Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be irish ?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

in some manifestations patriosm can be like that. it can also be a desire to make your country better, like cleaning your house. it doesnt neccesarily involve a sense of superiority. it can be a sense of disapointment that the country isnt sufficiently just, or good enough in general

Oh I agree with you, but where you say our country could be better, that would require it to be superior or equal to another and there in lies the patriotism as opposed to the sense of wanting to be good for the sake of it

As for it being more just, I wouldn't be happier if we had Sweden's level of free speech and their better, fairer social services, unless every other country had it too. To not want every human to have justice and to be happy with just "your own" being looked after is the scourge of patriotism as far as
    I'm concerned. I get where you're coming from though, I'm not just trying to be pedantic.

In a similar vein, I would have classed myself as a Munster rugby fan, but of late I would appreciate a great game of rugby rather than see munster win an ugly boring match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Oh I agree with you, but where you say our country could be better, that would require it to be superior or equal to another and there in lies the patriotism as opposed to the sense of wanting to be good for the sake of it

As for it being more just, I wouldn't be happier if we had Sweden's level of free speech and their better, fairer social services, unless every other country had it too. To not want every human to have justice and to be happy with just "your own" being looked after is the scourge of patriotism as far as
    I'm concerned. I get where you're coming from though, I'm not just trying to be pedantic.

In a similar vein, I would have classed myself as a Munster rugby fan, but of late I would appreciate a great game of rugby rather than see munster win an ugly boring match.

I would think wanting your country to be better would imply thinking your country is inferior. at least thats what i meant.

well not inferior, but predicated on learning from where other countries do things in a better way. Sweden as you say is a prime example...except the off licences

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Quick answer, no.

Longer answer, I see patriotism as an outdated emotion in the age of cheap global travel, nearly everyone i know has seen other parts of the world inaccessible to their grandparents a mere 50 years ago. Your country of birth is outside of your control so it seems rather naive to assume pride in ones country and history.

You could say that about anything including your family or yourself eg so what if you done well in college you were lucky to be born intelligent into a family who inspired you to do well so its nothing to be proud of just luck.
    Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it
    - George Bernard Shaw

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious
    - Oscar Wilde

Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy.
    - George Bernard Shaw

You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
    -George Bernard Shaw

GBS is looking at it from a negative point of view. Maybe he lived a troubled life? I think some people don't like the rules of society so they rebel and want to disassociate themselves with things they don't like or have an inferiority complex about.

Weak willed people would change themselves to appear more appealing to the people who they want to like them. I know somebody who went to Dubline some years back to work in law and after a few years developed a D4 accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

profitius wrote: »
    The same people who thinks there should be no borders would never let their home be free for everybody to use.

I fail to see the link...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Double Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Quick answer, no.

Longer answer, I see patriotism as an outdated emotion in the age of cheap global travel, nearly everyone i know has seen other parts of the world inaccessible to their grandparents a mere 50 years ago. Your country of birth is outside of your control so it seems rather naive to assume pride in ones country and history.

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it
    - George Bernard Shaw

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious
    - Oscar Wilde

Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy.
    - George Bernard Shaw

You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Your country makes you who you are. Would i want to be from any other country?... when i think about it not really. Sure every country has its pros and cons. Being from ireland with everything that has happened even before i was born i believe has given me a unique outlook on life. Iv seen so many good things here that you probally wouldnt see anywhere else on the planet. I have seen irish people in every walk of life from sport to science achieve great things... to not be proud of your country would be to admit others are better than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Obviously.. 100% Irish and ****in proud to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

not anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

It's like saying you're proud to be 5'8".

or

you're proud to have a genetic predisposition to bowel cancer.

It's an accident of birth.

I'm not ashamed of being Irish nor am I proud, I'm Irish and that's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

It's like saying you're proud to be 5'8".

or

you're proud to have a genetic predisposition to bowel cancer.

It's an accident of birth.

I'm not ashamed of being Irish nor am I proud, I'm Irish and that's that.

That is, if you think of being Irish as a negative thing. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

godscop wrote: »
    Ok lets talk about the merits of sprouts:rolleyes:

Yummy,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056121029&highlight=brussel+sprouts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

If your not proud and patriotic about your country then there's not much hope for you or Ireland.

It's good to be proud of your country, especially when times are tough, shows some guts and fortitude, good on you OP.

So many Irish leaving because times are tough, who wants a quitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Mostly except when I see Irish wearing english football tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

That is, if you think of being Irish as a negative thing. :rolleyes:

Your reply doesn't quite scan, can you elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

old_aussie wrote: »
    If your not proud and patriotic about your country then there's not much hope for you or Ireland.

It's good to be proud of your country, especially when times are tough, shows some guts and fortitude, good on you OP.

I'm trying to understand what's patriotic about sitting on the scratch for an indefinite amount of time because there are no positions of employment in one's line of expertise and I'm hitting a brick wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

To be proud of something I believe one has to WORK at something ,through thick and thin,then you can be proud of the result.

What has anyone ever done to be proud of a country ???

It is an accident of birth.Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

old_aussie wrote: »

As an Irishman who left when times were reasonable, I can tell you that this is rubbish. I have goals and dreams as an indiviaual that were never going to be attained in the Irish climate and had nothing to do with such a limiting concept as patriotism.]

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

Im lusty for being irish ;)

Advertisement