Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New parking plans in Maynooth

Options
  • 16-12-2010 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

So to cater for a severe lack of parking in Maynooth, we see the introduction of paid parking from now on.
    This paid parking is going to cost the average student 40 quid a year.
    Does anyone know why this fee is imposed? Who would want to park in NUIM if they were not students? The train station is too far away.
    I saw a car clamped today in the new '1 euro 1 hour parking' at the Callan building, It is designed to make more spaces available, but now no one wants to park there because they will have to pay 1 euro per hour ON TOP of our new 40 euro fee.
    I tried to drive into the library today and that car park is also closed.
    Is it just me or is this getting absolutely ridiculous?

Thanks to new policies and new construction there is a serious lack of parking in Maynooth and I feel this is terrible and unfair.
    Welcome to NUI Maynooth, the only place you can be clamped when parked in a legally designated parking space!

Anyone disagree? Agree?
    Let me know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I have or am in the process of doing a reactionary piece to all this jazz but I'm just too busy and tired at the moment. Probably after Christmas before I get around to it. The college said in their presentation July that they'd have lots of supports in place before this all rolled out. For example Car Pooling and Guaranteed Ride Home Schemes? Anyone heard anything about these?

But bottom line, I firmly believe no one should have to pay to park on campus. Students and staff that is. Especially considering that the parking facilities here are sub-standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Send it to The Print!

Theprint@nuimsu.com

Also, it's my understanding that the private company operating the traffic management will share some of the revenue from this venture. A complete disgrace to be honest, students who are already hit in the pocket severly by the budget are now being asked to fork out to pay for inadequate facilities with not all of the revenue going into improving those facilities.

I think we can all acknowledge the need to encourage people to take public transport to college and to walk or cycle were necessary. However, public transport services to Maynooth are less than impressive. And they've done away with cycle lanes on North Campus (yet these pay and display/permit initiatives are aimed at improving health and safety??) leaving no safe areas on the ring road for cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Astrobotty

It is just frustrating when I look into the library staff car park, which has too many spaces for cars.
    AND the same being said beside the pitches on South Campus, behind the seminary. I used to park there in first year, but now it is barricaded off. There are empty spaces there every day when everywhere else is full, but we arent allowed past the barrier.
    I don't like seeing the staff having nearly two parking spaces each, when the students have about one space per ten students.

banquo wrote: »
    Send it to The Print!

Theprint@nuimsu.com

I mean something to present at a FEE or SWSS meeting, not an article. But if I get my **** together I'll send it your way :)

• Advertisement

Astrobotty wrote: »
    It is just frustrating when I look into the library staff car park, which has too many spaces for cars.
    AND the same being said beside the pitches on South Campus, behind the seminary. I used to park there in first year, but now it is barricaded off. There are empty spaces there every day when everywhere else is full, but we arent allowed past the barrier.
    I don't like seeing the staff having nearly two parking spaces each, when the students have about one space per ten students.

To be honest, I don't think it's a staff v student issue. Have a read through the attached document. Can anyone tell me if any of the ideas suggested to counteract the introduction of permit parking and pay and display have been implemented? Because I have seen no indication that any of them have.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

There is a lot of people that park in the college all day that aren't students however instead of charging us for the permits in my opinion a better system would be to issue a parking permit at no cost to the students that request them however if they lose them then charge them €20/40 for a replacement, the same as if you lose your student card. It'd identify the non student/staff cars and the very very small cost of a few laminating pouches would be recovered from the new parking enforcement company anyway.
    Wasn't the excuse used that the money will go towards new parking areas? I'll believe that when I see it :rolleyes:

Well the money goes towards it after "revenue sharing" with the private company ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Well the money goes towards it after "revenue sharing" with the private company ;)

Oh I just had a read of that link you posted, on page 6.
    No land available for major expansion of car parking spaces
    Multi-storey option not feasible:
    - cost up to €10m (650 spaces)
    - 4 to 5 stories high
    Underground option prohibitive

So what we really need is some sky hooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

You'd think with the amount of fees that students are paying that they'd give us a place to park at no extra charge...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Total disgrace. Ignore the problem and use it as a way to make money. There is no other way to dress it up. They might as well call it a NUIM car tax and be done with it.

Where is the 40E going, hardly for car park upkeep, or the building of a new car park.

Also if cars are clamped by this company for park on the kilcock road i'm pretty sure that's not allowed as it's technically out of the college grounds.

Kilcock road going to be a busy place, especially when the old footbridge gets knocked, luckily though the are putting in a pedestrian crossing. Yes folks another genius idea from NUI Maynooth.

Kilcock road parking is illegal. So that's an issue for the Guards. The 40 euro will go right into the coffers of some private company. I'm deeply uncomfortable with the idea of private companies clamping on campus. Clamping isn't exactly known for being the most reputable business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

We could always go at the clampers French style by superglueing the locks of every clamp you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Ah yes, the irony of clamping. They don't want you to park there, but then they don't let you leave :rolleyes:

But how do you extort money from people if not with the clamp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Become a banker

Thems some expensive clamps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Who would want to park in NUIM if they were not students? The train station is too far away.
    I saw a car clamped today in the new '1 euro 1 hour parking' at the Callan building, It is designed to make more spaces available, but now no one wants to park there because they will have to pay 1 euro per hour ON TOP of our new 40 euro fee.
    I tried to drive into the library today and that car park is also closed.
    Is it just me or is this getting absolutely ridiculous?

Thanks to new policies and new construction there is a serious lack of parking in Maynooth and I feel this is terrible and unfair.
    Welcome to NUI Maynooth, the only place you can be clamped when parked in a legally designated parking space!

the 1euro per hour carpark is for visitors to the college.

it's obviously not for people who have a parking pass.

there's many people who visit daily who aren't part of the college. today in our department, there's been at least 5 people, and some days we can have 20+ who only come for the day. i'm sure launches of initiatives, projects or services draw more.
    other people who park here are people who can't get a spot down the town, or people going to funerals or weddings during the week, who have nowhere else to park around the church, many also park in Aldi too.

hopefully that answers "Who would want to park in NUIM if they were not students? ", leaving aside the hundreds who work here.

if you're talking about the new "library staff carpark" behind Iontas, then no it doesn't. up until this week, after 10am there's no spots in there. there isn't even any defined spaces, as it's just gravel, which has lead to some pretty dangerous parking, and a number of scrapes. many of these spaces are also taken up by builders working around Iontas, or over at the canteen.

nonsense. staff have the exact same problems as students. it doesn't help when many students park in the so-called "staff car parks", of which there are very few, and quite small anyway. the vast majority of staff have to park in the same carpark spaces as students.

for comparison, DCU costs €70 a semester for students, doesn't guarantee a spot, has no train to serve it, and has a lot less people in walking distance of the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

To be honest, I agree that the parking permits and pay and display car parks are a bit harsh in this current climate. But I know why it has to be done, there are way to many people parking on campus that shouldn't be, as was mentioned above, people going to funerals, shopping, dropping off kids etc... As all of Maynooth town is introducing pay and display in the New Year, the parking situation on campus would only get worse without these measures.

I do believe that they brought in the one pay and display carpark too early as the permits won't be rolled out till the start of Semester 2. If you look at Aengus' article in The Print, he gives a complete overview of the new scheme. Frank Fitzmorris of Corporate Services also gave a talk at Union Council on Tuesday which was very informative. Any excess money gained by permits or clamping will go towards campus development such as cycle routes and shelters and car pooling initiatives.

Most other colleges charge for car parking and much more than our proposed €20 a semester. Andf if you think parking is only a problem in Maynooth, you are sadly mistaken. I am a former DCU student and the parking space/ car ratio was far worse than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I would also share Leixlip's concerns about private operators. Also the fundamental misunderstanding of how people respond to such charges - €40 per year is a low price for convenience, and I cant see this producing a reduction in traffic volume.

I think we need some sort of reaction before the new arrangements become settled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

The only good thing I can see coming out of the €40 permit is that it might discourage some of the people who live near the college from driving in. I know a good few students, and staff, who live in walking distance to the college and still drive on a daily basis. That's not fair on the people who genuinely have to drive to college but can't find a space because someone from Kingsbry drives in everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

So to cater for a severe lack of parking in Maynooth, we see the introduction of paid parking from now on.
    This paid parking is going to cost the average student 40 quid a year.
    Does anyone know why this fee is imposed? Who would want to park in NUIM if they were not students? The train station is too far away.

10 minutes walk from the train station? If commuters have to do it why is it so difficult for anyone else?

I thought the charge was put in to discourage people living in Maynooth from driving from their house to the campus when they could walk it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Jakkass wrote: »
    I thought the charge was put in to discourage people living in Maynooth from driving from their house to the campus when they could walk it?

people actually do that? that has to be one of the best examples of lazyness and selfishness that you could find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yeah, plenty of people do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Astrobotty

First off,
    @ Ian
    Good point, charging us all 40 quid is unnecessary when we could be given permits for free. I would assume that enough cars would be clamped to cover the costs of permits.

@ Ghostdancer
    The Library car park I am talking about is the one that is right behind the library. I just feel that if NUIM are going to severely limit the amount of student spaces in the library car park, they could at least put other spaces in place. That would be the main reason that I am frusturated with the 1 euro parking over in Callen. It is coming at a bad time, directly after we have already lost about50 parking spaces at the library.

@Jakkas,
    I meant that people from the country who travel to dublin via the train in maynooth would not bother parking in NUIM and then walking to the train station to get their train into dublin when there are plenty of housing estates along the way where they could park.

So thats my little traffic vent over.... Now, next on to 'chill'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Just wondering if these parking restrictions will be in place during exam periods? The demand is much lower at those times. For some us, our buses don't run outside semesters so driving can be the only method that doesn't take 3 hours each way on public transport. Will we have to get a permit just to deal with a two week period? Or impose on Aldi/Dunnes/Tesco/whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

mickstupp wrote: »
    Just wondering if these parking restrictions will be in place during exam periods? The demand is much lower at those times. For some us, our buses don't run outside semesters so driving can be the only method that doesn't take 3 hours each way on public transport. Will we have to get a permit just to deal with a two week period? Or impose on Aldi/Dunnes/Tesco/whatever?

As far as I know it's starting at the start of semester 2
    and it's being phased in, so people will be given warnings before being clamped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Sorry, I should have specified... I meant for exams next summer and beyond. If the demand for spaces during exams isn't surpassing available places, can the need for permits be dropped during exam periods? And also does anyone know if the restrictions will apply during the summer as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

I'm just starting a masters in maynooth at the end of january. Took a spin round the campus today to see what the parking situation was like. As far as I could see, there's loads of parking. The north campus had a huge amount of free spaces. Have some of those parking areas only been opened up? Or is the parking problem mainly restricted to the south campus?

I did my undergrad in NUI Galway and the student parking situation was unbelievably bad. They we're just about to bring in permit charges aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

bat boy wrote: »
    I'm just starting a masters in maynooth at the end of january. Took a spin round the campus today to see what the parking situation was like. As far as I could see, there's loads of parking. The north campus had a huge amount of free spaces. Have some of those parking areas only been opened up? Or is the parking problem mainly restricted to the south campus?

I did my undergrad in NUI Galway and the student parking situation was unbelievably bad. They we're just about to bring in permit charges aswell.

This is a study week so there are hardly any students on campus. Wait until you see it next week before you judge the parking issue!

Advertisement