Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be irish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

godscop wrote: »
    Ok, im irish and i love my country. During the celtic tiger i felt we turned into a greedy, materialistic nation. Now the bubble has burst i think we bury our heads in the sand. Lets worry about the rubberbandits, x factor, sprouts, anything other than the mess we are in. Our children will ask what did we do about the government ? We can answer we went on facebook and went to the pub and voted for mary byrne. I despair of this country and what we have become.

*puts on helmet*

Looks like you've offended those who like xfactor etc.... well done! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

you all complained when the celtic tiger was at its height!
    nowadays whats the difference, besides the ecomomic shift; what's the difference in you? you still complain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

We've got fcuking nothing to be proud of. Our country is in a god damn awful mess and we are going to lie down and take it all and fcuking reward all those responsible for getting us here. Unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Culchies aren't Irish! They're just culchies:mad:

We saw how Irish the Culchies were in 1916,,,, They went into hiding.

Nothing has changed, they will whinge and moan all day looking for someoen to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

ilovesleep wrote: »
    We've got fcuking nothing to be proud of. Our country is in a god damn awful mess and we are going to lie down and take it all and fcuking reward all those responsible for getting us here. Unbelievable!

I for one am very proud of this Country. We are not even 100 years old as an independent state.
    We have a good education system , we have a reasonable health system, Our road infrastructure has improved greatly over the past 20 years, as has our transport systems generally. Yes they could all be improved but you have to live in the real world where it can always be better.
    I remember the days when austerity was chipping the ice of the inside of your window to look out to see what the weather was like. Take a walk through any housing estate and look at the number of cars at each house and then tell me the this Country is finished.
    We have 14% unemployment, 3% never worked so we are at 11%. That’s 89% working.
    I agree the Banks are a total disgrace, the Government has not connected to the people and we have a lot of people who have nothing. But it seems all we want to do is blame someone. It’s time to do what the Irish do, get the sleeves up and get stuck in. Not matter what job you have if everyone makes a little more effort you will make that organisation more productive and that is the only road out of the trouble we are in.

• Advertisement

The irish absolutely disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Is the question am i proud of being Irish? The annswer is yes.

If the question is am i proud of having to take a loan from europe and the IMF? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There was a poll a few weeks ago showing every country in the eu and how proud people are of coming from there.

Ireland came first, Germany last.

Anyone able to find it out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 de Lehman Bruddars

One Lithuanian said to me:

"I think the reason you Irish are so ugly and insane is because you are so inbred"

The sterotype is true. We are ugly drunken buffoons, but loveably charming and twee with a wee shillelagh and the tam o'shanter and do begorragh and bejaysus boyo, to be sure.

*cringe/shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fitzerb wrote: »
    I for one am very proud of this Country. We are not even 100 years old as an independent state.
    We have a good education system , we have a reasonable health system, Our road infrastructure has improved greatly over the past 20 years, as has our transport systems generally. Yes they could all be improved but you have to live in the real world where it can always be better.
    I remember the days when austerity was chipping the ice of the inside of your window to look out to see what the weather was like. Take a walk through any housing estate and look at the number of cars at each house and then tell me the this Country is finished.
    We have 14% unemployment, 3% never worked so we are at 11%. That’s 89% working.
    I agree the Banks are a total disgrace, the Government has not connected to the people and we have a lot of people who have nothing. But it seems all we want to do is blame someone. It’s time to do what the Irish do, get the sleeves up and get stuck in. Not matter what job you have if everyone makes a little more effort you will make that organisation more productive and that is the only road out of the trouble we are in.

You still don't say what it is your proud of. I mean, what exactly does being Irish mean to you?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Definitely proud to be Irish but we need to cop onto ourselves a bit. Irish people have the gift of being able to whinge about everything but when it comes down to it we do fook all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I couldn't care less what I am - in that sense I won't take seriously praise on the basis of my Irishness, nor will I accept abuse on the basis of my Irishness. I do laugh at people though who are Irish and make really venomous comments about how the Irish disgust them etc (not talking about reasonable criticism of aspects of Ireland) as if they're magically separate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

"I think the reason you Irish are so ugly and insane is because you are so inbred"

Aye, well my simple answer to that chap is we've loads of time to drink and work, unlike Lithuania where they have spent most of their time being russia' bitch.

And while we're glad to hear he can now have an opinion afforded to him since russia finally got sick of trying to manage these little ****wit countries that nobody wants - not even Germany - why are half his comrads over here?

The weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm not even proud to be human. We are a greedy, self-destructive, paranoid and intolerant species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I agree with this. And people want my country to join your country. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Are you sure they didn't mean:
    "I think the reason you, Irishman, are so ugly and insane, is because you are so inbred."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Complete rubbish.

Seriousuly? A bunch of fatcat bankers and an endemically corrupt governemnt? And you want me to ****ing die for them??? You, sir, are out of your gourd.

where did i ever say die... did you not understard the last part of what i said?.. there are more was to fight for the country than picking up a weapon.

twinytwo wrote: »
    where did i ever say die... did you not understard the last part of what i said?.. there are more was to fight for the country than picking up a weapon.

You can fight and die without ever picking up a weapon.

But whether it's a case of figthing with or without violence, the question remains the same. What, exactly, do you want people to fight for when you say "everyone should be willing to fight for their country"? The current system or corruption and greed? I#m pretty sure that's not what people fought for when they fought for independence, armed or otherwise.

You can fight and die without ever picking up a weapon.

But whether it's a case of figthing with or without violence, the question remains the same. What, exactly, do you want people to fight for when you say "everyone should be willing to fight for their country"? The current system or corruption and greed? I#m pretty sure that's not what people fought for when they fought for independence, armed or otherwise.

What will we fight for? We need FF to go completely. The eu is screwing us over and our government do not have the balls to stand up to them and say enough is enough and cuts the banks loose. We need FF to go and allow FG/Labour/Sinn Fein to take over or allow all 3 to take over to work together and get the best possible deal for ireland. Thats what i want. Dont know about anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

proud of our past - ashamed of our present - fearful of our future.

we are now being run by a bunch of thieving corropt egotistical kn*bheads and it also seems the airwaves are full of people not in their right minds. who are we to turn to, to get the level headed truth.

this county has been ruined by greed, ignorence and of course its left to the joe soap to pick up the pieces.

all pride in this country is gone - and mary mcalees coming on telling how "what a good little country we are" makes me so mad - who was it that got her in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It wasn't the government, the banks, developers or the recession that ruined this country, it was the Celtic tiger. It produced a whole generation of spoilt pampered materialistic people who thought they had a right to own three properties and a 4x4.

Every other generation understands that if you want something, you work for it and wealth does not appear over night.

I wish people would stop going on about the government with the mistaken belief that a change is suddenly going.to bring loads of jobs and return life to the good old spend spend spend times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Im Irish. Born and raised.
    But I never got all this to be proud or patriotism crap. Sure i'll always be irish and dublin will always be where I grew up. But thats it.

Patriotism is rather stupid.

What will we fight for? We need FF to go completely. The eu is screwing us over and our government do not have the balls to stand up to them and say enough is enough and cuts the banks loose. We need FF to go and allow FG/Labour/Sinn Fein to take over or allow all 3 to take over to work together and get the best possible deal for ireland. Thats what i want. Dont know about anyone else.

I'd see that as fighting for an ideals rather than fighting for a country so, while valid, it still doesn't really answer my question as to what fighting for Ireland means.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Im Irish but have lived in Australia for the last 18 months. I often wonder about the whole concept of Irishness? What does it mean, how is it defined? It's a difficult one to answer, I think.
    I am over here to give my kids the best opportunities to pursue whatever it is they might need in relation to lifestyle, education, career. I enjoy it here but am always going to be an outsider looking in.
    Do I miss Ireland? No. But then why do I feel the need to keep up to date with the news from Ireland everyday?
    Do I feel Irish? I don't know, honestly. I am proud of our history but not of what we became. I think we are easily led and believed the lies of our leaders. Does that make us part of the problem? I don't believe so.
    But there is just something within us I don't fully understand, some trait that I just don't get. An example of this is Fianna Fail are going to be wiped out in the election. I understand that but between 15 and 20% of people will still vote for them. Who are these people? Why would anybody anywhere honestly believe that our leaders deserve re-election? I understand it may be the believe of the best of a bad lot but even that does not stand up. I cannot get my head around it, never could. Anyway, I'm sure my comments will add to the debate but come no closer to our understanding of who we are.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I agree with this. And people want my country to join your country. :rolleyes:

You mean Northern Ireland? Well I've news for you, Britian is going bankrupt too so there won't be too much of a difference in wealth in a few years.

Imagine there's no countries...
    It isn't hard to dooo....

The same people who thinks there should be no borders would never let their home be free for everybody to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Do you see waterworld :eek: shíte!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Quick answer, no.

Longer answer, I see patriotism as an outdated emotion in the age of cheap global travel, nearly everyone i know has seen other parts of the world inaccessible to their grandparents a mere 50 years ago. Your country of birth is outside of your control so it seems rather naive to assume pride in ones country and history.

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it
    - George Bernard Shaw

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious
    - Oscar Wilde

Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy.
    - George Bernard Shaw

You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
    -George Bernard Shaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Quick answer, no.

Longer answer, I see patriotism as an outdated emotion in the age of cheap global travel, nearly everyone i know has seen other parts of the world inaccessible to their grandparents a mere 50 years ago. Your country of birth is outside of your control so it seems rather naive to assume pride in ones country and history.

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it
    - George Bernard Shaw

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious
    - Oscar Wilde

Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy.
    - George Bernard Shaw

You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
    -George Bernard Shaw

in some manifestations patriosm can be like that. it can also be a desire to make your country better, like cleaning your house. it doesnt neccesarily involve a sense of superiority. it can be a sense of disapointment that the country isnt sufficiently just, or good enough in general

Advertisement