Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Road Conditions-16th- Onwards.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

peasant wrote: »
    currently Sligo presents this picture:

(from AA roadwatch)

As the snow showers (and particularly the freeze) seems to be continuing through the night, probably not much will change in that picture by the morning

Guess who needs to take the N16 tomorrow? :D

Cancel if you can - it just took me 2 hours and 10 minutes to get the 16 miles from Sligo to Manorhamilton. Horrific conditions out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Darwin wrote: »
    Not sure about the N11, but you should be fine on the other roads - maybe check the AA road watch website before leaving. I don't think the main snow event for Leinster is to arrive until tomorrow evening.

Thanks Darwin - I'll play it by ear in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Main roads are not gritted in Donegal and Sligo road i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Have a trip planned to Galway tonight for the weekend leaving from Dublin this evening. I think its not going to be such a good idea. What you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Theres outrage up here that none of the roads are gritted and then all the roads in Limirick ,Dublin are being gritted etc. There has been a lot of crashes on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Pangea wrote: »
    Main roads are not gritted in Donegal and Sligo road i heard.

I came in on the N4 this morning to Sligo and it was dangerous. I think what happened is that further snow fell and froze over after the roads were treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Planning to travel to Dublin from Athone on the N6 today

what is conditions like on the motorway from Athlone to Dublin?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Will the M6 from Galway to Dublin be gritted/salted?

Heading from Galway to Dublin Airport tomorrow morning. Need to check in t 10.30a.m.

How long should I allow? Will the M50 be bad when we get up there I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

17/12/2010 13:01 - Louth Local Authorities urge caution on county’s roads during latest cold spell

With snow and freezing temperatures forecast for the next several days, Louth Local Authorities have urged road users in the county to exercise extreme caution and to avoid any journeys that aren’t strictly necessary.

As salt supplies nationally are set to remain rationed until the later part of next week, Council outdoor crews will be salting the 90 kilometres of national primary and secondary roads in Louth. With these busiest routes being given priority given their higher volumes of traffic, it will not be possible to salt less heavily used roads.

In an effort to facilitate pre-Christmas shopping in the county’s main commercial areas such as Ardee, Blackrock, Carlingford, Drogheda, Dundalk and Dunleer, footpaths in the retail cores of these locations will be treated as resources permit.

Gerry Kelly, Senior Engineer, Louth Local Authorities said: “In line with the national approach being taken to rationing scarce supplies of salt pending further import shipments late next week, we have to give precedence to the national roads in the county so that these remain open to traffic insofar as possible.

“Given this, road users need to be aware that some routes which will have been treated during previous cold weather will not be on this occasion. The message for all road users is to avoid all but essential travel and to take great care at all times. Even the shortest local journey can become dangerous very quickly if roads are treacherous.

Updates for Louth: http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/

Map of Winter Maintenance routes: http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Winter_Gritting/First_Priority_Winter_Maintenance_Route.pdf

Roads Update from Monaghan County Council – Thursday 16th December, 2010

Monaghan County Council will treat Priority 1 Roads i.e. National Roads as normal tonight.
    Heavy snow is predicted for overnight.
    Due to the national restrictions on salt, snow ploughs and grit will be used on Priority 2 roads if required.
    Grit is not as effective as salt, however, in snow it will give some benefit to road users.
    Monaghan County Council advises road users to exercise extreme care for the duration of the cold spell.

Updates for Monaghan: http://www.monaghan.ie/websitev2/default.asp

Map of Winter Maintenance routes: http://www.monaghan.ie/websitev2/download/pdf/roads/2010/Priority123SaltingRoutes2010.pdf

snow fall is heavy at present in Athlone town, visibilty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 snowpatrol123

I heard that the roads in Mayo weren't gritted today and they were lethal. Apparently the council are out of grit already. Don't know how the weekend will fair out if that is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

Planning to travel to Dublin from Athone on the N6 today

what is conditions like on the motorway from Athlone to Dublin?

thanks
    I drove down to Athlone early this morning and then onto Roscommon and back. The N6 was ok, driveable. The motorway further up is perfect, no problems at all.

What i will say is that if it has snowed in Athlone since i have been there, be careful!

Moggie

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

The Sally Gap in Wicklow is currently blocked by a large van. Located south of the turn off for kippure. Conditions are reported to be very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

snow fall is heavy at present in Athlone town, visibilty poor.

Is it sticking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Need to get from Letterkenny to Dublin before 15:00 hours tomorrow. Am I mad?

When am i most likely to get the best weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

My inlaws are getting the ferry on Tuesday and driving up to Athlone from Rosslare, so Enniscorthy, Carlow, Portlaoise, Tullamore. FIL is disabled.

Would be interested as time goes by on the conditions of those places. Or should they just forget it?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Take the motorway via Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Hey all.

I'm on a ferry at the moment heading from Stranraer to Belfast. Need to try and get to Mayo tonight. Is there any hope for me at all?!!

I'm thinking it would be insane to go via Enniskillen/Sligo as I normally would, but if I gould get out of Belfast would I have a chance going the M1 to Dublin and the M6 to Galway.

If I could even get to Galway I'd be sorted for tonight, but I need to get to Mayo by tomorrow at the latest.

Any ideas? Will I even get to Galway? :(

kraggy wrote: »
    Is it sticking?

yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Hey all.

I'm on a ferry at the moment heading from Stranraer to Belfast. Need to try and get to Mayo tonight. Is there any hope for me at all?!!

I'm thinking it would be insane to go via Enniskillen/Sligo as I normally would, but if I gould get out of Belfast would I have a chance going the M1 to Dublin and the M6 to Galway.

If I could even get to Galway I'd be sorted for tonight, but I need to get to Mayo by tomorrow at the latest.

i think you might make galway, hateful journey though! I left athlone heading west at 4pm there, motorway in great shape, both lanes usable. may have got a bit worse now, but id say still manageable. but this morning it was one lane going to athlone, and that at about 40mph tops.
    i think roscommon co co were a bit slow of the mark treating their stretch of the m6 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm thinking it would be insane to go via Enniskillen/Sligo as I normally would,

Having driven only the Sligo/Manorhamilton bit twice today, I would agree.

We've had so many showers up here that there still is fairly thick snow (and by now most likely a lot of ice) on the road and I can only imagine how bad that stretch towards Eniskillen would be. (that's dreadful even when dry)

Having said that ...there ought to be very little traffic and I had no major problems with my 4WD with winter tyres ...whereas (slow, slow, slow) traffic could be a nuisance on the main arteries.

It really depends on what you're currently driving, how good your tyres are and how awake you will be once you get off that ferry.

Another alternative worth thinking about is to stay the night in Belfast (or thereabouts) and tackle the trip in daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Am planning on going from Galway to Dublin tomorrow via GoBus. Will it be okay? I'll be getting the 12.15am bus back on saturday night/sunday morning but if it gets really bad, will that route be cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to have a stab at it via Dublin and Galway. The way things sound right now it might be daylight by the time I get to Galway anyway and that would certainly be a better time to tackle the N84.

Really don't fancy that Manorhamilton/Blacklion road at all, am going to give it a wide berth. Marsbar if I get to somewhere in the west with internet access I'll post an update om the M6.

Wish me luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wish me luck! :)

Good luck and drive carefully !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Hey all.

in galway, you will be fine on the moyorway,

its only 2 hrs from the m50 to galway, dont dare chance the slugo route

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Take the motorway via Dublin.

I will suggest it to them, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Longford and Mayo have certainly restricted gritting to main routes.

Many councils have to eke their meagre supplies out even longer because the new stocks of salt ,supposedly on the way for weds are being delayed until christmas day by "storms in the eastern meditteranean sea" according to the 9oc news.

Then they have to get it where it is wanted from Cork once it lands there and that means more or less everywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Barna road outside Newcastlewest Co Limerick is tracherous - its so slippy and most of the N21 is pretty bad. There was a Limo in front of me for most of the trip and at one stage the Limo was sideways...good driver regained control of it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good idea, for Donegal:

Revised Winter Gritting Routes Dec. '10

It's a pdf file so download and open.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement