Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irishman (Scorsese, De Niro, Pesci and Pacino)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FreyaL

Mr Regal wrote: »
    Still debatable if Sheeran did the work on Hoffa. Others have claimed it also.
    There was two characters I thought were totally wrong in regards to the actor's.

Chuckie O'Brien - He had black hair and was stout.
    Fat Tony Salerno - He was born old. The actor who played him looked ****. He was too young made up old.

Also in regardless of Goodfellas in a post above, ☝ Jimmy ( Conway) real name Jimmy Burke was of Dublin descent ! His mother was a Dublin gal! I'd love to know if there's any relations still over here in the old country.

He was born Conway in New York and placed in foster care aged 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I didn't find the de-ageing as distracting as a I thought I would. The way people were going on about it, I thought it was going to be way worse.

Overall, an enjoyable film. The length didn't bother me at all. Final act in particular was very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Finished this last night. It's a decent flick. In the mob you either go out with a bang or live long enough to fade out with a whimper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As secretive as they are about their numbers, I'd love to know what Netflix's stats are saying about this: it's such a big swing by the service, and one of their more overt attempts to garner "mainstream" awards and recognition; I'm dead curious how good or bad the results have been so far ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

pixelburp wrote: »
    As secretive as they are about their numbers, I'd love to know what Netflix's stats are saying about this: it's such a big swing by the service, and one of their more overt attempts to garner "mainstream" awards and recognition; I'm dead curious how good or bad the results have been so far ...

It's a very ambitious project and I commend Netflix for taking it on in this era where maybe people are less likely to sit down to a 3 1/2 hour epic when they've so much more available at their fingertips. A great thing to take on in a mainstream company regardless.

• Advertisement

Finally got around to seeing this. A little disappointed. The cgi didn't work for me and kept taking me out. You can't change the gait of an old man. I'm sure this has been mentioned a ton of times but that scene where Deniro beats up the shopkeeper was awful. I actually can't believe that was put in the film as is. Going for a wide shot made it look so goofy. My gf asked me was it intentionally bad to fit with the era when films would have regularly had poorly choreographed fight scenes. They should have used a different actor for the younger stuff imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I watched this over the weekend. I thought it was alright but I think they made it about twenty years too late, like some of the other lads said.

De Niro clearly doesn't have the energy for this kind of role any more. The scene with the shopkeeper was embarrassing to watch. I'm astonished they kept that in the film.

Pacino was fantastic in comparison, lots and lots of extra ham. Pesci didn't really need to be in it, if anything I think he was miscast.

Overall it won't be remembered for anything other the de-aging stuff and for being a coda for the careers of the principle cast. I'm opposed to the use of de-aging effects in general, would we even still be watching 75 year old Robert De Niro if he didn't play a young Marlon Brando in Godfather II? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Pesci didn't really need to be in it, if anything I think he was miscast.

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Very disappointed in this film tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

People calling it boring prob think Waiting For Godot is too, form is content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Watched this yesterday, its very ambitious and with so much being based on "fact" it does require some grasp of the era and the big players and events of its time.

The movie's arc is quite good, strangely I found some of the female performances quite compelling, almost as if they were being used as negative space to pad out the mores of the time.

It is not on a par with the Trio's best work, but it is a good (not great) movie that really pushes the envelope in terms of what facial recognition and de-aging can do.
    The de-aging feel down for me, only in that the character still had their aged hunched stances, the facial work was fantastic.

What it has done, is given the Mrs an interest in gangster movies and Irish gangster stuff.

Time to introduce her to State of Grace, the Departed, Boondock Saints and if I can get her thru to Road to Perdition I think she will be hooked, her main exposure to anything akin to this genre to date has been Ray Donovan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Watched it again on Netflix, it is a classic, a slow-burner with an unbelievable performance from Pesci. I can see why it doesn't go down well in some quarters in this day and age of facebook/insta where young people demand instant gratification and barely can concentrate for a hour of Game of Thrones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

ISOP wrote: »
    Watched it again on Netflix, it is a classic, a slow-burner with an unbelievable performance from Pesci. I can see why it doesn't go down well in some quarters in this day and age of facebook/insta where young people demand instant gratification and barely can concentrate for a hour of Game of Thrones

I think that's very dismissive. There's dozens of plus 3 hour movies that are critically acclaimed and modern audiences have no problem sitting through. Wolf of Wall St, LotR trilogy, Titanic for instance.

A film needs to justify it's run time.
    I don't think the Irishman justifies itself. There's a lot of fluff that doesn't lend itself to the story. Cut 30 minutes and nothing would be lost.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I think that's very dismissive. There's dozens of plus 3 hour movies that are critically acclaimed and modern audiences have no problem sitting through. Wolf of Wall St, LotR trilogy, Titanic for instance.

I don't think the Irishman justifies itself. There's a lot of fluff that doesn't lend itself to the story. Cut 30 minutes and nothing would be lost.

Im amazed how many people here consider Wolf Of Wall Street a masterpiece here over The Irishman, an enjoyable romp but pretty self indulgent and vacous all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

We were hearing the same guff about "once upon a time in hollywood" it was too long etc,men like Tarantino and Scorsese are masters of their craft at story telling, layers upon layers of intricate details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Greyfox

100% agree. I thought the film was very good as all the cast did a great job but some small parts of the film where dragged out and dull.
    ISOP wrote: »
    We were hearing the same guff about "once upon a time in hollywood" it was too long etc,men like Tarantino and Scorsese are masters of their craft at story telling, layers upon layers of intricate details

I felt both films were too long, both films had scenes that were unnecessary. Masters like Tarantino and Scorsese also understand pacing which is why these 2 films are in the category of been really good but nowhere near either directors best work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

De Niro etc snubbed by Golden Globes. Although Scorsese is up for best Director.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

py2006 wrote: »
    De Niro etc snubbed by Golden Globes. Although Scorsese is up for best Director.

Well De Niro did pretty much sleep walk through the role, so I wouldn't have expected a nod for him. Pesci, yes.

Well De Niro did pretty much sleep walk through the role, so I wouldn't have expected a nod for him. Pesci, yes.

Really doubt he cares, he has his Oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Seems watching the full movie in one go might not be the done thing..

‘The Irishman’ Is a Netflix Hit, Even If Few Make It to the End
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-06/-the-irishman-is-a-netflix-hit-even-if-few-make-it-to-the-end
    Only 18% of viewers made it all the way through “The Irishman” in one sitting on its first day. That’s not unusual for a Netflix feature. A similar number finished “Bird Box,” and only 11% completed “El Camino.” Many viewers have discussed plans to watch the movie in parts, and some reporters have joked the picture should be considered a TV series instead.

I must have a google at how to split it.

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Seems watching the full movie in one go might not be the done thing..

‘The Irishman’ Is a Netflix Hit, Even If Few Make It to the End
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-06/-the-irishman-is-a-netflix-hit-even-if-few-make-it-to-the-end

I must have a google at how to split it.

Kind of a non story really considering far shorter films generally have a higher attrition rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Overhyped . So so film .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Felt bored in parts to the point of minimising the film on occasion. It's a great story and a good movie but it dragged on far too long especially the final hour.

It was always going to be compared to Goodfellas and it can't hold a candle to it really. I thought Pesci was very good but Pacino and De Niro especially have seen better days. De Niro spent most of the moving nodding, wasn't really any character development there at all.

peddlelies wrote: »
    Felt bored in parts to the point of minimising the film on occasion. It's a great story and a good movie but it dragged on far too long especially the final hour.

It was always going to be compared to Goodfellas and it can't hold a candle to it really. I thought Pesci was very good but Pacino and De Niro especially have seen better days. De Niro spent most of the moving nodding, wasn't really any character development there at all.

"Minimising"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

"Minimising"?

Minimising the window and looking at something else.

Speaks volumes really.

You are always doing yourself a disservice if you don't give something your undivided attention. You will I enjoy it less the more you check instagram. If you're gonna watch something; commit and put your phone etc away from you.

The only exception I've found to this is reality TV where you can mindlessly come in and out with no adverse effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You really are feeding into the comments about people having diminished attention spans with a statement like that.

It’s like criticising a song because you didn’t like what you heard while listening to it through a partition wall when your neighbour was playing it at a party.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You really are feeding into the comments about people having diminished attention spans with a statement like that.

It’s like criticising a song because you didn’t like what you heard while listening to it through a partition wall when your neighbour was playing it at a party.

At the risk of making a sweeping generalisation, I would hazard a guess that a demographic breakdown of fans of the film would be at the older millennial end of the spectrum and before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

At the risk of making a sweeping generalisation, I would hazard a guess that a demographic breakdown of fans of the film would be at the early millennial end of the spectrum and before.

Possibly. But I just think there’s a case to be made that people/society in general have started to become easily distracted when consuming media. Tweeting while watching football, Instagramming while at gigs, etc. etc.

Advertisement