Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Who Die in Fires While Awake

Options
  • 12-12-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

I was thinking when I saw the Northern Irish 'Escape Plan' advert for fire safety... how do people die when they wake up and their house is on fire?

If you inhale smoke and don't wake up fine...

But imagine the scenario. You wake up. You smell something awful... Someone's having a guinness crap... no...wait. FIRE!!

You run to your bed room door, it's hot. Crap. So you sit there and die??

WINDOW!!!!

I think I'd gladly jump out of a second or even third story window as opposed to burning to death. :rolleyes:

- Dean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I was thinking when I saw the Northern Irish 'Escape Plan' advert for fire safety... how do people die when they wake up and their house is on fire?

But imagine the scenario. You wake up. Someone's having a guinness crap... no...wait. FIRE!!

WINDOW!!!!

I think I'd gladly jump out of a second or even third story window as opposed to burning to death. :rolleyes:

- Dean.

It would be rare to burn to death, smoke inhalation also kills you if you are awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

- Dean.

That was the choice a lot of the 9/11 jumpers made. Tho of course there was officially no suicides that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

panic,disorientation,fear

hard to imagine until your there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

But imagine the scenario. You wake up. You smell something awful... Someone's having a guinness crap... no...wait. FIRE!!

WINDOW!!!!

- Dean.

Do you think being awake makes the smoke go away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

WINDOW!!!!

And as soon as you open that WINDOW!!!! you're allowing in oxygen, enjoy your backdraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

If they're anything like me in the mornings:

Oh my god! Fire!

Well... it's all the way over the other side of the room. I could probably get 5 more minutes sleep. ZZZzzzzzzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

orourkeda wrote: »
    Do you think being awake makes the smoke go away

No, but leaping from a window into beautiful fresh air does...

bonerm wrote: »
    That was the choice a lot of the 9/11 jumpers made. Tho of course there was officially no suicides that day.

To be fair, although they were obviously jumping on purpose they were doomed whatever they did and were simply choosing the less painful way to die, which is completley different to a depressed person deciding their life is not worth living and commiting suicide.

TheZohan wrote: »
    And as soon as you open that WINDOW!!!! you're allowing in oxygen, enjoy your backdraft.

I think it's safe to assume that if your room is already an inferno then you're fúcked anyways...

No, but leaping from a window into beautiful fresh air does...

Running through smoke and flames to get there. Then jumping out a window. Sounds like quite the plan.

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »

I believe the suicide bombers committed... uh... suicide. :P

Ohhh! BURN!!

I'm aware that last remark makes me appear to be a know it all twat... I just wanted to be the first person to use that pun in this thread. Sorry.

Running through smoke and flames to get there. Then jumping out a window. Sounds like quite the plan.

How big is your bedroom? The majority of people who don't live in Uber Mansions such as yourself would be able to step to their window, open it, and leap onto a car in the drive or whatever...

Running through flames?? Nooo... if fire has engulfed your room you're dead anyways...

TBH I think a lot of you guys would be toast in a fire :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bungalows ftw

How big is your bedroom? The majority of people who don't live in Uber Mansions such as yourself would be able to step to their window, open it, and leap onto a car in the drive or whatever...

Running through flames?? Nooo... if fire has engulfed your room you're dead anyways...

TBH I think a lot of you guys would be toast in a fire :eek:

Well observed.

If this hasnt happened why would you need to jump from a window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Igloos ftw

Bungalows ftw

You dont want to get caught in a fire in one of those either

Well observed.

If this hasnt happened why would you need to jump from a window.

Because your house is on fire...

What I'm saying is, a lot of the time people wake up with other sections of their house on fire and normal exits unreachable.

If fire has reached your room then you might as well jump back into bed and die cosey...

But if it hasn't... window.

Surely a boardsie has had a house fire before??

You dont want to get caught in a fire in one of those either

I really think you're missing the who point of the window idea...

I really think you're missing the who point of the window idea...

And why would you jump through the window of a bungalow exactly considering the doors are on the same level and are quicker and easier to escape through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

And why would you jump through the window of a bungalow exactly considering the doors are on the same level and are quicker and easier to escape through.

Coz it looks cool.

• Advertisement

Because your house is on fire...

What I'm saying is, a lot of the time people wake up with other sections of their house on fire and normal exits unreachable.

If fire has reached your room then you might as well jump back into bed and die cosey...

But if it hasn't... window.

Surely a boardsie has had a house fire before??

Most windows dont allow for adults to exit them very easily as I'm sure you're aware. Certainly not someone of my height and build. In all probability if your escape route has been blocked by flames you will ned to smash the window. Therefore you will need to find something to smash the window, smash it and then jump out in a matter of seconds.

There is a fair probability that the resulting jump will result in injuries of some description.

Coz it looks cool.

So does getting burned to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Send an email and wait for further assistance.

Ruu wrote: »

Sorry, your e-mail has been placed in a queue. Please wait patiently while we try to prevent you dying in a house fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I would say that a large amount of people who die in house fires, who aren't struck down by inhalation poisoning, die trying to save a loved one.

You wake up with the fire alarm going off and an easy exit window next to you, but your child is in the next room or your partner is downstairs. I know I'd take a risk to try and check on my nearest and dearest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

If any of you have ever seen a house fire or had anyone close to you experience a fire, I guarantee you, you would not be joking and trying to come up with witty funny replies on here.

Fire spreads amazingly quickly and yes it is smoke inhalation that usually kills people.

Most houses now have double glazed windows, which I would imagine are very hard to break. I watched a fireman breaking one only last night, it did NOT break with one hit of an axe! He had to hit it a few times to knock it through.

PLEASE make sure you all have aedaquate smoke alarms and have thought through an escape plan for your family.

Fire is horrendous and can kill people very quickly.

BE SAFE :)

Most windows dont allow for adults to exit them very easily as I'm sure you're aware. Certainly not someone of my height and build. In all probability if your escape route has been blocked by flames you will ned to smash the window. Therefore you will need to find something to smash the window, smash it and then jump out in a matter of seconds.

There is a fair probability that the resulting jump will result in injuries of some description.

Okay.... I'm 6 foor 1 and I just managed to get myself into a position whereby I could leap from my window. It's the type where it has to opening sides with a stationary part in the middle. Very common.

If there was a fire I'm pretty sure people could make themselves fit out just about any window.

Also, if there is a need to break it, I don't think it would take too long.

EDIT: Also, if any of you are my neighbour, thanks for giving me those looks while I conducted a very important practical experiment. Weirdo...

Most rooms have chairs, TVs, blah blah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

You would not believe how big an average room FEELS like when its filled with smoke.In the heat and smoke they feel HUGE. If you aren't very careful,feeling your way along the wall for example, you lose any sense of direction and stumble around. You cannot breathe smoke for any length of time before succumbing to it. Honestly, its not like in the films. Smoke has to be experienced to be understood and the heat from a "small fire" contained in a room is unbelievable - probably many times hotter than your oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

Fire [exclamation mark] Fire [exclamation mark] Fire [exclamation mark]

Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Maurice Moss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

has to be posted :D

If that doesnt work.D
    Dial 0118 999 881 999 119 725.....3

Advertisement