Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Road Conditions-16th- Onwards.

Options
  • 14-12-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

For those with questions on road conditions, or simply reporting conditions please post them here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I'll be on the road thursday between 3pm and 11pm in Galway, that should be interesting if the timings of the 'Greenland Express' are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This might help too.

http://twitter.com/AAROADWATCH

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I have to travel to the RDS Thursday, Friday, Saturday and then again Monday for exams . . . do people reckon the roads will be bad around Dublin - or should I be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Thursday - Saturday shouldnt be too bad for Dublin, you might get a bit of disruption but nothing major. Too early to know yet for Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Dont be assuming road conditions will be fine up until Thursday. I left work just after 7pm this evening in Meath, got to the end of the road, tryed to turn left and the car just went straight on - the road was completely covered in a coating of black ice, it was the last thing I was expecting - especially since there was no ice on the car and it had been dry all day. Be vigilant, take it very easy and expect ice from now onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I have to travel to the RDS Thursday, Friday, Saturday and then again Monday for exams . . . do people reckon the roads will be bad around Dublin - or should I be ok?

UCD ye... wouldnt like to be in those halls early on in the day... BRRRRR!

But ye, should be ok , the main roads anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Supposed to be heading to Rosslare from Dublin on Sunday for the Ferry. I assume the worst place I can expect trouble would be Enniscorthy. Can anyone from around that side of the world give me an idea where I can expect problems. We'll be heading off early in the morning for a 6pm sailing to give us plenty of time. Have no problem waiting around once we get there safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Should the latest forecast stop me from making plans such as attending a meeting in Dublin, planning to leave Letterkenny area at 7AM by car Thursday morning? Would this be seen as taking the chance of getting stuck somewhere between Dublin and who know's where on the way home if leaving Dublin around 3PM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Keep an eye on MT's forecast as to when to expect the rain to turn to snow but going by the current forecast you should get to Dublin before it gets bad I think.

Getting home is another story and you could have some serious trouble getting back to the town, obviously avoid Barnsmore but even if you come up through the North you're risking getting stuck somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Dublin will get not a lot of snow this time its all for us in the west ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

gandalf wrote: »
    Supposed to be heading to Rosslare from Dublin on Sunday for the Ferry. I assume the worst place I can expect trouble would be Enniscorthy. Can anyone from around that side of the world give me an idea where I can expect problems. We'll be heading off early in the morning for a 6pm sailing to give us plenty of time. Have no problem waiting around once we get there safely.

If we get snow,leave plenty of time.At the moment the main roads are fine,the back roads are a whole different story.Heard the council are short of salt so they'll be prioritising where they use it.The overtaking lane on Gorey bypass still had snow and ice on it Saturday so be prepared for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Dublin will get not a lot of snow this time its all for us in the west ha

Be careful what you wish for.We had plenty of it in wicklow and i'm still snowed in with the car and we are only a mile for a big town.So the west is VERY welcome to all the snow during this period

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The south east may well get no snow over the next few days but the weather will be so cold that the thaw will stop dead in that area leaving them with what they already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

We are supposed to travel from Bray area to Rathwood in Tullow on Friday afternoon to see Santa.

What do you reckon driving conditions will be like?

Last year we went the back roads - Via Aughrim, Shillelagh. This year we plan to take the motorway. If we are brave enough to set out at all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have to pick my bro up from the airport at 7pm on saturday.

crystal balls to hand - will he be delayed -coming from somewhere in london :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

irishbird wrote: »
    i have to pick my bro up from the airport at 7pm on saturday.

crystal balls to hand - will he be delayed -coming from somewhere in london :)

Its looking highly likely , specially coming from london.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Heard on the radio this morning that the IFA were offering the services of agricultural contractors to the county councils for gritting local roads if needed.

If foresee a few problems with this : a) the county councils have no money to pay for this service, b) the county councils are running short on salt for primary routes never mind local roads and c) natural reluctance for forward planning in this country.

My wife's snow socks have worked well so far, looks like we'll need them soon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Interesting to see how this all pans out with the big christmas travel period. have to drive from dun laoghaire to clare on xmas eve....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 snowpatrol123

Il be travelling from Limerick to Mayo after 6PM on Saturday evening. Will the main roads be safe enough to travel on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

annieee wrote: »
    We are supposed to travel from Bray area to Rathwood in Tullow on Friday afternoon to see Santa.

Last year we went the back roads - Via Aughrim, Shillelagh. This year we plan to take the motorway. If we are brave enough to set out at all.

If it was anything like the last few weeks Tullow will be a nightmare..

Most of the roads were a disaster..

Keep an eye on websites but if we get what is forecast it would not be a journey I would like to do.

Main roads will probably be fine if gritted properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Heard on the radio this morning that the IFA were offering the services of agricultural contractors to the county councils for gritting local roads if needed.

If foresee a few problems with this : a) the county councils have no money to pay for this service, ..........................

:) I'm sure that you are right - but....

Couldnt help reflecting on how over 100 years ago my Great, Great uncle ( a - very - small farmer ) won a tender contract to see that the roads in the area of Derrylane ( Cavan side of Cavan - Leitrim border ) were maintained clear.

To borrow half a phrase - Where is the progress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Some useful links of traffic cameras around Ireland:

Dublin City Council

South Dublin County Council

National Roads Authority (includes some from Dublin)

Cork City Council (Jack Lynch Tunnel)

TrafficwatchNI

Be safe on the roads, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Me , Wife and my 3 kids meant to be visiting Santa in Rathwood on Monday evening (travelling from Knocklyon) - GULP!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

I was in aughrim and tullow today all them back roads are grand, theres a bit of lying snow in the fields alright still but the roads are grand and clear. no nightmare on the cards for you providing it doesnt snow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I was up in Rathwood last year,great fun for kids,the temps stayed above freezing last night and the thaw continued,raining today so you should have no worries tommorow but just take care on the roads anyway,take the N81-it's clear from snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sulmac wrote: »
    Cork City Council (Jack Lynch Tunnel) Be safe on the roads, everyone!

Thank you very much, can't believe I live in Cork and never found these webcams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Hi all,

Am planning to this round trip tomorrow. Was going to try and leave Bray v. early and then leave to come back around 3pm. Travelling N11/M50/M7/N7 .
    Car fine on gritted roads but wouldn't be great in snow and ice. Not sure if things will be too bad either end but would appreciate some advice on whether to travel or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Not sure about the N11, but you should be fine on the other roads - maybe check the AA road watch website before leaving. I don't think the main snow event for Leinster is to arrive until tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

husband travelling from dublin to kilkenny leaving dub at 6 on sat will he be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

currently Sligo presents this picture:

(from AA roadwatch)
    N17/SLIGO* Extreme care is needed throughout Co. Sligo. The N16 Sligo/Manorhamilton Rd is impassable, especially at Glencar, while the Sligo-Ballintogher Rd (R287) is also impassable. * Also avoid the N17 Sligo/Tubbercurry Rd on the Sligo side of Tubbercurry at Achonry and at Tubber due to the icy conditions.

As the snow showers (and particularly the freeze) seems to be continuing through the night, probably not much will change in that picture by the morning

Guess who needs to take the N16 tomorrow? :D

Advertisement