Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do YOU keep your fighting spirit?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    I doubt many people intentionally use lag tactics. Most people online simple don't know how to play properly and just do random things.

Double DP with Ken is difficult to punish offline if your trying to land a combo and not reset him. Nothing new though DP spam with Ken has been around since SF2. Be slightly easier in AE to punish it though.

I've seen posts from both Chopper and A-Trak jokingly admitting to using them in the past.

Just because people aren't aware they're abusing lag doesn't mean they aren't (for example Ibuki's ex neck breaker is much much harder to block online than RL and personally I have a huge problem with hazan shu online too). But that's ok, because I assume when these players get offline and realise these moves aren't the free damage they are online they stop.

It's not really a biggy.

I dunno about you but it's very very rare for someone to land or even try a double dp on me off line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Myself if I start to lose matches I know I should win cleanly and go into that '....Uuuggghhh.... fk sake' state if mind where I feel sort of demoralised, I just either turn off the game for the rest of the night & play an RPG to chill out & reduce the temper & blood pressure lol. 4 hours of rage due to SSF4 or BB can be washed away after 20-30 minutes of Fallout or Oblivion quests. Or just watch something on youtube for a while. Either way it all comes down to keeping calm. I could go on a 10 lose streak full of rage but once I cool down I usually go on a 20 win streak.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Its not a lag tactic if the person isn't aware he's doing it. Its just lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

lag is not as bad as it was in 3s on XBL.
    I think it was more evident in Third strike, as insane stuff was working.
    Mokoto was untouchable at the end of the day. I dont think any pro's touched online at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CloudRunner89

Only rage if I lose with a main and not to sound cocky but I'll usually be convinced it was due to lag.

I completely agree with fallout for a rescue remedy, works wonders.

But tbh when I'm (most likely a lot of others here too) in the mood nothing can stop me from playing. Usually a cup of tea and a cigarette is all the break consists of.

Although something i've taken to is hitting trial/training with a char I don't use but would really like to have as a reliable alt, while having the SRK forum open beside me. You can get lost for hours memorizing their links and combo, let alone developing gameplans and tricks. It's solely due to times like these that I feel I can be somewhat of a terror with the saikyo master.

• Advertisement

Its not a lag tactic if the person isn't aware he's doing it. Its just lag.

Is that not just arguing semantics?

You could just as easily say it IS a lag tactic, just the player is not aware it is one.

Doesn't change the fact it's a tactic which the user is relying on lag for to succeed!

Anyway yeah taking a break when you're getting annoyed or burnt out is the way to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

So do you consider throwing sonic booms a lag tactic then? Laggy booms are a nightmare but thats guiles playstyle.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Well I would consider "lag tactics" as something a player has deliberatley set out to do and I would consider it pretty lame if they did do so.

If they don't know lag is the reason or a contributing reason to the success of the tactics they are using then it isn't lag tactics. So I would like to make the distinction between the majority of players who don't do it or are not aware lag could be assisiting with the success of certain tactics and those (a very small minority IMO) that would deliberatley stoop to that level.

To say as Kiki said that "Most Euro players are lag tactics abusing scrubs" is just wrong. The majority of players online just not very good players as is the majority of players in nearly everyone online game in every genre (except old classics with an established hardcore player base). Most people don't have many people to play against offine, don't look up many replays or read forums in any great detail they just play the game and as a result can't play the game that well (being bad at a game isn't a crime). But at least they are not cheaters.

bush wrote: »
    So do you consider throwing sonic booms a lag tactic then? Laggy booms are a nightmare but thats guiles playstyle.

Are they? How so? Is it the speed of the ex?
    Yeah in that case throwing booms is a good lag tactic.

Well I would consider "lag tactics" as something a player has deliberatley set out to do and I would consider it pretty lame if they did do so.

If they don't know lag is the reason or a contributing reason to the success of the tactics they are using then it isn't lag tactics. So I would like to make the distinction between the majority of players who don't do it or are not aware lag could be assisiting with the success of certain tactics and those (a very small minority IMO) that would deliberatley stoop to that level.

To say as Kiki said that "Most Euro players are lag tactics abusing scrubs" is just wrong. The majority of players online just not very good players as is the majority of players in nearly everyone online game in every genre (except old classics with an established hardcore player base). Most people don't have many people to play against offine, don't look up many replays or read forums in any great detail they just play the game and as a result can't play the game that well (being bad at a game isn't a crime). But at least they are not cheaters.

Put that way it's fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Are they? How so? Is it the speed of the ex?
    Yeah in that case throwing booms is a good lag tactic.

Ye its hard to bulldog through them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Paul on the other hand is a different breed of Ken scrub..Random Sh1te galore it's hilarious.
    I've seen posts from both Chopper and A-Trak jokingly admitting to using them in the past.

No joke, serious business.
    jab srk to fierce is 70% of my Ken gameplay. Mix in the odd kara throw there you have it, gdlk online Ken.

I often mash out an ultra after the blocked j.srk to keep folks on their toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

A-Trak wrote: »
    jab srk to fierce is 70% of my Ken gameplay. Mix in the odd kara throw there you have it, gdlk online Ken.

You da Best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

A-Trak wrote: »

Yeah, I sort of noticed that, you were recklessly activating Ken's ultra in a lot of the matches I played against you last night, only a few of them hit. I take you were only having a laugh, nothing wrong with that.

As for myself, I only ever rage in ranked mode. I know I shouldn't really care about points, especially considering that most of those on the top are cheating boosters but its still annoying to lose to stuff that wouldn't happen offline, like getting thrown when I had already pressed the throw command to tech! ( and its hardly the TV to blame anymore, the Xbox is connected via VGA. )

I've gotten so frustrated at times that I've slammed my fightpad on the ground. I've had to open it twice to fix dislodged buttons from me slamming it on the ground. Hence why I'm not too keen on having extended Ranked mode sessions, they are usually part of longer sessions, which I spend most of in an endless lobby.

In the case of endless mode online and offline casuals / tournaments, I'm more likely to feel depressed if I end up losing a lot or being knocked out earlier than I thought but I usually bounce back afterwards.

As for what I do to keep my fighting spirit up? If I have a particularly bad run in ranked mode, I'll avoid it for a few days. I'll also occasionally take a break from playing for a day or two. I'll also watch as many videos of GOOD players using my character and read up on any match ups I'm having trouble with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Best shoto lag-tactic:
    Jump-in ANYTHING (blocked), then I get to see them walk forward for a full SECOND and BAM, I get thrown.

Only happens on medium-bad connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Some good advice for a similar problem in this thread :)

Ahh those were the days :D

Given that I'm the foremost authority on rage and whinging, I'll give you my advice.

A couple of times I've done what Sagat08 said about playing through it and you get to a weird state of nirvana but that was after serious amount of self deprecation and hate until I just thought I give up and I dont care. It got to the point where I'd join a game and not press anything just because I knew I'd lose (Yeh I know). Then at this lowest point I stopped caring and started to just play again without care trying to just watch what they were doing and take something in since they were all so much better than me obviously cuz I'm losing. Gradually I started winning some and after a few more realised I hadn't lost a game in ages and was quickly regaining all the points I'd lost. I was also able to see how bad people were playing and how silly it'd been to be losing to them in the first place.

My advice is give it a break however because getting to that special I don't mind place is a horrible road to travel. Yeh it's lovely and you can play for ages once you get there win or lose but the rage before hand is just not worth it. As soon as you feel that first niggle from a loss. It's best to stop there before the next loss pushes it to a point of no return. I can't stop playing after I've lost a couple in a row because I feel like I've been beaten and that makes me want to win more just to redeem myself when I should really have taken a break after the first slight feeling of anger at a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CloudRunner89

This seems a bit odd but I've been playing with no music, only fx and voices. Really helps focusing on the small things.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

This seems a bit odd but I've been playing with no music, only fx and voices. Really helps focusing on the small things.

Im the same, But recently I've been playing metal music for my ibuki gameplay.. Always appers that when i get the vortex going theres a really heavy part of the song, which is awesome..

If i get a game where its laggy I cant do **** cause of the timing of the vortex judging jump ins, crossup's and piddle like that. Pain the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you just need to get used to losing, go on GGPO and play 3rd Strike.

The matches are faster, and you'll very likely get bodied by a few vets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HandiCapanda

Play seth for a few weeks and feel my pain. getting 'onlined' by some gypsy who randoms a shoryu is ridiculously annoying. Just remember often you aren't being outclassed, you're being screwed.

There are of course plenty of players that just outdo you, but just accept that they play more and know more. You'll just have to learn.

To deal with rage, often if i find something isn't working i try switching it up. Usually to easy mode characters like honda and guile.

Also try playing with people you know in endless because then its all banter and funny moments can be shared, just ask ken about hakan or dan, or even the ibuki taunt of all ibuki taunts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement