Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

just watching the rugby from Twickenham, and there is a fox on the field. stadium is full and teams walking out on the field.

fox looks cool out, though it must be quite imposing for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Fox was far from cool. Everything about its body language screamed terrified.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

What a place he picked to go for his stroll....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

A question from my 6 year old today....
    " Do the black headed gulls have their black heads back on again yet?" :D

And they do indeed! I hope you told her they should be called
    chocolate-brown headed gulls.:p

• Advertisement

And they do indeed! I hope you told her they should be called
    chocolate-brown headed gulls.:p

I told him I'd take him to Nimmo's pier at the weekend to have a look as I wasn't sure :o We've had the chocolate brown vs black conversation before:). He knows his gulls better than I do!

There was an abundance of very big and very green butterflies in the woods in Cong this morning. Possibly Brimstone though I didn't get a close enough look. It seems a bit early for any of the other green types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Can't be anything else but Brimstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Talking to a friend earlier and he said you would never guess what he saw yesterday, so I said geese flying over your house. He said yes how did I know. I told him I was in the wood yesterday evening and 2 flights went over it at around 6.30. He said the flights were passing over well into the night that he could hear them cackling as they went over his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Just back from a trip to New Zealand, and though it is a beautiful country with stunning scenery the lack of birds and wildlife was very noticable, to me anyway. I really missed birdsong and the first thing I heard on my return was the birds singing their hearts out. We really are very lucky here with the vast range of birds and wildlife available to us.

• Advertisement

homerhop wrote: »
    Talking to a friend earlier and he said you would never guess what he saw yesterday, so I said geese flying over your house. He said yes how did I know. I told him I was in the wood yesterday evening and 2 flights went over it at around 6.30. He said the flights were passing over well into the night that he could hear them cackling as they went over his house.

Many species of Goose will be returning north from now in to April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Noticed a bunch of pine cones scattered around an old stump yesterday freshly stripped to the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I meant to say ages ago that I saw a black headed gull over the liffey one evening.

I'm heading out to bull island today :D apparently there's a bird sanctuary there. hopefully i'll get some good pics.

Mothman wrote: »
    (posted 8th Feb)
    My swans have left for now, probably to get their fix of Johnson, Mooney and O'Brien....
    Remarkably, they stayed away till this morning :eek: Great to see them :D I need them to give the Bulrushes/Reed mace in check :)

I haven't checked to see if they are "my" swans but they seem quite familiar with the place.

Was really starting to think that the recently acquired dog had driven them off, but on the other hand, I didn't really believe that she would give up on site that she has nested in for the last 8 years or so.

Hopefully there'll be plenty more to this story this year :)

EDIT, they are "my swans". I've just driven out of my new little pond. :rolleyes:
    I may put a fence up, or just tie the dog there :)

Was that windy or what? :eek: I've been awake since before 5 listening to bins, basketball stand and other various things blowing over.

came home lateish last night and could hear a dog going mad barking out in his run.
    went out to check and there was a hedgehog in the run all curled up.
    the ground was fairly worn around him so i dont know how long it was going on for.
    moved the hedgehog to a quiet spot and checked on him bout 10 mins later but he was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Spotted a few swallows up near Dunshaughlan, Co. Meath today. Also a few Yellowhammers, are they getting more common, I see them a lot now.

TRNIALL wrote: »
    BTW hows the Swans,are they nesting this Year.
    Answering a query from another thread.
    My Swans have built a nest a bit further away from house than last year and out of direct sight. There may well be eggs laid.

anyone else think this forum is gone a bit quiet lately?

alot of our more senior "analysts" seem to be otherwise occupied.

dont think Fearghal has posted in a while, Ditch neither is there something going on?

are they all off at some ornithological conference somewhere?

trebor28 wrote: »
    anyone else think this forum is gone a bit quiet lately?

It has been quiet.... maybe the good weather has taken people out and away from the internet:pac:
    People come and go for whatever reasons. I'm sure I've been away from boards for months at a time over the years. I can't anymore though because they won't give me holiday pay :(

• Advertisement

Who'd be at computer when weather is so fine? :D

Not me....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Oh when will this stupid weather clear off.

Today I was out in pleasent sunshine in blue skies, heavy hail, heavy rain, so cold I could see my own breath, and all capped off with thunder and fork lightning!

So we got May weather in April and now we have April weather :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This wind is making everything worse. Showers are turned nasty by it driving them along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Mothman I'm so jealous of your garden. :(

Drove Athlone>Galway>Athlone today and spotted something like 5 Kestrels and 2 Sparrowhawks along the way.

Similar numbers a couple of weeks ago.

Brilliant! :D

Yes, verges along major roads are an important food source for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

any one else notice the amount of dead badgers on roads last few weeks.

We're the season where female badgers have given birth and so what you are seeing is possibly the young badgers that have been driven out of the sett and are looking for their own territory, so travelling to new areas and crossing roads in the process.

• Advertisement

Yes, verges along major roads are an important food source for them.

I know yeah but it's still great actually seeing them!

Advertisement