Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel safe in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Shenshen wrote: »
    I really don't want to come across as a smart-arse, but with having spent most of your life in Ireland, if you were to become the victim of assault or bullying, chances are it would happen in Ireland, wouldn't it?..

Seeing as they all happened in Dublin in the last couple of years, and I have lived in Dublin for roughly the same length of time as I have spent abroad I'd say the chances are about equal.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    I've lived here for near enough a decade now and haven't been the victim of any harassment or anything, but have made such experiences while I grew up in Germany..

....and didn't I say I wouldn't expect it to happen in most of the country? This thread isn't "Is Ireland more dangerous than X?".... it's "Do you feel safe in Ireland", like I have said I have felt safer living in other cities than I do living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

If you want to compare Ireland to 3rd world countries or countries with murder statistics that make the Afghanistan war look good be my guest.

Ireland is not as safe as it should be for it's level of development, there's an issue there and it's clear if you live and travel around Asia or large parts of Europe with a similar level of economic and infrastructure development (no I don't compare to UK because UK suffers from the same severe anti-social issues yet weak law enforcement as in Ireland).

If you think Ireland is unsafe, don't even think about travelling the world.

I have travelled the world, the problem is your LOW expectations from your own living environment, why is it not SAFER. Why is it seemingly (and probably in reality) becoming more unsafe? Also the feeling of safety does not have to be relative, the question is, 'do you feel safe in Ireland'...read the question folks!

Don't compare a smelly turd with an even bigger smellier turd! It's like the kid who gets a D in a test but proudly protests he didn't fail.

Alcohol, drugs, weak law enforcement, out of date justice system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

maninasia wrote: »
    Ah hah, but in Ireland it's not only knackers who get kicks from 'kicking off' but large parts of the population are quite agressive after drink/drugs. I was back in Ireland recently for a quick trip, some drunk dude randomly lashed out at me on the street (wanted to start a fight, two against one, they were obviously drunk and frustrated about something looking for a target), has never happened to me in 15 years of living in Asia...not once!
    Sorry, you're addressing someone who's a stickler when it comes to the use of "drugs" as a catch-all term for a wide array of substances with different effects - you wouldn't expect much trouble from a group on MDMA, for example.

I’d agree that booze and coke coke can make criminals of normally calm people, and sociopaths of those of a less placid inclination. Doubly so when they’re used in conjunction which, in Ireland, they invariably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Ireland is an exceedingly safe place.

Not saying its perfect or the safest place on Earth, but its damn good.
    Places I've though were even better - Japan. That's all.

Everywhere else I've been I've felt were less safe.
    Every British city I've been to, every French, German, Russian, American, Canadian, Belgian, Spanish, etc. etc.

Dublin feels to me safer than any of these. The closest I've felt to Dublin was in Berlin, Madrid and Boston. Though I'd have to spend more time in each to be sure.

To this day I've not been in a fight in Dublin, nor been robbed in any way, and neither have my closer friends (at least not that I know of), whereas the same can not be said for incidents I've experienced first/second hand in other places.

• Advertisement

Don't know where you live or what you do but it's completely the opposite of my experience of Dublin and large parts of Ireland. Fights are a common part of going to school in Ireland, ever enter Dublin on a Friday/Saturday night, it's electric and buzzing early on but as the night wears on and the frustrated drunks emerge en-masse on the street you can cut the air with a knife. I used to cycle down O'Connell street on Sat nights, would literally have to veer out of the way of random drunk people shouting, trying to block the bike etc...bizarre.
    Go into a chipper in the city centre or any suburb? Take a bus? Take a dart? Hang around a dart station? Stealing cars, burning them out, stealing and vandalising private and public property...always been endemic in Ireland. Muggings not so much but I hear they are on the increase.

BTW, there are more countries like Japan out there and then many that fit in between Ireland's level of general 'unsafeness/random petty crime' and Japan's level of safeness.

Here’s an important observation to bear in mind in discussions such as these, where people are matching anecdote with anecdote as a means to back up their argument:

The experiences of the individual do not necessarily accurately represent those of the population as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Pace2008 wrote: »
    The experiences of the individual do not necessarily accurately represent those of the population as a whole.

Which is precisely why some people need to read the question again. :D Nothing wrong with personal anecdotes to back up personal feelings.

prinz wrote: »
    Which is precisely why some people need to read the question again. :D
    Absolutely, I originally addressed the question as it was asked.

That was aimed more at the poster who seems to be categorically stating that Ireland is less safe than other countries because they've been around the world and have encountered more trouble here than elsewhere.

I think it's obvious that there are many small incidences of crime or threatening behaviour around Ireland in plain sight everyday. I can't see how anybody can't see that on an objective level. Take a bus, take a dart, go into any town/city centre on a Friday or Saturday night.

Then it comes down to the fact on whether YOU personally feel unsafe or not. You might genuinely not feel the danger. Maybe if you travel more you can change your views and come back and think Ireland is safer, or less safe in your own opinion (it's a bit like happiness no matter how much money you have...it is supposedly all relative except for those in abject poverty).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's truly ludicrous to say Ireland overall is unsafe. Of course there are pockets of it where people feel constantly threatened - and it's absolutely horrible that such places exist - but these do not make up the full picture by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Lol@ asia being safe. Northeast Asia and China (police state) maybe.
    South-East Asia is not safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Nope. I live in the countryside and I don't even feel safe here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Not really, maybe I would feel different if I were 6 foot tall and a man and able to defend myself but as myself I don't feel safe out by myself when its dark most of the time. Its just that there is no punishment for things like rape/assault/mugging. No-one ever seems to get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

no I do not think it is safe - especially if you are a non white e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

kuntboy wrote: »
    Lol@ asia being safe. Northeast Asia and China (police state) maybe.
    South-East Asia is not safe.
    Yeah Japan is has extremely low levels of crime all right but that's hardly representative of Asia.
    cocoshovel wrote: »
    Nope. I live in the countryside and I don't even feel safe here.
    Not really, maybe I would feel different if I were 6 foot tall and a man and able to defend myself but as myself I don't feel safe out by myself when its dark most of the time. Its just that there is no punishment for things like rape/assault/mugging. No-one ever seems to get charged.
    Tbh, that just seems more like a fear of something happening (which could be applied to anywhere) rather than feeling unsafe because of stuff that's actually going on.

Japan is very bad for crimes against women though, they had to open up whole new train cars specially for women only because of the level of men groping girls was so high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Perceptions do not always meet reality. Ireland is very safe in comparison to many other countries. Here is a review listing the top 10 safest countries in the world. Ireland makes it in to the top 10 safest countries.
    The green island famous for its culture, whiskey and beer is also one of the safest countries in the world. It has one of the lowest homicide rates in Europe – 0.32 per 100,000 people. The numbers also show that Dublin is far less dangerous than the major cities in Japan, Australia or Canada!

http://www.tourism-review.com/top-10-safest-countries-in-the-world-news2185

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Being brought up in Glasgow then moving to Dublin just over 10 years ago I feel it a lot safer over here.

Just to add I have had weekends in Newry,Belfast,Kilkenny,Waterford,Cork and a few rural towns and all have felt way safer than a night out in Glasgow city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I feel safe in cork, to be honest where i am is a safe place to live. occasionally there is trouble but nothing too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

maybe if everybody weren't the following: spoiled Mammies Boy's/Daddy's Little Girls, Shut In's afraid of shadows, Scumbag Drug Dealers, Scaldy junkies, afraid to play in the muck and became realistic about life and death then we might not be a nation of pansies.

"According to a certain person, a number of years ago Matsuguma Kyoan told this story :
    In the practice of medicine there is a differentiation of treatment according to the Yin and Yang of men and women.
    There is also a difference in pulse. In the last fifty years, however, men's pulse has become the same as women's.
    Noticing this, in the treatment of eye disease I applied women's treatment to men and found it suitable. When I
    observed the application of men's treatment to men, there was no result. Thus I knew that men's spirit had weakened
    and that they had become the same as women, and the end of the world had come. Since I witnessed this with
    certainty, I kept it a secret.
    When looking at the men of today with this in mind, those who could be thought to have a woman's pulse are many
    indeed, and those who seem like real men few. Because of this, if one were to make a little effort, he would be able to
    take the upper hand quite easily. That there are few men who arc able to cut well in beheadings is further proof that
    men's courage has waned. And when one comes to speak of kaishaku, it has become an age of men who are prudent
    and clever at making excuses. Forty or fifty years ago, when such things as matanuki were considered manly, a man
    wouldn't show an unscarred thigh to his fellows, so he would pierce it himself.
    All of man's work is a bloody business. That fact, today, is considered foolish, affairs are finished cleverly with words
    alone, and jobs that require effort are avoided. I would like young men to have some understanding of this."

Nice to know being female is indicative of the end of the world :rolleyes:

Nice to know being female is indicative of the end of the world :rolleyes:

Maybe in your perfect Little Mrs World. Jeezus@thepentagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

You beat scumbag - you get 3 years.

Scumbag beats you up - he gets slap on wrist.

If you were attacked which would you rather be?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

shampon wrote: »
    maybe if everybody weren't the following: spoiled Mammies Boy's/Daddy's Little Girls, Shut In's afraid of shadows, Scumbag Drug Dealers, Scaldy junkies, afraid to play in the muck and became realistic about life and death then we might not be a nation of pansies.

"According to a certain person, a number of years ago Matsuguma Kyoan told this story :
    In the practice of medicine there is a differentiation of treatment according to the Yin and Yang of men and women.
    There is also a difference in pulse. In the last fifty years, however, men's pulse has become the same as women's.
    Noticing this, in the treatment of eye disease I applied women's treatment to men and found it suitable. When I
    observed the application of men's treatment to men, there was no result. Thus I knew that men's spirit had weakened
    and that they had become the same as women, and the end of the world had come. Since I witnessed this with
    certainty, I kept it a secret.
    When looking at the men of today with this in mind, those who could be thought to have a woman's pulse are many
    indeed, and those who seem like real men few. Because of this, if one were to make a little effort, he would be able to
    take the upper hand quite easily. That there are few men who arc able to cut well in beheadings is further proof that
    men's courage has waned. And when one comes to speak of kaishaku, it has become an age of men who are prudent
    and clever at making excuses. Forty or fifty years ago, when such things as matanuki were considered manly, a man
    wouldn't show an unscarred thigh to his fellows, so he would pierce it himself.
    All of man's work is a bloody business. That fact, today, is considered foolish, affairs are finished cleverly with words
    alone, and jobs that require effort are avoided. I would like young men to have some understanding of this."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Op what do you mean?? Are you just talking about crime or in general?

Because in Ireland we don't have
    1-Hurricanes
    2-Tornadoes
    3-Earthquakes
    4-Warfare
    5-Terrorism (anymore thankfully)
    6-Massive levels of disease
    7-A police state
    8-Drug wars a la Mexico

I could go on.

If you're talking about crime alone, most Irish cities rank quite low on the scale mostly due to size. Oddly enough the most violent and crime plagued city in Europe per capita is Brussels of all places.

However as many people have said in most other European and North American cities crime is confined to certain areas that you don't go into whereas in Ireland even O'Connell street in Dublin is infested with scumbags and junkies at 1 o clock in the daytime while a night out in Irish cities has far higher levels of aggression than anywhere I've seen.

As a point of interest I feel far, far, far safer on nights out in Belfast than I do in Dublin or Galway. There just doesn't seem to be the same scumbaggery element present or maybe it's not tolerated.

legend365 wrote: »
    You beat scumbag - you get 3 years.

Scumbag beats you up - he gets slap on wrist.

If you were attacked which would you rather be?

What is the point on going and beating up a scumbag for no reason. If you go around beating people up you deserve the three years if however, he actually defends himself and beats you he deserves the slap on the wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Safe enough I suppose.

davrho wrote: »
    Being brought up in Glasgow then moving to Dublin just over 10 years ago I feel it a lot safer over here.

Just to add I have had weekends in Newry,Belfast,Kilkenny,Waterford,Cork and a few rural towns and all have felt way safer than a night out in Glasgow city centre.

You are from Glasgow after all!

• Advertisement

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Perceptions do not always meet reality. Ireland is very safe in comparison to many other countries. Here is a review listing the top 10 safest countries in the world. Ireland makes it in to the top 10 safest countries.

http://www.tourism-review.com/top-10-safest-countries-in-the-world-news2185

Absolute BS that list. Half of them are little islands, thrown together it was. Are we saying Norway or Finland or the average city in Germany or Holland is going to be rougher than Ireland?
    Also large countries obviously have pockets of high crime areas and then areas of hardly any crime. Then you've got countries like Korea and Taiwan that are super safe not mentioned at all! Then there's people who have probably never been to Japan saying it's 'crime-ridden' cos of a few dodgy pervs on the train even though they have women only carriages first, a trend that has been copied all around the world!

Advertisement