Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Traonach wrote: »
    The food I left for "my" vixen is gone this morning so hopefully she is ok. I don't own the fields so unfortunately I can't stop whoever lamps it.

Getting a loan of a lamper's lamp. Will head out myself to try and see if she's around and hopefully train her to become afraid of the lamp. If I spot her with the lamp I'll make plenty of noise and hopefully she will learn to run whenever she sees a lamp. It will hopefully give her a good advantage over the lads.

Sounds like a good idea Traonach... you should tell the land owner too if you know him / her...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought lamping was more or less illegal these days full stop. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

The food I left for "my" vixen is gone this morning so hopefully she is ok. I don't own the fields so unfortunately I can't stop whoever lamps it.

Getting a loan of a lamper's lamp. Will head out myself to try and see if she's around and hopefully train her to become afraid of the lamp. If I spot her with the lamp I'll make plenty of noise and hopefully she will learn to run whenever she sees a lamp. It will hopefully give her a good advantage over the lads.

You are going to have to use the lamp with colour filters too, to do this.

They may have permission from the land owner to lamp their googsy.
    Mickeroo lamping is not illegal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought lamping was more or less illegal these days full stop. :confused:

No it is not illegal, but had a nosey earlier today to see how close the legal aspect of Lamping in Ireland is to in England, and there seems to be some similar guidelines with regards to whether a gun or dogs get used for different species.

Have to be honest and say that I dislike the practise of using dogs to make a kill. At least with a gun a skilled hunter can make a very quick kill.

I have had some experience in the past with the not so responsible minority that kill what they should not or with a method they should not use which puts that type in my black books. That type is defo in the minority thankfully and to be honest I don't regard them as hunters at all because the majority of hunters have a very good attitude and understanding of nature.

Shame. I took it that they were your fields.

Fingers crossed that she is ok, and wily enough to take off when she hears and smells the dogs being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

saw a Pinemartin dead on the road this morning, i wonder did half the people passing by realise what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

It's snowing! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

whyulittle wrote: »
    It's snowing! :eek:

:( where?

Athlone, doesn't seem to be sticking though.

still though. i'm terrified of it! :(

can i ask you, what's your signature about WUL?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

THunder, lightening, strong winds and huge hail stones here at the moment. Couldn't here the TV from the noise! :eek:

can i ask you, what's your signature about WUL?

Just a line from The Simpsons. Same as my username. :)

Just a line from The Simpsons. Same as my username. :)

i gathered the name alright, just don't recall the sig.

It's the one where Homer and Ned go to Vegas and end up getting married.

I've just noticed I've a word missing from it though. Thanks, you've ruined my sig! :mad::P

Or you could see it as i've helped you :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Kess73 wrote: »
    Basically play the fool that you did not know they were lampers and that you thought it was prowlers?

How responsible :rolleyes:

johngalway wrote: »
    How responsible :rolleyes:

I am sure you saw that I explained on the 26/11 why I said this given that you thanked Homerhop when he questioned me on it, so I am not sure why you are bringing it up again 14 days later.

If you have a genuine question for me on it, then by all means send me a pm with it.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I am sure you saw that I explained on the 26/11 why I said this given that you thanked Homerhop when he questioned me on it, so I am not sure why you are bringing it up again 14 days later.

If you have a genuine question for me on it, then by all means send me a pm with it.

I only saw it today, and I only thanked HH's post today.

I have no question, it speaks for itself. Advocating wasting Garda time intentionally to harass people shouldn't be on the forum.

I only saw it today, and I only thanked HH's post today.

I have no question, it speaks for itself. Advocating wasting Garda time intentionally to harass people shouldn't be on the forum.

Well you will then have seen that I thought the land was owned by the poster, and as such my logic was simply by contacting the Gardai and saying that there were people on his private land would be a quicker way to get the gardai to arrive (and also much safer than approaching men in the dark who may or may not have been using illegal methods)
    rather than him contacting rural gardai and saying that there were men lamping on his land without permission.

As it turned out the land did not belong to the poster, so my suggestion was moot as I only meant it with regards to the land I thought the poster owned and not someone else's land.

If it offended your sensibilities then so be it, but I did not intentionally set out to offend, and as someone who owns land I have seen first hand how slow some gardai can be to respond to investigate people illegally poaching on private land without permission compared to response times when poaching/lamping does not get mentioned. And before anyone gets offended by that, I am not saying the people mentioned by the poster were poaching or using illegal lamping techniques, I am saying that I had it happen on my land. I have no time for poachers, and no time for people who come onto my land without permission, and I certainly have no time for the type of people whose methods give proper hunters/lampers a bad name.

Regardless of what happened elsewhere, it's wrong to tell people to ring the Gardai and give them half truths and stories, that's not what they're there for and it's a waste of their time and resources - especially when that time and those resources are being cut and rural stations are being closed. There could be genuine emergencies elsewhere, car crashes, robberies, etc. and where's the patrol car? In the middle of nowhere chasing wild geese.

What you said above is exactly what should have been done if a landowner is concerned, that there are possibly armed persons on lands without permission to be there, end of, no BS or fibs. Tell them what's known. If it's not the persons land then let them contact the landowner and let them know. But calling the cops and purposefully acting the fool to bring about a personally desired, rather than deserved, outcome is wrong. To be brutally honest about it is the work of cranks.

• Advertisement

Regardless of what happened elsewhere, it's wrong to tell people to ring the Gardai and give them half truths and stories, that's not what they're there for and it's a waste of their time and resources - especially when that time and those resources are being cut and rural stations are being closed. There could be genuine emergencies elsewhere, car crashes, robberies, etc. and where's the patrol car? In the middle of nowhere chasing wild geese.

What you said above is exactly what should have been done if a landowner is concerned, that there are possibly armed persons on lands without permission to be there, end of, no BS or fibs. Tell them what's known. If it's not the persons land then let them contact the landowner and let them know. But calling the cops and purposefully acting the fool to bring about a personally desired, rather than deserved, outcome is wrong. To be brutally honest about it is the work of cranks.

Call it what you like. I know from personal experience that not all gardai will come out if you say you have poachers on your land. In an ideal world a person should be able to ring up and say what is happening on their land and get the next available garda out to check it out, but we don't live in that ideal world.

I'm not going to get into a long debate with you on it though as it will only derail the thread more. I accept your criticism of what I said and I know that what you say makes sense, however my personal experience and me mistakenly thinking the land in question belonged to the poster led me to say what I said rightly or wrongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Saw an active Ladybird today and a busy Bumble Bee on the 21st....

Where's Winter?

So what nature related presents were opened today?

a ladybird really? feck. jesus. it is the mildest in irelands history apparently. no real nature related presents for me....only a cook book I suppose :o

how about you Mothman? what about the kiddies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Indirectly .... I got a monopod for the camera which may make for better photographs (grasping at straws:o).
    I also have some one4all vouchers burning a hole in my pocket which I'm sure I'll think of a good use for :)

you can give them to me lil bug! :)

i got my camera delivered at home yesterday so i'll be collecting that next week sometime. hope to have some better pictures up then :) i saw some birds of prey out this way yesterday, wish i at least had my binoculars with me. kites or kestrels maybe.

Freedom from glasses - got myself contact lenses the other day.

Should make using the camera and binoculars, particularly in the rain, easier.

Freedom from glasses - got myself contact lenses the other day.

freedom indeed :) I have really really bad eyesight but funny enough can see through binoculars better without glasses but better again with contacts. It just doesn't work with glasses :(

I'd be fine with the bins/camera without the glasses, but once I went back to naked eye I wouldn't be able to see anything more than five foot away!

yep... glasses on to find birds, glasses off to look through bins, lose bird.. glasses on again :D Enjoy your new found freedom... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Only Christmas thing I got was a Garden Bird calender... which was meant for someone else... My parents now have three foxes coming around the back of the house this year.. which was better viewing entertainment than most of the sh1te that was on the TV this year... beautiful animals !

Advertisement