Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Good point, thanks Srameen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Stigura wrote: »
    Physically Put them back, I'd imagine? :(

What I don't understand about BT is; How come, if I'm out and about and log birds on my phone ~ they don't transfer to my on line / computer site? Again, it looks like we're expected to come home and read the data from our phone and type it in, on line :confused:

I don't even have it on my phone, now. And, OMG! As for what they've just done to the web site?! Urgh!

When you're on the lists page on the app, there is a cloud icon with an 'up' arrow inside it. Clicking that transfers your lists from your phone to the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

whyulittle wrote: »
    Got a new phone last week, and when I went to use the BirdTrack app today, it didn't have any of my places listed. Anyone any idea how to get them back?

Answering my own question here, but it might help someone in the future.

So when you login, make sure you're either on WiFi, or uncheck the 'Update over WiFi only' option if you're on mobile data.

Personally I wouldn't call logging in, an update, but they do. The 'login' button does say Update and not Login, but you are logging in!

Anyway, 'tis working again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Yesterday...on the upside..there is a Woodpecker back in the trees at the edge of the garden..
    On the downside..a corvid cacophony got my attention and on investigation I found a Grey Crow had caught and killed a Jackdaw juvenile belonging to the group that nest in and around the yard.

At lunchtime in the house I’m aware of a flurry of feathers with a glimpse of black and white and then a bang on a window, going outside I find a dead juvenile Woodpecker, my guess it was hassled by a Magpie (a couple have been making a nuisance of themselves recently) and flew into the window, I’m still livid..

On the upside...two more Woodpeckers in the garden in the evening..:)
    This evening something I have never seen before, a Starling anting on the lawn and as I watched was joined a short distance away by one of the Woodpeckers... every day’s a schoolday! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Skylark singing already at half past three this morning. Loud and ecstatic,,, reminding me that it is time to go to the nearby shore to watch the sun rising above the mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Greenfinch have returned to the feeders, but only two or three at a time. Gone are the days when a dozen was not usual in the garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw a pine marten today when i was out for a cycle in north county dublin. first time i've seen one out that direction.

Cuckoo still loud and clear out here at 4 am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I have a great spotted woodpecker hanging around my back garden for the past two days, I’m thrilled and amazed beyond belief, hope it lasts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

i saw a pine marten today when i was out for a cycle in north county dublin. first time i've seen one out that direction.
    Alive or flattened?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

very much alive, thankfully. between ballyboughal and the naul.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

I have a great spotted woodpecker hanging around my back garden for the past two days, I’m thrilled and amazed beyond belief, hope it lasts. :)

I've never seen one but I've heard them drumming in the Phoenix Park. Fantastic sound. I'd recommend A life in the Trees by Declan Murphy.

The BTO reported today that tagged Cuckoos have already departed and are in France. Their time here is extremely short.

i guess that's simply down to them having outsourced raising the offspring, so there's no benefit to hanging around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

The BTO reported today that tagged Cuckoos have already departed and are in France. Their time here is extremely short.

More info here if anyone is interested

https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/cuckoo-tracking

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

Despite having a bird friendly garden and a healthy number frequenting gardens about 10 houses down the road I've never seen a Goldfinch in my garden.

The other evening I spotted a lone adult sitting on a phone line at the front of the house so I said sod it, remortgaged the house and bought some Niger seed :).

Put the feeder out the next morning and with two hours had a Goldfinch on it ! Couldn't believe it. Most I've seen so far is 2 adult and 1 juv, but it's great to see them making it through the iron curtain setup by the resident house sparrows.

Another bumper year for the little brown beasts here with up to 30 adult and fledgling sparrows in the garden at the same time.

Sadly, this is the first summer I can remember not having a robin keeping me company around the garden. They were here right up until early spring and then moved on.

Amazing to see how much changes over the season in a little patch of Dublin.

i guess that's simply down to them having outsourced raising the offspring, so there's no benefit to hanging around?

There was a cuckoo still calling out here ( West mayo offshore) early yesterday. Loud and clear .

And if any cuckoo is still calling in mid June its a sure sign of failure to breed this year. Ours changed from the mating call a couple of weeks ago and all seem to have now moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

fiacha wrote: »
    Despite having a bird friendly garden and a healthy number frequenting gardens about 10 houses down the road I've never seen a Goldfinch in my garden.

The other evening I spotted a lone adult sitting on a phone line at the front of the house so I said sod it, remortgaged the house and bought some Niger seed :).

Put the feeder out the next morning and with two hours had a Goldfinch on it ! Couldn't believe it. Most I've seen so far is 2 adult and 1 juv, but it's great to see them making it through the iron curtain setup by the resident house sparrows.

Another bumper year for the little brown beasts here with up to 30 adult and fledgling sparrows in the garden at the same time.

Sadly, this is the first summer I can remember not having a robin keeping me company around the garden. They were here right up until early spring and then moved on.

Amazing to see how much changes over the season in a little patch of Dublin.

I am in Galway and I put out Niger seed and Sunflower seed a good few weeks ago, I now have on average 30 goldfinches visiting every day, when I get up in the morning for work I put out seed and they do be all lined up on the roof of the shed waiting patiently for breakfast, beautiful birds I never thought that I would get so many in the City as I thought they would be a Country bird.

Kamili wrote: »
    More info here if anyone is interested

https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/cuckoo-tracking

Fascinating site and project. Thank you. The calling cuckoo here is not that late yet; there was one spoken of on 12th will be out very early tomorrow and will listen out. Things in general tend to be late out here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Heard Cuckoo calling this morning about 1100, East Galway.....

That's unfortunate, as it means it probably hasn't bred , and won't now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could it be one of those born this year?

New Home wrote: »
    Could it be one of those born this year?

No, only adult males do the familiar "cuckoo" call and it's to assert ownership of a territory and to attract a mate.

Great! I was unwell earlier and did not get out.. will try again early tomorrow
    e
    I thought this week it was late for them, but given there are a few of these later ones ( recorded on 12th onwards) that the cooler bizarre weather has extended the season for them. Birds do not obey a calendar and the weather has been a challenge It is fascinatiing

Okay, just for clarity. If a cuckoo has not bred by early June there will none of the host species breeding. Meadow Pipits - April to early June when the last clutch fledges, Dunnock - April to late May, Robins late March to early June. In June he changes his tune - usually because breeding is complete. If he still 'cuckoos' he has missed the boat, most likely because no female was available.

Thanks Srameen, that's very interesting, and something I didn't know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

2 in Bull today moved by Meadow Pipits. Not calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have 5 baby blackbirds in the garden. They were all sunning themselves this morning in sunshine.

I don't usually feed the birds at this time of year but given the low temperatures I have changed my mind. The bird feeders are empty in a day rather than 2-3 days in winter. The parents are busy looking for insects/ worms for the babies so are happy to stock up on seeds for themselves.

• Advertisement

Grasshopper warbler in great voice.

Everything out here ( west mayo offshore) is way behind the rest of Ireland, hence the late cuckoos and only half way through June ..regional variations.. never trust absolutes in these times of climate change. new ground being broken and need sensitivity and openness to these changes

Advertisement