Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practical tips for dealing with cold weather

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm having trouble keeping my hands warm with fingerless gloves...
    Any tips?

Chop off your fingers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I know its amazing how little water is left!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Graces7 wrote: »
    Making me itch as a severe wool allergy here. Cannot even wear mix over other layers...

Not actually true re insulation; all natural fibes have that "wicking" effect and it is the layers that insulate and the air trapped between.

Silk or cotton next to the skin will do this and after that any layers. Synthetic fleece is excellent as the top layer.

Thermal over silk long johns is excellent and more windproof than wool; the silk wicks the moisture away .

Many thin layers achieve far more than a couple of thick ones.

Same with the head; a cotton cap then fleece.

Have you tried any clothing with bamboo? It's supposed to be good at moisture wicking and hopefully no allergy worries either. Yep layers are great. Silk is a good base layer, I have a silk balaclava for caving where you spend most of your time cold and wet and it's great. I wouldn't use cotton as a base layer as it absorbs moisture and doesn't dry or wick quickly. If not wool I usually use something made from coolmax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

During the last cold spell I bought several pairs of supposedly 'thermal' socks as I tend to have very cold feet!!! None of them were really any good and most days I wore 3 pairs of socks - which did not fit very well inside my boots........Can anyone recommend a good brand of thermal socks for ladies.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Wear a plastic bag between two socks. You'll probably be too hot then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

BostonB wrote: »

? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

BostonB wrote: »

As mad as this sounds, it works. Someone I work with did thisfor some of the days, kept her feet dry and warm. I laughed when she told me that someone had suggested it to her and she would try it out. Her feet were nice and toasty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its as old as the hills. Cyclists do it a lot. Keeps feet dry and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Maxamber

I'm having trouble keeping my hands warm with fingerless gloves...
    Any tips?

Fingerless gloves are great for working outside, but I stick gel handwarmers in each pocket to rewarm my hands if it's viciously cold. Got mine in Lidl mid-Nov, but Tesco in Arklow still have them for about 3 euros a pair. I'd think the Great Outdoors, sports or camping shops would have them too. Get several sets as they have to be simmered in hot water over heat for 10 minutes to reliquefy them for the next use. Just sitting them in hot water doesn't work.

OR you could get a pair of Sealskinz gloves: they're light, thin and fit really well and are really warm even when wet. Mine were a gift but I think they're fairly expensive, about 40 euros a pair. Wash by hand and dry on a radiator, don't tumbledry them as it does something weird to the insulation and makes them tricky to put on (guess how I know this?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Raffeal

Yorky wrote: »
    Has anyone used shoe chains before such as the ones featured in last weeks Irish Times - http://www.autow.co.uk/AspxPages/ima...Chains:+Size+1 or http://www.autow.co.uk/AspxPages/ima...hains:+Uni-Fit ?

If so, are they any good and where did you get them from?

Thanks in advance.
    Edit/Delete Message

Yorky I have winter tires on my car in Ireland but have used chains in the Alps and Canada. Chains are a lot better than socks which are prone to ripping but it depends on what you're using them for.

It can take a while to get used to fitting chains, once you've found the knack it's no problem and only takes a few minutes. Socks are easier to put on and are suitable for short journeys in wet or slushy snow, i.e. they'lll get you home. They're not much use on ice though and don't tend to last long. If you want to be able to drive safely on ice and snow and need to be on the road regularly I'd go for the chains.

Think halfords are selling them, you'll probably get them cheep now as the snow's gone till feb. I bought mine in a garage in France years ago, and they've worked on many a car at this stage, they last a few more years yet, doubt I'd say that if I'd bought snow socks.

Just make sure you get the right size for your car and wheels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement