Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel safe in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Yes. As they say the strong survive, if you can't defend yourself good luck to you as you are not one of the strong.

Are you smart, strong and can handle yourself? I am and can. Good luck to those that can't. I guess I won't be looking for you when the zombies come :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

The Walking Dead isn't actually real you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

No but then again, i live in and around **** parts of dublin. felt safer elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Walking Dead isn't actually real you know.

...don't know about that...you ever been on the 56A?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I feel really safe.

Especially since I bought an AK-47.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I feel safe but that's mainly because I haven't turned on a tv in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Have felt safer elsewhere tbh, on the continent and the US. Never felt the same feeling of having to look over your shoulder on the way home from a night out etc.

Don't find Ireland particular bad for violence but I do think there is a general feeling of unease and a culture of looking the other way and ignoring anti-social behaviour and low level scumbaggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Everytime I venture outside I strap hotdogs to my chest and have Scalectrix controllers tied to the sleeves of my jacket. So anytime someone comes near I rip open my jacket and vow to blow everyone up.

It's the only way I can keep safe in this crazy, crazy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

it's not a question of do i feel safe in ireland, it's whether ireland should feel safe with me around.

in offaly - country fear you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

What an odd question.
    I feel extremely safe here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Do you people not watch crimeline :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I was robbed on the way to mass. They just picked me up and put me in a van. I have the laptop though and from what the adverts on redtube are telling me I'm somewhere in Wicklow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In general Ireland is a pretty safe country by EU standards and very safe by comparison to places like Mexico say. What I have found in my travels and maybe this is a personal thing, is that in other countries and major cities, there are well dodgy areas, but if you steer clear of them you're generally fine, whereas in Dublin anyway, you could be attacked pretty much anywhere. Like I say maybe that's just me?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Wibbs wrote: »
    In general Ireland is a pretty safe country by EU standards and very safe by comparison to places like Mexico say. What I have found in my travels and maybe this is a personal thing, is that in other countries and major cities, there are well dodgy areas, but if you steer clear of them you're generally fine, whereas in Dublin anyway, you could be attacked pretty much anywhere. Like I say maybe that's just me?

Exactly how I feel about Dublin. Although Ireland is a relatively safe country, in most other big cities if you stay out of the dodgy areas you'll be fine but in Dublin there's always a chance some scumbag may try to mug you even on oconnell street...

Also Ireland doesn't have many big crimes such as killing, raping, large scale gang wars etc. Crimes that make big news and statistics.

But especially since the recession there are a lot of scumbags who won't hesitate a moment to show you a knife and try to mug you. This imo is more dangerous than the major criminals as the stabbists and rapists usually only attack people they have grudges or any differences against while these scumbags will attack anyone and the don't care about jail.

In Dublin late at night you do have to watch your back when walking down the street. You also have to keep you car doors locked when driving in the city centre as its beginning very common where scumbags will open your car doors to try to steal something while you're waiting at traffic lights...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Einhard wrote: »
    Not with Larry Murphy living on every street.
    I've a Larry Murphy living on my street....should I be scared.

+1. Nail on the head.

Had another example just last weekend, walking with my wife to the shops on Sunday afternoon about 4 pm, walking on the footpath beside a busy road, it was still bright etc. Met a group of about 5 or 6 teenagers, (the usual sort, with trackies tucked into socks, one hand down their pants keeping their crotch war, stupid wooly hats) probably between 16-18. Firstly they fanned out across the footpath and stood there and blocked our way. When we didn't move to go around them they started to limp around us, until one of them took a swing at me tying to be funny, stopping a couple of inches from my face, should be noted that this lad was a scrawny little runt that looked like a stiff breeze would knock over. This was then followed by a couple of faces in ours 'whatya gonna do?' 'get the f*** off our street' etc before they walked on.

This was on the side of a busy street, a stone's throw from one of Dublin's biggest garda stations and you are basically powerless to do anything about it. THAT is Dublin for me.... and that is the kind of behaviour I have never come across in any other country (including in some very dodgy areas).

prinz wrote: »
    +1. Nail on the head.

Had another example just last weekend, walking with my wife to the shops on Sunday afternoon about 4 pm, walking on the footpath beside a busy road, it was still bright etc. Met a group of about 5 or 6 teenagers, (the usual sort, with trackies tucked into socks, one hand down their pants keeping their crotch war, stupid wooly hats) probably between 16-18. Firstly they fanned out across the footpath and stood there and blocked our way. When we didn't move to go around them they started to limp around us, until one of them took a swing at me tying to be funny, stopping a couple of inches from my face, should be noted that this lad was a scrawny little runt that looked like a stiff breeze would knock over. This was then followed by a couple of faces in ours 'whatya gonna do?' 'get the f*** off our street' etc before they walked on.

This was on the side of a busy street, a stone's throw from one of Dublin's biggest garda stations and you are basically powerless to do anything about it. THAT is Dublin for me.... and that is the kind of behaviour I have never come across in any other country (including in some very dodgy areas).

If that was me I would have lashed out and got myself in a worse situation. Fair play to you for not reacting but if they put their face in mine they would definitely get a headbut. You just don't know what's going to happen when they engage you like this.

This kind of thing happened me a few times in Limerick.

If that was me I would have lashed out and got myself in a worse situation. Fair play to you for not reacting but if they put their face in mine they would definitely get a headbut. You just don't know what's going to happen when they engage you like this.

I would love to, but as you said, it would have worsened the situation all round. I learned that lesson via someone I knew of, that was in Limerick too.

Thing is now my wife now doesn't feel safe walking the 5 mins from our place to the shops alone, when she has no problem travelling around the Rhine-Ruhr area in Germany at all hours of the night, despite a much bigger population and much worse 'areas'. It happened Sunday so she might calm down a bit again but it has really spooked her.

prinz wrote: »
    I would love to, but as you said, it would have worsened the situation all round. I learned that lesson via someone I knew of, that was in Limerick too.

Thing is now my wife now doesn't feel safe walking the 5 mins from our place to the shops alone, when she has no problem travelling around the Rhine-Ruhr area in Germany at all hours of the night, despite a much bigger population and much worse 'areas'. It happened Sunday so she might calm down a bit again but it has really spooked her.

Understandable that she would be spooked. These scummers half the time are only at it for the laugh of scaring the shít out of some weedy lad or a young woman and not even for the money which just makes it sadistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

depends how much of the propoganda you expose yourself to ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

not yet wrote: »
    I've a Larry Murphy living on my street....should I be scared.

Only if he's a genuine Larry Murphy. Check for the stamp behind the right ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Teens dont feel safe because of the inner city grasshole teens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Short answer? Yes.

Odd question, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

me@ucd wrote: »
    depends how much of the propoganda you expose yourself to ;)

This.

The idea that you could attacked anywhere in Dublin is ridiculous to be honest. Of course it could happen (just as it could anywhere) but it does not mean it is very likely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I used to live in Dublin, and now in Cork, and I agree to some degree there.
    I'm from Germany originally, and you would have bad areas where you just didn't go.
    Here, you get bad areas just literally around the corner from nice areas, it's much more mixed up. That does make it more difficult avoiding dodgy places.

That said, the general levels of aggression in this country are much lower.
    Last year alone, there were several incidences of people being attacked and in two separate cases actually beaten to death on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

im living in brazil rite now, compared to this place ireland is like walking throught a meadow full of bunnies. a family living in a house down the road was brokein into the kids and wife tied up and petrol poured over them and told if the father didnt open the safe his family would be burned alive. thinks like this arent uncommon. my girlfriends uncle was shot and killed in a robbery 2 years ago and her grandmother house has been broken into 3 times since then. girlfriend was robbed twice in the street at like 10am once with a knif and second time with a gun seems to be a never ending supply of people of criminals here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    im living in brazil rite now, compared to this place ireland is like walking throught a meadow full of bunnies. a family living in a house down the road was brokein into the kids and wife tied up and petrol poured over them and told if the father didnt open the safe his family would be burned alive. thinks like this arent uncommon. my girlfriends uncle was shot and killed in a robbery 2 years ago and her grandmother house has been broken into 3 times since then. girlfriend was robbed twice in the street at like 10am once with a knif and second time with a gun seems to be a never ending supply of people of criminals here.

Yeah, but the cicas are hot! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

jpm4 wrote: »
    This.

The idea that you could attacked anywhere in Dublin is ridiculous to be honest. Of course it could happen (just as it could anywhere) but it does not mean it is very likely.

There isn't a street in Dublin where you wouldn't come across a bunch of scumbags who are upto no good...

Sure the chances of every scumbag you come across ending up mugging you isn't very high but there are many who harass you for the "craic" and few who will mug you given the opportunity.

And this gets worse at night. Dublin really doesn't feel very safe during night time. Too many drunk and dodgy looking people on the streets...

It is true the chances of you getting killed or even stabbed in Dublin are relatively low compared to other countries but there are still too many dodgy people walking around who have nothing better to do than harass people...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You also have to keep you car doors locked when driving in the city centre as its beginning very common where scumbags will open your car doors to try to steal something while you're waiting at traffic lights...

If this is a new thing to you... you haven't lived in Dublin long enough. My folks locked the car doors before putting on their seatbelts then starting the car when I was a kid.

Sure you can be attacked anywhere in Dublin, but as Wibbs said, he's noticed there are clear dodgey area's in other countries.

But those would be in Cities 5 - 7 times the size of Dublin City, and the dodgey area would be the same size as the city here. In that regards you've really got to consider perspective. Since it's such a small area here, it's really easy to mug someone up by Dame St then run off and mug someone on Grafton Street run off to Westmoreland Street all before a garda got to Dame Street to take care of the first mugging...

Not that I'm making any suggestions or implying an issue with Gardaí...

Overall, yes I feel safe.

This is coming from a guy who on 2 seperate occassions a gang of 3 people attempted to mug and has been assaulted while walking to get a bus.

Under both circumstances I never once felt my life was threatened or in severe risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

There isn't a street in Dublin where you wouldn't come across a bunch of scumbags who are upto no good...

Sure the chances of every scumbag you come across ending up mugging you isn't very high but there are many who harass you for the "craic" and few who will mug you given the opportunity.

And this gets worse at night. Dublin really doesn't feel very safe during night time. Too many drunk and dodgy looking people on the streets...

It is true the chances of you getting killed or even stabbed in Dublin are relatively low compared to other countries but there are still too many dodgy people walking around who have nothing better to do than harass people...

OK you mainly seem to be talking about the perception of danger there though which is a bit different and pretty subjective. I may walk past the same gang of knick knacks without being too bothered about it at all.

It's funny though when this kind of question is posed and people automatically zero in on things like crime, when in reality you are probably more likely to be injured or killed in a car accident. People in general aren't great at perceiving the risks that really matter, and I think the media must take a lot of the blame for that.

Advertisement