Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchie/Townie Relationships

Options
  • 14-12-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi Ladies,

Just a quick one, as per title, do they work?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Oh yeah, opposites attract and all that, but it really depends how broad minded both people are. If the townie is really sensitive about animals and the culchie is a beef farmer, then that can put a strain on things.

Have fun, hope he has clean finger nails.:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

not really much reason why they shouldn't work, is there? people from different countries, or completely different backgrounds have relationships that work, why would it matter if one is from a city and one from the country? bit silly to think it wouldn't work if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

blue5000 wrote: »

Have fun, hope he has clean finger nails.:)

Hope she doesn't have a heroin syringe hanging out of her arm.

Stereotypes work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Ha, Im the culchie in the equation, hes the townie! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ascuteasabutton

I am currently in one and its working great except for one small detail....Culchies are very protective of their land and the family make no secret of this which annoys me because i'm not after the land by any means,I have a very good job and will provide for myself..I don't need their land :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm a country lad going out/living with a townie girl for up again 7 years.
    She moved to the countryside with me, and loves the peace and quiet.

My wife's a townie, been married for 12 yrs, we've had our moments;

I got the wedding and engagement rings fired at me one evening while I was milking cows. Was v tempted to powerhose em on a bit further, but luckily I had the cop on to pick em up.

As I said above, depends how broadminded you both are, sorry about the fingernail comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Tbh I thought the op was a troll. What kinda question is that?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lia_lia wrote: »

Yeah so did I :confused:

Not a Troll, just didn't want to go into too much detail. Im from the country and now living with a townie in a town, away from home. Its hard to get used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Lia_lia wrote: »

A weird one :p. It's not like you can split everyone into two categories. It's not something I ever think about when I meet people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Check out the personals in Irelands Own's magazine if you want to catch an eligible culchie :)

Ya I know its a bit weird, was kind of just thinking out loud so to speak. We have very different backgrounds and interests so it does take some work but the good bits outweigh the bad for the most part.

@ Feelingstressed - Thanks but I wont give up on the townie just yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm from the country, my boyfriend is from Dublin and I actually never even thought about this, ever. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Culchies are very protective of their land and the family make no secret of this which annoys me because i'm not after the land by any means,I have a very good job and will provide for myself..I don't need their land :D

Some people from the country are, not everybody. Not everybody in the country acts out The Field every day of the week. It is not as if we are talking about the Irish countryside in 1810. Heck we even have inside bathrooms now :D

Not really sure why there is really an issue for the OP. I mean you are not even from a different country. There is too much made of the so-called divide between the two types. I am from the country but lived happily in Dublin for a few years. You get idiots everywhere and you meet nice people everywhere. Same way you meet people you are attracted to and compatible with in most places.

Thats why I posted it Novella, thought it might be something new to think about. Guess it depends a lot on how stereotypically 'Townie' or 'Culchie' the parties are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I am currently in one and its working great except for one small detail....Culchies are very protective of their land and the family make no secret of this which annoys me because i'm not after the land by any means,I have a very good job and will provide for myself..I don't need their land :D

The thing is though, if a marriage breaks down then land that was in the family for generations could be awarded by the court to the person who moved there or at least there could be legal battles.

Can get very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Thats why I posted it Novella, thought it might be something new to think about. Guess it depends a lot on how stereotypically 'Townie' or 'Culchie' the parties are.

Well, thinking about it, everything's been fine and there have never been any issues relating to where we're from... But then again, I don't really buy into the whole stereotype thing.

I lived in a small town after we got married for about 2 years, hated it, felt like I was in a goldfish bowl, then when we moved out to the countryside herself was really scared if she was left alone at night. Anyone else find this hard to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Not a Troll, just didn't want to go into too much detail. Im from the country and now living with a townie in a town, away from home. Its hard to get used to.

yes definitely! i'm opposite to you - i am a city girl and i married a farmer's son. living in the country now... the space and quiet is nice but i soooooooo miss having everything easily accessible to me! i used to not need a car and now i can't live without one! it is a struggle....but that's just for living arrangements - doesn't effect our relationship too much. except when i have a little moan about being far away from everything :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Novella wrote: »
    I'm from the country, my boyfriend is from Dublin and I actually never even thought about this, ever. :confused:

If you're from Dublin isnt anything outside of Tallaght "the country" :pac:

Course it can work op, long as your interests arent massively different (that does matter), not everyone from a big town is some pretentious city dweller, and not everyone from the country smells of cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

:) Gas thread.

I'm a hybrid culchie-townie myself, born in Dublin city, raised in a very rural area down south, now living in a city again. Labelled a culchie by the family and a Jackeen by the locals. The OH is very much a townie, and finds me to be far to accustomed to smells like slurry and silage. He can't abide them.

We jeer eachother but it works well. I can open his eyes to the beauties of the countryside, he has shown me how to appreciate urban areas. I have an earthy edge that he appreciates, as he always found his local town girls to be a bit ditzy and precious. I always found the farmer's son a little too earthy for me though. I love my OH's urban future-loving attitute, and the techie within appreciates his outlook.

I still watch Hugh Fearnely-Wittingstall and wish I could have a little land to brew my own elderberry beer!:D But at least I know that's an idolisation, and the reality is far from that rustic charm twaddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Short term it obviously isn't a problem but it might be an issue eventually. Personally I grew up in the countryside through I've lived in the city for the last 10 years, but if I ever had kids I know I wouldn't want them to grow up in a city. Mainly because it isn't how I grew up so I don't know how I'd raise them right and also because of my deep seated hatred towards townie teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Sounds like the premise for a bad RTE sitcom... C'mon, Ireland's too small to have any major disparity between people from different areas

Namlub wrote: »
    C'mon, Ireland's too small to have any major disparity between people from different areas

Lol if only that were true!

Maybe it's the human condition, but you only have to travel 5 miles from any given country town, and ask the locals what sets them aside from the town. They'll give you a list as long as your arm.

Remember Ireland only 400 years ago was an island of warring Clans, it's in our nature to box people into groups and set ourselves aside. It's why GAA is so popular :D

Eviledna wrote: »
    Lol if only that were true!

Maybe it's the human condition, but you only have to travel 5 miles from any given country town, and ask the locals what sets them aside from the town. They'll give you a list as long as your arm.

Remember Ireland only 400 years ago was an island of warring Clans, it's in our nature to box people into groups and set ourselves aside. It's why GAA is so popular :D

I know I know, and people from Dublin and Cork and bigger cities like to think we're terribly cosmopolitan compared to the country folk but I maintain we're not that different. *breaks into song*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I know I know, and people from Dublin and Cork and bigger cities like to think we're terribly cosmopolitan compared to the country folk but I maintain we're not that different. *breaks into song*

No, people from Cork are nothing like Dublin people!

I maintain...everybody poops :D

hardCopy wrote: »

In what way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

hardCopy wrote: »

Thank God!

Townie! I haven't heard that word in a while, aww :) I'm a culchie going out with a townie, it makes no difference to us. I did question what was I doing with him when he vomited from the smell of slurry (seriously! The Wendy!) the first time I brought him home though! He's mad to move to the country now though so things can change. OP I think you're finding the adjustment from living in the country to a city hard, not the actual culchie dating a townie thing. Hang in there, you'll get used to it, you might even get to like it after a while. If not just drag him back to the bog kicking and screaming.

Advertisement