Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are women more bisexual than men?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

And generally girls tend to feel more comfortable around other naked girls such as in changing rooms than men do around other naked men.

I don't think that part is true tbh. If I ever go to the gym with a female friend she's always out of the changing room way before me, she says that hardly anybody in the women's room goes for a shower. She finds it funny how men get bollock naked in front of each other and have a shower. :pac:
    Really? I have always found the guys I suspect of having some hidden gay tendencies tend to be the ones who are uncomfortable in dressing rooms. Among people I know that is. I'm not the slightest bit uncomfortable myself, it's the human body and it's a beautiful thing....in most cases. I don't see it as something to be uncomfortable about, and as I said, it's the guys who are a little in the closet who I have noticed are most uncomfortable.

That said, I could be just seeing evidence for my own preconceptions, though I tend to not do that.

Hidden is the key part of that theory. ;) Openly gay guy, I don't feel the slightest bit uncomfortable in a changing room, nor do I gawk at anyone as some men might think. :rolleyes:

I think the whole theory of women being more bisexual than men is a fantasy of the heterosexual man more than anything else. Granted, girls would kiss each other far easier than a guy would kiss another guy, but I think this is due to girls and women being less uptight and concerned about image when it comes to sexuality. Just because they kiss someone from their own gender doesn't mean they're actually attracted to them sexually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

gothicus wrote: »
    bisexual?? isnt that just another word for confused?? Big time!
    Does one feel any cognitive dissonance over the fact they like both apples and oranges?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Does one feel any cognitive dissonance over the fact they like both apples and oranges?
    No because it's an entirely different thing. You may be born to find sweet tastes pleasurable, but you're not born to like apples and/or oranges. It's a learned thing. However brainscans show differences between gay and straight people. At least those at the extreme end of both sides. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7456588.stm Basically Gay men have more hetrosexual female brain structures in certain areas. Gay women have more hetrosexual male brain structures. This is likely set in the womb(probably around the time the foetus is exposed to testosterone) Seems to have a genetic component(gay men tend to run in families, more than they don't. Never saw results of DNA tendencies in gay women). It's not a "choice".

I saw another interesting one with regard to fingerprints, specifically thumbprints. More specifically symmetry between them. IIRC straight men's thumbprint whorls show a clear difference between the right and left thumbs. Straight women show more commonality in their left and right prints. Gay men are more like straight women in this respect. Gay women are more like straight men. However for both that finding and the brainscan one, in men both the brains and the thumbprints are pretty good indicators of their sexual orientation. In women it's indicative but not nearly as clear, which would backup the idea that women are more likely to be BI. Again with these studies I wish they'd look at "very" Bi men and women. Are they biologically feminised or masculanised? Or are they in the middle range? I suspect the latter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd have thought it was simply a case of: two lads would feel threatened doing so, two women... not only wouldn't feel threatened but would get positive attention for it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Who could fail to be turned on by a sexy lesbian?

(Not suitable for work, home, or indeed anywhere)

You evil bast@rd :eek:, why did I click on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Wibbs wrote: »
    No because it's an entirely different thing. You may be born to find sweet tastes pleasurable, but you're not born to like apples and/or oranges. It's a learned thing. However brainscans show differences between gay and straight people. At least those at the extreme end of both sides. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7456588.stm Basically Gay men have more hetrosexual female brain structures in certain areas. Gay women have more hetrosexual male brain structures. This is likely set in the womb(probably around the time the foetus is exposed to testosterone) Seems to have a genetic component(gay men tend to run in families, more than they don't. Never saw results of DNA tendencies in gay women). It's not a "choice".

I saw another interesting one with regard to fingerprints, specifically thumbprints. More specifically symmetry between them. IIRC straight men's thumbprint whorls show a clear difference between the right and left thumbs. Straight women show more commonality in their left and right prints. Gay men are more like straight women in this respect. Gay women are more like straight men. However for both that finding and the brainscan one, in men both the brains and the thumbprints are pretty good indicators of their sexual orientation. In women it's indicative but not nearly as clear, which would backup the idea that women are more likely to be BI. Again with these studies I wish they'd look at "very" Bi men and women. Are they biologically feminised or masculanised? Or are they in the middle range? I suspect the latter.
    It was intended as a ridiculously simplistic soundbite in response to a ridiculously simplistic analysis of sexuality, but I'm always happy to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Imagine being asexual. You wake up in the morning and there's another you in the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Here's a question, would someone consider it bad behaviour if their woman decided to eat the face off her friend on the dance floor?

Same question reversed for the ladies, as unlikely as that is.

I once got angry at a girlfriend for such an act and was greeted with the 'I don't understand, what are you angry about?' face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Davidius wrote: »
    Imagine being asexual. You wake up in the morning and there's another you in the bed.

But are you the original or the copy? Who owns the house now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

kowloon wrote: »
    But are you the original or the copy? Who owns the house now?
    None of that matters as it's assumed you would fight to the death for the sake of population control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh I reckon there's a lot of cultural stuff going on. Obvious even cliched example, some ancient Greek states. Where men on men action and older man younger man stuff went on. They had quite strict rules around it though. Gay paradise for a modern gay fella it was not. The men married late for the time(30) so in their late teens and 20's it was either hookers or other men for the most part. Women were in general seen and not heard, especially high born women. Men continuing with other men after marriage was frowned upon. I wonder if you ran the experiment I mentioned above would you get a different result? I'd still suspect women would be more turned on by overall, rather than specific sexual imagry and stimuli.

The bi thang always interested me. I mean I can put myself in a gay lads or lasses head. In the sense that I was born attracted to women, so if in the morning I woke up a woman and that part didnt change, there's no way I'm gonna be able to pass myself off as a straight woman. I just wouldnt be attracted to guys. Ditto if I woke up tomorrow as a gay guy and had that same attraction aimed at men, I could well imagine not being able to pass as straight. Major "ugh" time. The bi thing throws me though in that they can be physically attracted to both. I can understand an emotional attraction alright. I mean we're all emotionally attracted to and compatible with same sex mates, but there's a huge disconnect between that and finding them physically attractive. Another angle; there have been women I've known who emotionally I'm not attracted to at all, even actively dislike them as people, but I'd be and have been all over them like a cheap suit. Basically my willy is not particularly connected to my heart or mind. It can be, but that's a bonus rather than a given.

Actually maybe that's part of the Bi women thing of the topic? While women are just as aroused and horny as men, they tend to also have that thing where someone they initially dont get the horn for grows as they become more emotionally attracted. So if that happens to be another woman...

I can completely agree with that in a general sense. Emotionally I can understand how an attraction might grow between two women, sometimes based on an initial physical reaction and sometimes growing over prolonged time spent in each others company. To an extent it might explain why people realise much later in life that they're not predominantly straight; when they figure out that what has been lacking is certain emotional need fulfillment.

Personally though, I am the total opposite. Am I physically attracted to women? Yes absolutely. Emotionally? **** no. I lack patience when dealing with men's insecurities/foibles/maintenance, I can only imagine how difficult I would find emotionally satisfying another woman to be. That's a bit of a generalisation I know, not all women are hard work, but I do prefer the more laid back approach toward relationships that most of the men in my life have shown.

So I guess in that sense I can relate to your detached nethers at odds with your head. I might look at a hot girl and think, "Wouldn't kick her out of the bed for eating crips," but would I want expend the effort to woo her? Nah. Emotionally women don't fulfill me, men do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

kowloon wrote: »
    Here's a question, would someone consider it bad behaviour if their woman decided to eat the face off her friend on the dance floor?

Same question reversed for the ladies, as unlikely as that is.

I once got angry at a girlfriend for such an act and was greeted with the 'I don't understand, what are you angry about?' face.

That's a personal and individual issue, and there's no right or wrong answer, it all boils down to what is acceptable to you and what isn't. If it was a case that your girlfriend kisses other girls on a regular basis it should really be cleared with you as to whether you're okay with that happening or not. If you would tend to view that as outright cheating you're very entitled to think that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

gothicus wrote: »
    bisexual?? isnt that just another word for confused?? Big time!

Or another word for Greedy!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Women are sexier than men so its only natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Sisko wrote: »
    Women are sexier than men so its only natural.

And welcome!!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think women are more comfortable with the "shades of grey" - Kinsey 1 or 5 etc. Men tend to identify more in terms of absolutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

<_<

>_>

*Fap*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Davidius wrote: »
    Does that work for twins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,985 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ultimately, no one person is ever truly heterosexual. There is always that little bit of us all that can be attracted to the same sex.

Deny any man or woman intimacy, and you wouuld be surprised at what
    lengths they would go to get it. It is in our chemistry. We need intimacy
    as much as the air we breathe.

I would say that women in general are more likely to be bisexual.
    For one, openly being affectionate is more natural and easy for them.

They can hug, cuddle, share a bed, even a kiss and be rather easy going
    about it. With men, this is a no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Wibbs: I’m buying you new finger tips for Christmas. The ones you have now must be well worn out :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

What do you call an Irish lesbian?

Gaelic.
    Do you mean Gaelic Gay-lick or Irish Gay-lick?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭colc1

WindSock wrote: »
    I think women find women attractive or more aesthetically pleasing than men in many cases, hence the reason why women are used more to sell products to women and in general.

Exactly...there's no doubt that women are more bisexual most straight guys are repulsed by the thought of even touching never mind kissing a bloke whereas woman sure they're all over each other on a night out, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭colc1

walshb wrote: »
    Ultimately, no one person is ever truly heterosexual. There is always that little bit of us all that can be attracted to the same sex.

Wind up right? I'm a bloke first of all, there's hugging but the rest is another story no way in hell haha I dont necessarily agree that women are more open about affection either depends on the person I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

(Not suitable for work, home, or indeed anywhere)

oh dear god:( i knew clicking on the link was a bad idea.ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

walshb wrote: »

Err... I don't think I can ever even imagine getting intimate with another man. Its just eurgh!! It'ld be revolting rather than anything 'intimate' or 'sexy' or anything. And this is not some social thing. I just can't be with another man even if we're the last humans left on the face of the planet, all naked with nothing else to do but waste time!

So yeah. I can very confidently say I have no homosexual or bisexual tendencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jclarke

Well personally i think bisexual women are so attractive when you see them embrassing eachother it bring a sort of tingle to some areas... wat do you mo *** as think???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Bisexual women are more bisexual than heterosexual or homosexual men. Bisexual men are more bisexual than heterosexual or homosexual women. Bisexual women are equally as bisexual as bisexual men.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

pages and pages of wishful thinkin hahhahaah :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm attracted to masculinity. Obviously I've no qualms about hugging etc my female friends and I enjoy looking at pictures of women in the sense of "Oh she looks fab"... but the idea of getting intimate with a woman does absolutely nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

To some extent ya, like some girls start to fancy boys first then girls but leave it at that! While guys to be honest some can be more bi than gay though. That's entirely my own view point on it. Guys that are quiet hetero can fancy both girls and boys too! Guys that are gay well they won't kiss a girl would they but they'd kiss a guy! Most girls whether straight or bi or lesbian are more than likely all have kissed a guy at some point even if they kissed a girl!

Advertisement