Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU Cancelled

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

To add insult to injury, the cast/crew weren't told and found out online/Twitter etc.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/12/caprica-cast-find-out-about.html

^ it's mistitled Caprica, but it's from David Blue on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I wonder if they'll do another spin of show? or is this it for the stargate franchise?

I personally don't see them making a successful TV based show ever again. Sci fi on tv (and tv in general) is dying a slow death. It's too easy to download shows online. Sci-fi shows will feel the pain first because Sci-fi viewers are more tech savy than most.

Companies like MGM need to wake up and embrace the internet. A high quality stream available worldwide at the same time with a few short adverts tailored to the viewer's region would cut out the middle men (SYFY, SKY etc.).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I agree with my smelly friend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sci-Fi/genre/superhero/serialised series are all dying out. Fringe/No Ordinary Family/The Event...we'll wait and see with The Cape.

They are all dying off, it's a scandal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I only watched sgu because well.... it was Stargate, But it really was becoming a great show through season 2. They cancelled stargate atlantis because of stupid reason and sg-1 got cancelled because the cast were getting too old to continue the same story and sci-fi wanted to end the recurring story-lines.

Basically MGM ran the show into the ground, Making a new show based on a 10 year old franchise is a bad idea, You will probably not get alot of new comers and it will piss off alot of the hardcore fans. Also the move from Fridays probably didn't help!!

Lose - lose if you ask me.

Also it was mainly the fact that they only counted the ratings in the us aswell, Come one, There are millions of people that watch it around the world, Simple streaming would survive but NO thats to hard for the people at SCI FI!!!

I'm just pissed i lost my only Stargate fix!!! ****!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

No surprise here and to be honest I'm not too bothered. A lot if wasted episodes. Had potential but didn't live up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

ffuuu-300x226.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What?! I just discovered this now. Moronic - seems like terrible timing because they don't know how the audience trends will be for the second half.
    Then again this is from the network who cancelled SGU during the 200th episode celebrations, so clearly they don't give a toss.

I was really enjoying the show, as it was something very different from the franchise which was getting a little stale. I really felt it was growing its legs in its second season and further realising its potential. Definitely felt it was getting better and better.
    People asking for me to be banned - for what?, disusiing the ratings?...which is the VERY reason it was axed?, very poor form from the FM's here.
    What the hell is that supposed to mean? How is it poor form from the FM? Did I orchestrate this or something? Or am I meant to be on 24-hour surveillance on this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wow, yet another reason not to bother renewing the tv subscription. It's more or less at the point now where there's nothing on thats worth paying for, enduring ads for etc. SGU - I'll miss u :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Im sorry to say this but im glad its cancelled – and for the record im a longterm stargate fan – have every boxset from SG1, SGA, and the films. but lets face it Universe, or as i called Battle-stargate Universica was absolutely terrible – never before did i find myself getting up and leaving the room during the show – it was slow, filled with endless and pointless dialogue, and was generally designed for a wider audience ie “people who dont like SciFi” – Well guess what, they didnt like it – and speaking for myself as a long term Sci Fi Fan (trek, sg1, sga, doctor who, EFC)etc i really never liked it

IT was very slow, uninteresting and generally poorly written - it is what is fast becoming known as Soap opera in space

I wasnt a fan of BSG, or caprica, never watched them - and from what im told im glad i didnt - after all it was god who was apparently running the show, according to one of my BSG fans who cryed when it finished.

Universe was Stargate trying to be BSG - I mean compare an episode of SG1 to Universe - Fast action, dense plot details, Versus slow, dull, please kill that stupid bird who isnt a bird anymore cause of the aliens, stop whinning into that floating ball or kino thing, OH ITS ALL SO DEPRESSING, and terrible - Badly written, way too slow moving ... CRAP

– Il treasure my SG1, and Atlantis DVD’s along with the films (while im on the subject, i would add the second SG1 film wasnt brilliant, Universe made it look brilliant)

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It wasnt brilliant by any means but it was one of the better scifi shows on tv at the minute. with this, caprica and the event cancelled it seems they are making way for Alphas and Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome. What do we have to do to get a scifi show these days that isnt cancelled after 2 seasons? I loved the Terminator show, Firefly etc. and then you look at Eureka or warehouse 13 still flying (I watch both these too in fairness but id rather lose of them then SGU.) Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Thor wrote: »
    I only watched sgu because well.... it was Stargate, But it really was becoming a great show through season 2. They cancelled stargate atlantis because of stupid reason and sg-1 got cancelled because the cast were getting too old to continue the same story and sci-fi wanted to end the recurring story-lines.

Basically MGM ran the show into the ground, Making a new show based on a 10 year old franchise is a bad idea, You will probably not get alot of new comers and it will piss off alot of the hardcore fans. Also the move from Fridays probably didn't help!!

Lose - lose if you ask me.

Also it was mainly the fact that they only counted the ratings in the us aswell, Come one, There are millions of people that watch it around the world, Simple streaming would survive but NO thats to hard for the people at SCI FI!!!

I'm just pissed i lost my only Stargate fix!!! ****!!!

Completely agree the show was getting so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

keithgeo wrote: »
    It wasnt brilliant by any means but it was one of the better scifi shows on tv at the minute. with this, caprica and the event cancelled it seems they are making way for Alphas and Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome. What do we have to do to get a scifi show these days that isnt cancelled after 2 seasons? I loved the Terminator show, Firefly etc. and then you look at Eureka or warehouse 13 still flying (I watch both these too in fairness but id rather lose of them then SGU.) Crazy!

totally with on terminator series - Brilliant - the best in recent years - SCI FI has evolved into something very different recently - Gone are the rich plot lines of science blended with breathtaking action scenes- replaced with people whinning about relationships and cheating girlfriends - If i wanted that id buy a friends boxset -

I have to say SyFy has gone to the toilet in the states - I mean look at there lineup - they show WWE Smackdown on fridays!!! A truely awesome sicence fiction show obviously - the rest is vampires, vampire killers, i cant believe its not a vampire will be next

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My brother (huge SGU fan) made a good point this morning that Sci-Fi is facing a massive threat to it's survival on TV. Casual fans are simply not watching intelligent sci-fi, and hardened fans are becoming sick of having good shows cancelled halfway through their lifespan without any proper ensings and emotional payoff.

Best case scenario is another channel sees the show for what it is (a great character driven show) and pick it up or perhaps a TV film to wrap up things as best possible.

Fringe will be next for the chop imo, and that's pretty much the best sci-fi out these right now.

I'm sure it will be replaced by garbage suce as Warehouse 14: The spinoff to Warehouse 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

liamtech wrote: »
    Im sorry to say this but im glad its cancelled – and for the record im a longterm stargate fan – have every boxset from SG1, SGA, and the films. but lets face it Universe, or as i called Battle-stargate Universica was absolutely terrible – never before did i find myself getting up and leaving the room during the show – it was slow, filled with endless and pointless dialogue, and was generally designed for a wider audience ie “people who dont like SciFi” – Well guess what, they didnt like it – and speaking for myself as a long term Sci Fi Fan (trek, sg1, sga, doctor who, EFC)etc i really never liked it

IT was very slow, uninteresting and generally poorly written - it is what is fast becoming known as Soap opera in space

I wasnt a fan of BSG, or caprica, never watched them - and from what im told im glad i didnt - after all it was god who was apparently running the show, according to one of my BSG fans who cryed when it finished.

Universe was Stargate trying to be BSG - I mean compare an episode of SG1 to Universe - Fast action, dense plot details, Versus slow, dull, please kill that stupid bird who isnt a bird anymore cause of the aliens, stop whinning into that floating ball or kino thing, OH ITS ALL SO DEPRESSING, and terrible - Badly written, way too slow moving ... CRAP

– Il treasure my SG1, and Atlantis DVD’s along with the films (while im on the subject, i would add the second SG1 film wasnt brilliant, Universe made it look brilliant)

There is also the flip side to that where people including myself were growing tired of the sg1 / sga style of show, but found that sgu offered a new breath of life. Such a pity they didn't put a bit more life into the show earlier on then maybe we maybe we would be looking forward to a third season.

liamtech wrote: »
    totally with on terminator series - Brilliant - the best in recent years - SCI FI has evolved into something very different recently - Gone are the rich plot lines of science blended with breathtaking action scenes- replaced with people whinning about relationships and cheating girlfriends
    "Terminator: TSCC" was indeed great, and sorely missed but I don't agree with you on SGU being a bunch of people whining. Or, if it is, then BSG was even more about a bunch of people whinging about their relationship and daddy issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bsg was like that though, but it was written well and the characters tended not to be one dimensional retards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Maybe by cancelling this they'll either start a new spin-off returning to the style of SG-1 and SGA, or make some more movies from them.
    As far as ending SGU is concerned, I think there's a very good chance they will still end it on a cliff-hanger. Not with the intention of finishing up in a movie, but with the intention of it being a dark ending, they don't get home, we don't know what will happen to them, it'll be implied that they just go on, struggling to survive, totally cut off (somehow losing the communication stones), eventually to die off on the other side of the universe. Everything about it has been totally at odds with the franchise that spawned it, and the other two shows had happy endings, with everything tied up nicely, I think that type of ending for SGU would go against the grain of the show.

bsg was like that though, but it was written well and the characters tended not to be one dimensional retards
    For another thread, but I often found BSG's characters (the younger generation anyway), to be emotionally retarded and quite one dimensional, trying out "fraks" a lot in an effort to seem deeper. The older generation, like in SGU, were done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Universe was the best of the three of them :mad: watching re-runs ofSG1 and Atlantis now feels like I'm watching a cartoon(still love them to bits tho). Deep and dark is good. I really hope some other network picks it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Ah Man seriously!!!
    theres no decent si fi on tv at the mo this is the only watchable sifi without this im back to watching sg1 re-runs and i must have seen them all at this rate.
    how depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Johnmb wrote: »
    Maybe by cancelling this they'll either start a new spin-off returning to the style of SG-1 and SGA, or make some more movies from them.
    As far as ending SGU is concerned, I think there's a very good chance they will still end it on a cliff-hanger. Not with the intention of finishing up in a movie, but with the intention of it being a dark ending, they don't get home, we don't know what will happen to them, it'll be implied that they just go on, struggling to survive, totally cut off (somehow losing the communication stones), eventually to die off on the other side of the universe. Everything about it has been totally at odds with the franchise that spawned it, and the other two shows had happy endings, with everything tied up nicely, I think that type of ending for SGU would go against the grain of the show.

I hope they don't make another Stargate, at least not yet. It's time to give it a rest, there's only so long they can flog it. When they do bring it back it needs an almost entirely new creative team behind it, the current bunch have been at it too long and they're bound to be just as worn out as the franchise.

Chances of another movie are bleak since MGM are still bankrupt and apparently the market for direct to DVD movies isn't as favourable as it once was.

From what they're saying it's just going to be the normal end of season cliff hanger which is rubbish. Obviously we'll have to wait until there's an official announcement but from the sounds of things the show is just going to be abandoned. I like your idea on the ending though.
    strife wrote: »
    Ah Man seriously!!!
    theres no decent si fi on tv at the mo this is the only watchable sifi without this im back to watching sg1 re-runs and i must have seen them all at this rate.
    how depressing :(

WATCH FRINGE!

Seriously, Fringe is one of the best shows on tv at the moment :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

"at the moment" is right though, its been moved to the notorius "friday night death slot"!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

i do watch the show and generally like it but its never had the same attraction as sg1 or atlantis.to go from a action based show to a more dramatic show really annoyed a lot of stargate fans who expected guns galore,aliens and spaceships.some of the characters have never impressed either tbh,but in saying that im very dissapointed as the plot was taking a good turning point
    rush discovers signal from begining of time

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

I hope they don't make another Stargate, at least not yet. It's time to give it a rest, there's only so long they can flog it. When they do bring it back it needs an almost entirely new creative team behind it, the current bunch have been at it too long and they're bound to be just as worn out as the franchise.

Chances of another movie are bleak since MGM are still bankrupt and apparently the market for direct to DVD movies isn't as favourable as it once was.

From what they're saying it's just going to be the normal end of season cliff hanger which is rubbish. Obviously we'll have to wait until there's an official announcement but from the sounds of things the show is just going to be abandoned. I like your idea on the ending though.

WATCH FRINGE!

Agreed one of my favourite shows on TV....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Don S Davis is turning in his grave.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sadly no comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

ah yes Fringe, my only reason left now to watch tv, baxtards probably cancel that too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

The only thing left for me to watch now on TV is The big bang theory. At least they have reference to scifi in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Just read the news on gateworld. First I break the screen on my iPhone... and now my favorite TV show is cancelled. Awww man, worst. day. ever.....

Advertisement