Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Who Die in Fires While Awake

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

foxinsox wrote: »
    If any of you have ever seen a house fire or had anyone close to you experience a fire, I guarantee you, you would not be joking and trying to come up with witty funny replies on here.

Ah Buzz Killington, we meet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

bonerm wrote: »
    That was the choice a lot of the 9/11 jumpers made. Tho of course there was officially no suicides that day.
    I wouldn't call that a suicide, so I'm with the officials on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

xoxyx wrote: »
    You're missing something. How about you wake up with fire around you in a house you share with your family. Your kids could be next door; your partner downstairs. If I had anything in me I wouldn't leave alone if I could try and bring out one of my family.

Fair point, well made.

Bang on the wall and alert them to the presence of windows.

In all seriousness though I get you. I wouldn't jump out if my little sister or parents or brothers were trapped. I've heard of a dad who rapidly managed to punch his way through a dry wall to get his daughter out safely...

The point of this thread was that I have heard of people who just kinda sit there allowing the fire to climb the stairs... why? Surely possible broken legs or healable injury is better than the possibility of roasting like a sausage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

To be fair, although they were obviously jumping on purpose they were doomed whatever they did and were simply choosing the less painful way to die, which is completley different to a depressed person deciding their life is not worth living and commiting suicide.

To this day ,even after seeing the 9/11 released jumpers video that was used by the 911 commission ,I cannot understand how anyone could come to a decision to jump.It must have been the hardest decision to make ,do I stay here and die from the smoke and fire or do I jump and hit the ground at over 100kph ,poor souls may they rest in peace:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Okay.... I'm 6 foor 1 and I just managed to get myself into a position whereby I could leap from my window. It's the type where it has to opening sides with a stationary part in the middle. Very common.

If there was a fire I'm pretty sure people could make themselves fit out just about any window.

Also, if there is a need to break it, I don't think it would take too long.

Most rooms have chairs, TVs, blah blah...

I have those same windows and would be fairly sure it would be next or near impossible to exit through those types of windows in a panic laden situation like a house fire. I'm taller than 6 foot one for a start and weigh over twenty stone so that for me wouldnlt be a realistic prospect.

It's difficult to know how you would react but survival instincts are bound to take over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

omahaid wrote: »
    Ah Buzz Killington, we meet again.

eh..

eh.. no..

can't say I know who you are! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Fair point, well made.

Bang on the wall and alert them to the presence of windows.

In all seriousness though I get you. I wouldn't jump out if my little sister or parents or brothers were trapped. I've heard of a dad who rapidly managed to punch his way through a dry wall to get his daughter out safely...

The point of this thread was that I have heard of people who just kinda sit there allowing the fire to climb the stairs... why? Surely possible broken legs or healable injury is better than the possibility of roasting like a sausage...

your internal organs would fail through smoke inhalation before the grilling process begins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I was in a house fire and was very lucky to escape, when i woke up in the smoke, i had no idea what was happening, i remember thinking was i on a boat, then almost immediately the door was kicked in and i got out..its real confusion, i really had no idea what was happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

People's reactions are funny things. I've done no more than a training course for work and we got shown a video where a kid set fire to a load of merchandise in a shop and yet people still came in the door of the shop despite the obvious fire in the corner.

Some people get frozen by shock, some people think that if they hide for long enough, they'll get help. I don't think most of us appreciate the true power of fire.

Again, in a video I watched for fire warden training, we were shown a "flash fire" situation. The air in a room got hot enough to catch fire. So, there is fire on one side of a room - the other side is fire free and there is nothing flammable around. Until, the heat increases to a point where the very air goes up in flames. In seconds you have a fireball of a room.

I don't think the danger of this all is appreciated by most of us at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

I was in such a fire........ Beleive me being logical doesnt come into it. its utter hell, black smoke cannot see, totally disorientated.

But most of all scared to death.

Its not a joke Got my kid 4, and wife, out the back, I went back in through the black smoke looking for the dog, the black smoke took all my voice away in seconds, I heard my wife saying the dog was out the back with her, I only found my way out by feeling a pushbike in the dark, I knew if the bike was on my left the backyard was straight ahead only 5 metres.

Got out , house wrecked , in hospital for a few days for smoke inhalation. I was only in that smoke for about 30 secs.

Sorry for grammer, mistakes etc. First time I talked about it.

TWO THINGS MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS OFF BEFORE YOU GO TO BED. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY MAKE SURE YOUR COOKER IS TURNED OFF AT THE WALL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Maserati23 wrote: »
    I was in such a fire........ Beleive me being logical doesnt come into it. its utter hell, black smoke cannot see, totally disorientated.

But most of all scared to death.

Its not a joke Got my kid 4, and wife, out the back, I went back in through the black smoke looking for the dog, the black smoke took all my voice away in seconds, I heard my wife saying the dog was out the back with her, I only found my way out by feeling a pushbike in the dark, I knew if the bike was on my left the backyard was straight ahead only 5 metres.

Got out , house wrecked , in hospital for a few days for smoke inhalation. I was only in that smoke for about 30 secs.

Sorry for grammer, mistakes etc. First time I talked about it.

TWO THINGS MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS OFF BEFORE YOU GO TO BED. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY MAKE SURE YOUR COOKER IS TURNED OFF AT THE WALL.

fair fu(ks to you - sounds like a horrible expierience

Just a question - why turn the cooker off at the wall???

Only once have I seen a house fire up close and in person. It was absolutley terrifying. The heat off it is something I will never forget, even standing 50 to 100 yards away you had to shield your face from the heat, the windows in neighbouring buildings were melting. It was indeed nothing like the films, where some strategically placed pieces of furniture burn in isolation as the hero dashes between them to save the day.

Each room was one big blast furnace, the air within it a brightly glowing plasma through which one could just about make out the opposite side of the room as it shimmered and twisted like some hellish mirage.

Smoke alarms people!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

My 4 year old made me a cup of tea at 3.45 am with a frying pan she filled with water.

First I knew of it she was at my head while I was asleep saying, Daddy do you smell something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the cooker was turned off at the wall she could have never have figured it out.

Actually I reccomend everybody to turn off the cooker at the wall.
    Did none of you leave it on by mistake at anytime?

This is an attempt of uploading a foto of Sarah my 4 year old now 5 nearly six. Cannot blame her for making a cuppa for me at 3.45 am. She just used to wake up at night. Now she is as always has been Diligent in respect of electricity , Fires, Switches etc. I just should of told her before it all happened do not "TOUCH" any of the above, without Daddy there, even if its a nice cup of tea.

We are lucky, Very lucky

orourkeda wrote: »
    I have those same windows and would be fairly sure it would be next or near impossible to exit through those types of windows in a panic laden situation like a house fire. I'm taller than 6 foot one for a start and weigh over twenty stone so that for me wouldnlt be a realistic prospect.

It's difficult to know how you would react but survival instincts are bound to take over.

I'm sure a mere window would be no match for you then...

Think about it. The room is filling with smoke and you cant leave. A window would be your best bet and even if it was difficult I think most people would make it work.

For the people replying who have been in fires I apolagise for the insensitivity of this thread... 'tis AH nd all... but seriously I'd hate to ever wake up in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

muletide wrote: »

Just a question - why turn the cooker off at the wall???

Because the cooker has the highest voltage/amps cable in a house, so if theres a fire in the kitchen, the cooker supply is the last thing you want on........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Only once have I seen a house fire up close and in person. It was absolutley terrifying. The heat off it is something I will never forget, even standing 50 to 100 yards away you had to shield your face from the heat, the windows in neighbouring buildings were melting. It was indeed nothing like the films, where some strategically placed pieces of furniture burn in isolation as the hero dashes between them to save the day.

Each room was one big blast furnace, the air within it a brightly glowing plasma through which one could just about make out the opposite side of the room as it shimmered and twisted like some hellish mirage.

Smoke alarms people!

are you a writer?this is like an extract from a novel,well written my friend

I kinda hope this thread makes people press the little red button on their smoke alarm to make sure it's working...

Maserati23 wrote: »
    My 4 year old made me a cup of tea at 3.45 am with a frying pan she filled with water.

First I knew of it she was at my head while I was asleep saying, Daddy do you smell something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the cooker was turned off at the wall she could have never have figured it out.

Actually I reccomend everybody to turn off the cooker at the wall.
    Did none of you leave it on by mistake at anytime?

My uncle's house went up in flames last year and it was caused by the fridge ,it started billowing smoke at 2am.Lucky my Aunt was still up and she got him out of bed ,she reckons 30 seconds was all it took for the place to be filled with smoke.Turns out the insurance company said to my uncle that "the particular fridge involved" was the cause of a number of house fires in Ireland and that the company didn't recall them as there was more money to be made selling them than recalling them and paying out insurance claims ,in the mean time the have fixed the model in question ,but there are loads still out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I saw a house on fire last night, near where I live..

It took about an hour (even though the fire brigade got there within 15mins) for the house to be gutted, the roof is gone completley. Slates were popping off the roof.

Three other houses are also destroyed, the fire spread across the attics.

Everybody got out and thankfully nobody was hurt.

It is shocking to see how fast the fire spreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

My uncle's house went up in flames last year and it was caused by the fridge ,it started billowing smoke at 2am.Lucky my Aunt was still up and she got him out of bed ,she reckons 30 seconds was all it took for the place to be filled with smoke.Turns out the insurance company said to my uncle that "the particular fridge involved" was the cause of a number of house fires in Ireland and that the company didn't recall them as there was more money to be made selling them than recalling them and paying out insurance claims ,in the mean time the have fixed the model in question ,but there are loads still out there

What brand of fridge was it?

• Advertisement

What brand of fridge was it?

I'll Pm you ,I don't think you can name and shame a company on a public forum:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Because your house is on fire...

What I'm saying is, a lot of the time people wake up with other sections of their house on fire and normal exits unreachable.

If fire has reached your room then you might as well jump back into bed and die cosey...

But if it hasn't... window.

Surely a boardsie has had a house fire before??

No, not me, but an uncle, his two children died in that fire, one got scared and hid in the bathroom, he was found dead underneath the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'll Pm you ,I don't think you can name and shame a company on a public forum:)

Fcuk it, you should name and shame them considering they got such disregard for the value of human life - scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If it's the fridge I think it is I'll be disgusted... my mum got a notice about her fridge being a fire hazard, can you PM me too?

Advertisement