Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practical tips for dealing with cold weather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

fryup wrote: »
    i've ordered them too wouldn't get them till next week sometime:(

are they really crap on a cleared surface?

Yep- try to walk on uncleared grass verges rather than the path. It feels really strange and can't be good for them- also it did make one fall off for me. For pure cleared surfaces- take them off. Practice putting them on and off, doesn't take long. OR bring another pair of shoes with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Dont know if this is the right place for this question.

Its -14 outside according to my thermometer. It was -10 not too long ago and that seems like a rapid change.

I anticipate further drops but I have never been in this country when it has been this cold and not sure what to do about the heating. Should I leave it on low or medium all night or have it come on a few times a night. I have a small child in the house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

We have been leaving ours on at night at these temperatures, to prevent burst water pipes and because the house takes so long to warm up if the heating goes off. Would be interested to hear what others think and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Keeping the heating on at a lower temperature will be more economical. If you turn it off then it will need to use more fuel to get the temperature back up.

Keeping a room at say 18c is easier that trying to warm up from 5c. The heating will only come on every now & then to maintain the temperature.

We dont have a room thermostat, just radiator thermostats. We turned the heating off when we went to bed at 11.30 and timed it to come back on at 4am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

I have the heating on for 2 hours in the morning and an hour at 5 oclock.. thats it..

Have a stove (without back boiler) in the living room that keeps most of the house nice for the rest of the day,

Theres no way I could do that lol, it would be freezing in here. We only have gas central heating, no gas fire, no real fire or woodburner although we have an open fireplace that has never been used since we've lived here. Priority next year is to have the chimney swept and some sort of hearth put down!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Calibos
    Did you get those grips in Bray?If so what are they like?They don't open till 11,so thinking of heading down to get some.Kids sick,and hubby,so really need to be mobile if you get my drift(no pun intended):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

bbam wrote: »
    These tyres are not allowed for use in Ireland, since we don't have a complete long lasting snow covering they would damage the road surface and so are not allowed..

Either are snow chains or bullbars, but people still use them on their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Graces7 wrote: »

Silk or cotton next to the skin will do this and after that any layers.

Same with the head; a cotton cap then fleece.

Don't wear cotton if you can avoid it.

Cotton collects perspiration and keeps it next to the skin, which makes you feel cold. Years of diving in dry-suits where there is a lot of sweat (on surface) and lots of cold (under water), and experience hiking and doing work outside.

Thermal / synthetic or wool next to skin. Silk is OK.

And layers, lots of thin layers if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

During the current cold weather the government are advising us before embarking upon any journey to make sure we have a snow shovel, a bag of rock salt, extra clothing, warm drinks, food and a sleeping bag.

I looked a right twat on the bus this morning...

Sorry couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

A good time to defrost the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

snowbabe wrote: »
    Calibos
    Did you get those grips in Bray?If so what are they like?They don't open till 11,so thinking of heading down to get some.Kids sick,and hubby,so really need to be mobile if you get my drift(no pun intended):)

bradys in greystones are stocking them if u havent got them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

You know it's cold in your kitchen when you open the fridge and think its nice and warm in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Practical tip for dealing with the cold weather:

Flight 182 to Miami

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Flight 182 to Miami

That wouldn't work from Dublin Airport at the moment MT. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Flight 182 to Miami

At least nobody will be going to Cali this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Joe Public wrote: »
    I heard that Yak Trax or ice cleats are fine for walking on snow/ice but not good on ordinary ground or for going into shops as they have no grip on hard ground. I guess they are probably like wearing golf or running shoes with metal spikes. If this is the case it might be a bit awkward to keep taking them off and putting back on too often. Has anyone here any experience of wearing them?
    Been using the XTR yaktrax for the last few days:

140415.jpg

They're magnificent on snow and ice, it feels like you're walking on slightly tacky sand at worst. Indoors or on pavement, however, it sounds like a tap dancer having a grand mal seizure, and while it's not unstable, it is a bit awkward and you probably aren't doing the surface much good :(

Mind you, beats a cracked skull...

Ordered them from ebay btw, from a site in Utah, and they got here after the ones I ordered from Austin, TX but weeks ahead of the ones I ordered from the UK, which were apparently posted tonight, so no use for this current cold snap, but might be useful for the cold snap predicted for the first week in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Buy shares in snow shovel companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Get The beers in!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In Germany , if someone slips in front of your house coz U were too lazy to clean the ice in the front , You have to compensate them..

What if you are not able to clean the ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Aldi have a good range of Winter/Ski wear 27 December-some very handy stuff for the weather we're having. http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week52Monday10.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

BostonB wrote: »
    What if you are not able to clean the ice?

I'd imagine you would have to pay someone to do it for you then.

Or ask a friendly neighbour to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Those options are not open to everyone.

I've cleared mine twice and its as if I never touched it. New snow fills it right back up. It can wait till theres a serious thaw now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

External water supply. In some cases, the builders didn't put the external water feed deep enough in the ground. The most vulnerable point is probably the external stop cock where the supply comes off the local main. If you can find the cover, open it and have a look inside, If the stop cock is relatively close to the surface, see if you can find a piece of polystyrene that will fit in the hole and provide a restriction on air circulation, to try and stop cold air sinking down to the valve. The polystyrene needs to be cut to be a very good fit in the hole, and it might need to be 2 pieces so that they will fit through the cover and then still be large enough to block the hole. It might be the difference between the supply freezing or not freezing.

Steve

I put a few old towels down the hole yesterday around the stop-cock. I presume this will do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Has anyone used shoe chains before such as the ones featured in last weeks Irish Times - http://www.autow.co.uk/AspxPages/ima...Chains:+Size+1 or http://www.autow.co.uk/AspxPages/ima...hains:+Uni-Fit ?

If so, are they any good and where did you get them from?

Thanks in advance.
    Edit/Delete Message

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Collect snow in a container e.g. saucepan
    and heat for water to use when water switches off after 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

serenacat wrote: »
    Collect snow in a container e.g. saucepan
    and heat for water to use when water switches off after 7pm

It's such a big disappointment when you do that. You collect a bucketful and it comes out as a pint!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm having trouble keeping my hands warm with fingerless gloves...
    Any tips?

Advertisement