Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do YOU keep your fighting spirit?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey everybody, due to looking forward to getting back into casuals, I've been online pretty much non-stop. At the minute I've hit a losing streak that I imagine puts the self-loathing of male erectile dysfunction to shame. The type where you lose to even online T.Hawk players. So I'm here for advice. I'm sure it happens to all of us (losing streaks not male erectile dysfunction, although there's nothing wrong with that either), so should I walk away before attacking my tv, switch up characters for fun, play ST? What do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

One of two things.... turn it off and watch Bear Grylls before falling asleep or play through the pain until I hit some sort of Nirvana state, stop shouting at my tv and start to actually play decently. It does happen honestly.

More often than not option one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

WTF? Colourful. My advice would be to watch a load of videos of others playin your character and see how they're playin the matches.

Also use the trials to help with execution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CloudRunner89

ayjayirl wrote: »
    WTF? Colourful. My advice would be to watch a load of videos of others playin your character and see how they're playin the matches.

Also use the trials to help with execution.

This is my usual "training" anyway but I think hitting traing mode for drills should help, TY!

@SAGAT06: I think that a mix of the two would make a godlike routine*

*from now on I'll by referring to this as "the perfect storm"

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Some good advice for a similar problem in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

ayjayirl wrote: »
    WTF? Colourful.

Solid advice. No?

Anywho for me losing streaks can be a combination of things. Picking up the game after a while off and expecting to be as good as you were the last time you played (but not being), or reading too much info on your character and thinking too much during real matches trying to execute things you are not natural enough at yet. So two things, one get into the training room and get your combos and links down to the point you dont even have to thing about doing them, and two persevere, losing streaks come to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Remember it's just online. Most Euro players are lag tactics abusing scrubs, so Feck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Remember it's just online. Most Euro players are lag tactics abusing scrubs, so Feck them.

what he says is true, i hate playing online for that reason and only go to casual. If get use to online, it mess up my timing for combos >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CloudRunner89

I completely agree but not being xboxlive friends with any serious SF players in ireland and casuals being twice a week, it leaves you with little choice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

To be honest I'm the same, I really do get frustrated and angry playing online, sometimes even after I win. I really don't feel like it's the same game, and sometimes adopting tactics that get me wins online annoy me more than losing.

It doesn't bother me at all losing to a player repeatedly offline, but SSF4 online really gets to me for some reason (GGPO is generally fine, maybe because the netcode is a lot better).

@ Cloudrunner: it's true that casuals are only a couple times a week usually, but stick up a thread a day in advance and a few people are usually up for heading in (probably not true during the Christmas season however).

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I can't tell the difference between lag tactics and people who just don't play the game properly because they don't know how to.

What are lag tactics exactly? Obviously I do know what lag is and I have had plenty of laggy games, sometimes where my net is the cause of it (never intentionally though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    To be honest I'm the same, I really do get frustrated and angry playing online, sometimes even after I win. I really don't feel like it's the same game, and sometimes adopting tactics that get me wins online annoy me more than losing.

It doesn't bother me at all losing to a player repeatedly offline, but SSF4 online really gets to me for some reason (GGPO is generally fine, maybe because the netcode is a lot better).

@ Cloudrunner: it's true that casuals are only a couple times a week usually, but stick up a thread a day in advance and a few people are usually up for heading in (probably not true during the Christmas season however).

Yes, agreed. I rarely ever rage or get annoyed with a game but online with SFIV drove me crazy, as you said even when I did win I felt like it wasn't worth it :o

And yeah GGPO seems a lot better for sure....

As far as fighting spirit goes it really depends on the game. I don't play SFIV per se so I couldn't tell you

The one thing that keeps/kept me going is just sheer perseverance. Watching your matches/replays back and seeing where you went wrong, training mode obviously for execution and experimentation, watch videos and read forums, knowledge is power and time well spent is the greatest investment you can make

Don't push yourself but if you do want to get better just envision it and you will, with the right work. Be determined

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Ramza wrote: »

Don't push yourself but if you do want to get better just envision it and you will, with the right work. Be determined

Zen like advice :pac:

But seriously, playing SF4 online goes from infuriating to ridiculous at times. I stopped playing online for a few months and have started playing a bit again but am trying to avoid using Bison as much as possible for reasons Dreddy alluded to.

Playing online, I just pick characters I think are fun and mess around and it isn't half as irritating.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    I can't tell the difference between lag tactics and people who just don't play the game properly because they don't know how to.

What are lag tactics exactly? Obviously I do know what lag is and I have had plenty of laggy games, sometimes where my net is the cause of it (never intentionally though).

The tactic I've most often heard of as a lag tactic is the "online special" which is a shoto doing a jab SRK then immediately doing a fierce after it. Offline it's pretty punishable, online I've fallen prey to it many the time :)
    blag wrote: »
    Zen like advice :pac:

But seriously, playing SF4 online goes from infuriating to ridiculous at times. I stopped playing online for a few months and have started playing a bit again but am trying to avoid using Bison as much as possible for reasons Dreddy alluded to.

Playing online, I just pick characters I think are fun and mess around and it isn't half as irritating.

Think I am going to do this too. I get an offline rage fit every once in a blue moon but it's multiplied 1,000 fold online.

I don't like what it does to my game either- I rapidly devolve into mashing techs etc. because my timing is all off.

Anyway in answer to the OP if I lose a couple of matches in a row I stop playing or go to the training room and try to reset my brain before the rage sets in.

If you want people to play OP, there's a sticky at the top of this forum with all our XBLs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

The tactic I've most often heard of as a lag tactic is the "online special" which is a shoto doing a jab SRK then immediately doing a fierce after it. Offline it's pretty punishable, online I've fallen prey to it many the time :)

This is punishable offline?

I never knew that :(
    Kens catch me with this all the time online.

My ratio of playing against Kens online Versus offline, is like 50 billion to one, once, and only for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yep fully punishable offline..The amount of gimps that use it online. The oul double DP whammy.
    Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Yep fully punishable offline..The amount of gimps that use it online. The oul double DP whammy.
    Scum.

You're the only Ken I've ever played offline, and you just Kara threw me to death :pac:

Double DP whammy never came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

This is me playing online.

Grumble grumble.... What is he doing?.... Grumble grumble.... Scrub....grumble grumble... Why would you do that?.... Grumble grumble.... OH MY GOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

bush wrote: »
    This is me playing online.

Grumble grumble.... What is he doing?.... Grumble grumble.... Scrub....grumble grumble... Why would you do that?.... Grumble grumble.... OH MY GOD!

Haha, that pretty much sums it up for me, especially the "why would you do that?".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

The main word I use when playing online SFIV is

HOWWWWWWWW!!?!1111one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Solid advice. No?

yeh it is, sorry, I was typing a reply and when I was finished, your one had come in. My colourful remark was for the original post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

SELL YOUR STICK and GAME
    change your online name to RY

aka take a break

Scum.

excuse me, you do it all the time. Teaching paul bad tactics, now he does it too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Placebo wrote: »
    excuse me, you do it all the time.

thatsthejoke.jpg

Placebo wrote: »
    SELL YOUR STICK and GAME
    change your online name to RY

aka take a break

excuse me, you do it all the time. Teaching paul bad tactics, now he does it too

The cheek. I never double DP. In fact I've ingrained it into my head so much that i hardly ever DP any more at all which is a problem.
    Paul on the other hand is a different breed of Ken scrub..Random Sh1te galore it's hilarious.

As for you and your online Cammy antics..Forget about double dp..you can DP all day and never have to worry about recovery or punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

lads, the biggest lag tactics of all time is picking ken and kara throwing, go away u

Pfff...the reason you get Kara thrown is because you tech at the wrong time, you don't expect them

Kara throws change the window/teching time needed

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pfff...the reason you get Kara thrown is because you tech at the wrong time, you don't expect them

Kara throws change the window/teching time needed

Can deejay be thrown out of sobat? If not that could be a REAL deterrant for compulsive kara throwers

I've never done it.Your right his Sobats kill me when i fight him if used correctly.I HATE THEM

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I doubt many people intentionally use lag tactics. Most people online simple don't know how to play properly and just do random things.

Double DP with Ken is difficult to punish offline if your trying to land a combo and not reset him. Nothing new though DP spam with Ken has been around since SF2. Be slightly easier in AE to punish it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

To the OP, do get mad when you lose or when you lose with your mains?

E.G I only ever get angry if I lose to someone I felt I should have beat if I'm gief or hakan.

I never use hakan in ranked theses days just because he is awkward enough to use offline and online it jams me up completely.

If I want have fun in ranked, I either pick random or if I'm hosting, I pick the character whose theme played in the lobby while I wait.

Or I pick gen, use crane stance and will only use cr.lk or throw for the whole match. If I lose, I've had a good laugh and if I win, any rage is totally gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Can deejay be thrown out of sobat? If not that could be a REAL deterrant for compulsive kara throwers

No he can't at the moment.

Advertisement