Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New parking plans in Maynooth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

This is a study week so there are hardly any students on campus. Wait until you see it next week before you judge the parking issue!

Damn, I was thinking something didn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

wonton wrote: »
    people actually do that? that has to be one of the best examples of lazyness and selfishness that you could find.

I couldn't care less tbh, if its raining or snowing and the car is outside I'll drive in, no hassle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

djhaxman wrote: »
    I couldn't care less tbh, if its raining or snowing and the car is outside I'll drive in, no hassle.

Then you can pay up as well.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Then you can pay up as well.

I fully intend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Will you need the parking permit to park there after 6pm??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If its a private company running it then park anywhere you like , just bring a hacksaw , private clamping is a grey area in this country , and if somehow some unidentifiable person with a hood was to use a hacksaw (tescos for 3 euro) to cut the clamp off then walk away from the car just before you return with no hood up ....then theres f*ck all they can do

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I fully intend to.

Good to see laziness and the wonderful attitude of "i'll do what i want" is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

If its a private company running it then park anywhere you like , just bring a hacksaw , private clamping is a grey area in this country , and if somehow some unidentifiable person with a hood was to use a hacksaw (tescos for 3 euro) to cut the clamp off then walk away from the car just before you return with no hood up ....then theres f*ck all they can do

I don't think it's been ever tested in court but I read an idea once about putting a sign on your car stating that it's private property and any items placed on the car which interfere with its operation will be removed at the owner's risk. Needless to say I'm not going to risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

It's a free country, let people drive in if they want.. 40 euro isnt exactly a lot of money for half a year, but the time it can save you waiting for the crappy public transport.. i think its worth it.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Good to see laziness and the wonderful attitude of "i'll do what i want" is alive and well.

Do you have a car? I fail to see the point of paying tax and insurance and then leaving the thing sitting there, especially if it saves you a soaking. I'm as entitled to a parking spot as the next person, no matter where I live, particularly if we all end up paying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Do you have a car? I fail to see the point of paying tax and insurance and then leaving the thing sitting there, especially if it saves you a soaking. I'm as entitled to a parking spot as the next person, no matter where I live, particularly if we all end up paying.

Yep i have a care. I also pay tax and insurance but neither of these are for parking spaces in Maynooth college or anywhere else. You'll be giving your money to a private company, possibly run by my good self! Oh the irony is tasty in this thread.

My point was though, cos i feel the need is warranted here. If one lives closer to where one needs to be than someone else. Then it may be easier to use a non motorised mode of transport, due to the smaller distance needed to be traveled.

But ya, please do buy the parking pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Stitch09

in an ideal situation nobody would pay, but the college is limited by space and the fact that the town is introducing paid parking and manor mills is set up to whenever it wants, the college has to prevent every randomer who fancies stroll around maynooth from parking there. And the train station is a nightmare to park in whereas the college, a 5-10min stroll away is grand and relatively safe to park in and an attractive option for lots of commuters living on the outskirts of maynooth. It is also meant to encourage students in close proximity to the college to walk/cycle instead of bringing their cars in. the only options for increasing parking are multistories such as DCU (pay by the hour, bloody expensive to build and to use) or increasing the amount of car park space....eh where? at the cost of the pitches? no, i'd rather hold what little sports facilities we have on the north campus and St Pats is never going to let go of its pitches (why should it in fairness-part of making the campus what it is). And the land beside the canteen-zoned-and if the college ever gets there hands on it it will be for more student accomodation. If it succeeds in limiting to a small extent the amount of 'sure feck it we'll drive' cars and lets those who need to drive have a hope of finding one (i've literally driven for over an hour on some days tryin to find a bloody space) its worth it.
    Do i want to or can i afford to pay-no, do i think its neccesary, yes, do i see anyother options, not easily implementable ones. If the permits were free it would be too hard to track cars with correct permits and stop people giving them to firends etc. Plus this way it might weed out a bit of the lazy day drivers and free up spaces for the rest of us-oh and staff vs student-not all staff can avail of all the staff parking, mostly they'll be paying permits as well. St pats can barricade of practically the whole south campus if they want,it wouldn't be nice or useful to the rest of us but they have their own students and members/staff to look after and don't have to facilitate nuim students parking everywhere they want to.
    main point-its not been done solely to raise the coffers of a random clamping company, its been done to facilitate staff and students who need to drive having a better chance of parking
    Rant over:D

Advertisement