Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite quote

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Two from Reagan:

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

"Like a midget at a urinal I knew I'd have to stay on my toes" - Frank Drebin

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

This too shall pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Virtue is its own reward.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

There was a quote my English teacher had framed when I were at school I always liked, just can't seem to remember it fully.

It was more or less saying that it is far easier to teach a simple man with an open mind a complex idea, than an intelligent man with a closed mind a simple one.

Ring any bells with anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

" The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today, is that the foolish are cocksure, whilst the intelligent are full of doubt"

- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

Things haven't changed much, have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

"It is easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle, than it is for a camel to."
    Rowan Atkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

This isn't my favourite one. But a nice one I seen recently about music.

Music does bring people together. It allows us to experience the same emotions. People everywhere are the same in heart and spirit. No matter what language we speak, what color we are, the form of our politics or the expression of our love and our faith, music proves: We are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

'but boys will be boys and girls have those eyes that'll cut you to ribbons some times.'
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    'And all you can do is just wait by the moon and bleed if it's what she says you oughta do'

Spot the Gaslight fans :D

And in a similar vein

'And if all was well and your heart could find the words, would we be for better baby, would we be for worse'

But a non Gaslight one..

'It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

-- John Lennon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

OutlawPete wrote: »
    There was a quote my English teacher had framed when I were at school I always liked, just can't seem to remember it fully.

It was more or less saying that it is far easier to teach a simple man with an open mind a complex idea, than an intelligent man with a closed mind a simple one.

Ring any bells with anyone?

The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him”

Leo Tolstoy, The Kingdom of God is within you, 1897

That it?

(Thanks Dirk) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

That it?

It is indeed.

Haven't seen that in twenty years or more, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Common sense is one of the least common things in the world. Along with common courtesy and common knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” Theodore Roosevelt

TLDR version fcuk the begrudgers and critics

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible ****... me.

Bricktop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Never waste a good hard on..

Jack Nicholson

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."
    Tuli Kupferberg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

All a bit deep and meaningful. So I'll go with: "You never see an old man eating a twix"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

My fav is between "Enjoying the journey is more important then the destination" and the legendary...

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

I also love:

Were not here for a long time, were here for a good time

If oppertunity doesn't knock, build a door

I'll be back

If Butch goes to indo-China I want a N*gger in a bowl of rice ready to pop a cap in his ass

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered. George Best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

He who is wise is intelligent enough to know that using another persons words to mask their own lack of mental capacity is truly pathetic.

-Anon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

"Our children are living messages we send forth to a time we will not see" - not sure who said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

barbarians wrote: »
    Experience is simply the name we give our past mistakes.
    Oscar Wilde.
    Couldn't agree more.
    It's a shame that he was treated like a pariah.
    Mind you, that was mostly by those who followed biblical teachings...

Jaafa wrote: »
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee.

Jules (Pulp Fiction....oh and the bible originally)
    "When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion."

The bible. Full of wisdom.
    FoxT wrote: »
    " The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today, is that the foolish are cocksure, whilst the intelligent are full of doubt"

- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

Things haven't changed much, have they?

I like that, but I'd argue it to a certain point.
    The foolish are indeed cocksure, but a large majority of them are also intelligent enough to cause doubt amongst even the most intelligent people.

As well as that, some intelligent people are more than willing to cause doubt amongst the foolish for their own gain. Politicians are particularly adept at this.

While it may not be my favourite quote, it very much applies to the above:
    "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Franklin D. Roosevelt.

We are constantly being told by every politician and pundit that we are boned, but things are not that bad. All we need to do is have some faith in the economy, keep buying Irish produced products and we will slowly get back on our feet.

My own favourite quote is one from Shakespeare's Henry IV part 1.
    I know you all, and will awhile uphold
    The unyoked humour of your idleness:
    Yet herein will I imitate the sun,
    Who doth permit the base contagious clouds
    To smother up his beauty from the world,
    That, when he please again to be himself,
    Being wanted, he may be more wonder'd at,
    By breaking through the foul and ugly mists
    Of vapours that did seem to strangle him.
    If all the year were playing holidays,
    To sport would be as tedious as to work;
    But when they seldom come, they wish'd for come,
    And nothing pleaseth but rare accidents.
    So, when this loose behavior I throw off
    And pay the debt I never promised,
    By how much better than my word I am,
    By so much shall I falsify men's hopes;
    And like bright metal on a sullen ground,
    My reformation, glittering o'er my fault,
    Shall show more goodly and attract more eyes
    Than that which hath no foil to set it off.
    I'll so offend, to make offence a skill;
    Redeeming time when men think least I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Is it sad that all i can come up with is a Simpsons quote?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

'I'm as mad as hell, and I won't take it anymore!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 shane1992

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I hate purity, I hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt. - Winston Smith, "1984"

Advertisement