get one too?

No he didnt..His bonus is to be mingling with society :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    My company just informed me that they are as of now after reading this thread resticting access to the

So how did you click "post" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Rubbish, those who are blocking sites are the ones being screwed by inefficiency.
    You can't force someone to work. It's completely counter productive.

If I ever get to the position of CEO I would never restrict internet access.
    Some of these old brick & mortar age companies are living in the dark ages when it comes to work practices.

depends on the job, what do you think people did before the internet? sit there being bored doing nothing? eh no they worked, this need to be constantly stimulated is a relatively new phenomenon.

there are jobs i have done were i could outwork everyone on my team with full internet access and there are different jobs(mainly call center stuff) were there is not a chance id have been as productive if i had access to the net

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

The train stops at the train station
    The bus stops at the bus station...

What happens at a work station?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

phill106 wrote: »
    So how did you click "post" :)

You've too much down time on your hands :P

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

I think you have to look at WHY we browse websites at work...
    Not to sound like a hippie or an anarchist but the way we work needs to change...some of us are shoved into work that isnt inspiring or anything we can get passionate about.We stay in these jobs for security and one day we'll wake up when we're old and realise we could have done something thats more fulfilling if we only had the balls to try..alot of us are just in the wrong types of work for our personalities...thankfully things are slowely but surely changing...
    Read these books..really good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Dead-Switched-Shocking-Office/dp/184112656X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292603817&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Excellent-Anything-Transforming-Forgotten-Performance/dp/0857200488/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292603841&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

People messed about in work before there was internet access, it's just a new way to waste time. It's not like you're no longer expected to do your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

if im going to relate this to my own situation then the op is making no sense

im currently finishing off my twice yearly study binge, 10 hours shift studying the same crap for 3 weeks really does make ya bored as fcuk....... i tried blocking my access to boards/facebook/youtube for the first few days using study help on chrome, after about the third day i really couldnt work my i was so bored and i wasn't really getting anything done

so for the last 2 and a half weeks ive been giving myself 50 mins on, 10 mins on the internet and its worked a treat, not gettin as bored and its really helped regain my concentration when im gettin kind of listless

anyways, enuf of this, one exam left.....then FREEDOM!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

If you took away everyone's internet access in work, I think you should put full internet access on our computers in work....we currently have limited internet access and anything fun is blocked....it's only fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

OP, are you also going to block mobile signal to stop people with mobile internet. My phone can be used as a wireless access point for my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    A place of quite solace where work can flourish.
    Then a nice mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you took away everyone's internet access in work, I think you should put full internet access on our computers in work....we currently have limited internet access and anything fun is blocked....it's only fair!
    As peoples social life's move online I'm sure it will become a big issue, restricting some ones access to the internet could like saying they're not allowed to talk to each other in the office. It could end up being like a gag order during working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

As mentioned above, if someone's bored out of their head they won't be productive, with or without internet access. Being advised that your usage is monitored is also an incentive to minimise use. Fortunately my job is interesting and challenging so I don't feel the need to use the internet for personal use at work despite having full access. As it is, I spend enough time on it when I get home, so a break from it is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I was once in a job where I was in the top 10 internet users in the company! That job was such a doss, it was ridiculous.

However, if the project manager had've gotten his act together and organised some work** for us to do, then we wouldnt have been sitting at our desks all day, bored!

So maybe its all the companys faults for not being more interesting to work for! I wonder what the doss-levels are like in places like Google!

** it was a job upgrading staff PCs and we couldnt just interrupt them so it had to be organised in advance before we could touch the PCs.

Advertisement