Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A great flush of newly fledged birds about this weekend. The garden has House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Chaffinch, Robin, Blue Coal and Great Tits, and Goldfinches at the moment. While there are numerous starlings, warblers, and bunting along the bog lane. The weather seems to have little impact and there is an abundance of food about for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would like some confirmation of this. I don't think any have been recorded here before. He's an expert so, probably accurate but I wonder how long they have been around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There are a couple of comments underneath which purport to be confirmations of sightings, albeit in smaller numbers. Are there any parakeets in the UK in areas which might facilitate them crossing the Irish sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

I would like some confirmation of this. I don't think any have been recorded here before. He's an expert so, probably accurate but I wonder how long they have been around.

:rolleyes: If you knew who he was you wouldn't be looking for confirmation :confused:

• Advertisement

Snowc wrote: »
    :rolleyes: If you knew who he was you wouldn't be looking for confirmation :confused:

?.? I know who he is and how much of an expert on reptiles he is. Not sure why you have a problem with confirmation of any sighting. Even Birdwatch Ireland today said they would go out to check. Standard protocol. But you have issues with my posts from time to time for some reason.

There are a couple of comments underneath which purport to be confirmations of sightings, albeit in smaller numbers. Are there any parakeets in the UK in areas which might facilitate them crossing the Irish sea?
    Those in the UK are in the South East, so unlikely to travel this way. There are a few sightings elsewhere in the UK most years but they are escapees: Which is what these are likely to be and they may already have been recaptured.

They are not a species we want naturalising here, as they compete for nest locations with Woodpeckers and starlings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby-crowned_kinglet pair reported in Howth = way off the reservation (North America). Until snapped I would have doubts.

tricky D wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby-crowned_kinglet pair reported in Howth = way off the reservation (North America). Until snapped I would have doubts.

One turns up every few years, usually in the south - cork or cape clear. A nice find for somebody.

10 Great Tits on a single nut feeder this morning. A very active family group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Question: I came across a possible oil slick about 2km off Greystones yesterday morning. It stretched at least 500 metres. I took a sample and photos of the orange/brown substance. I have just reported it to the EPA. Is there any other authority I should be reporting this to? A lot of feeding seabirds in the area plus seals and porpoises.

EPA should be sufficient.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's an empty building along the main road (35 meters away at most) by my bus stop. I counted 23 housemartin's nests just on this side of the building, plus a broken one. There's loads of them, they're flying and swooping all over the road and filling the space above my head, their chirping and chattering would charm anyone, even a heart of stone. Joy in bird form! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

any sea eagles this year?

last night i learned that what i had guessed were very small leeches in my garden pond are much more likely to be a type of flatworm called planarians. every day's a school day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

10 Great Tits on a single nut feeder this morning. A very active family group.

Dad bringing the kids to McDonalds. :D

Just came across a Ringed Plover nest with 3 eggs on a really busy piece of beach. Fingers crossed they are successful.

And fingers crossed nobody else goes near it, as it's illegal to disturb nests (in any way, shape or form). It's difficult to do, though, if you just come across them while on a main route.

New Home wrote: »
    And fingers crossed nobody else goes near it, as it's illegal to disturb nests (in any way, shape or form). It's difficult to do, though, if you just come across them while on a main route.

Right next to a path. Wouldn't have seen it except the adult popped up off it as I went by. I moved on quickly to minimise disruption. I suspect most people wouldn't have seen it at all. I'd be more worried about dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Right next to a path. Wouldn't have seen it except the adult popped up off it as I went by. I moved on quickly to minimise disruption. I suspect most people wouldn't have seen it at all. I'd be more worried about dogs.

Surprisingly late that nest - back home in Kildare there are a few dozen pairs breeding in sand pits etc. and many of these had chicks near fledging in recent weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Surprisingly late that nest - back home in Kildare there are a few dozen pairs breeding in sand pits etc. and many of these had chicks near fledging in recent weeks

1st clutch of eggs/chicks were probably predated and they re-laid.

i've seen a fair bit of hedge trimming around north county dublin in the last few weeks - in all instances it's just a trim, and always along roads, so i guess any defence would be the road safety one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/birds-for-sale/birds-for-sale/22302379

This is an ad for what appear to be goldfinches for sale...are they goldfinches? Also I presume it’s illegal to catch and sell them?

https://www.donedeal.ie/birds-for-sale/birds-for-sale/22302379

This is an ad for what appear to be goldfinches for sale...are they goldfinches? Also I presume it’s illegal to catch and sell them?

Siberian Goldfinches. Cage birds, captive bred. As legal as a Zebra Finch of Budgie.

Siberian Goldfinches. Cage birds, captive bred. As legal as a Zebra Finch of Budgie.

Cool, just wanted to make sure!

Oh dear. Just saw a female mallard with ducklings walking along the base of the central reservation barrier of the M50.

Edit: apparently a crew are on the way to rescue them!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Oh dear. Just saw a female mallard with ducklings walking along the base of the central reservation barrier of the M50.

Edit: apparently a crew are on the way to rescue them!

Some Continental countries build animal pathways over and under motorways.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Some Continental countries build animal pathways over and under motorways.

As we do too, on known routes for animals. They are called Wildlife underpass crossing culverts. Ducks however would not have regular routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Me, to my neighbour, the other week: " Oh, look! There's the rat, sneaking a bite of the bird seed I put down on the track! "

My neighbour ~ all bulgy eyed and foaming at the mouth: " Shoot It!!! "

I'm like " :confused: It's a rat, man. It lives along the ditch. Rats do that. It's nature. The entire ditch is full of rats. Should I shoot them all the way to my post box and beyond? Where do I stop? They don't come near me, else they'll be dealt with. "

My neighbour, to me, last night; " Would ye shoot a fox for me? "

Me: " Why?!? What's it doing? "

He says, " It's walking round in circles. "

I'm like; "Sounds neurological! I'll get my gun. "

" Oh, no. " He interjects. " It's healthy. It's just walking round my cut silage. Annoying my cattle, in the next field. "

Me: (" Deep breathes and Walk Away ....!!!")

People!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Advertisement