Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most extravagant thing you have bought?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Stinicker wrote: »
    Why save when there is no future here, I live for the moment and tomorrow can worry about itself because I am living in the present.

How are things Fingers??:D

I bought myself the Taschen Cities of the World engravings edition a few years back. Basically a 16th century book of paintings of the cities of the world. Weighs about half a tonne, is about two foot tall, and bout 3 wide, and cost €120. Add in the shelf I had built to sit it on, and it's the best part of €150. Worth every penny though, especially since I don't have to buy Lonely Planet city guides whenever I go abroad!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

While not the most expensive thing I've ever bought, I got my girlfriend a Chanel handbag. It made her deliriously happy, but at the end of the day I spent how much on a leather bag used to store things?

The endless mystery of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

some toilet roll and a bottle of shampoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy Seat

Spent a while thinking about this one...

Don't even have the mortgage or car, or a bed (mattress cost me less than a tenner), bike was made from spare parts, and that's about all I own... I think the most money I've spent on anything would be travelling expenses...

But I think the most extravagantly priced thing I have bought would be my tattoos. Equivalent of about 1,500 euros for one of them, I think that's been my single biggest purchase outside of plane flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

o1s1n wrote: »
    Most recently my candy cab. ****ing monitor was damaged during the move though. Has still yet to be fixed.

Still..looks pretty!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69246954&postcount=1874

o1s mate, you got issues :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Having lived in second hand and penneys clothes my whole life, I spotted a dress one day in the window of Karen Millen.
    I have never fallen in love so obsessively ever in my life.

The next day I withdrew (all) of my savings and bought the dress.

It makes me look like a model. In fact it is a magic dress.

Worth every single cent.:)

Alot of the seafood meals I've had in Asia fall under the extravagant bracket.. Stuff that would cost a fortune in Ireland except the food is nicer and the service is perfect here.
    My 20yr old, impractical, expensive but absolutely beautiful BMW is the most extravagant I ever got back home. No need for it whatsoever so I think it fits in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Snuggle down of Norway ultimate Hungarian goose down duvet,man I love this duvet.it's so snuggly and is worth every penny. Why Do people scrimp on bedding when we spend so much time in bed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

€3000 for lazor eye surgery and its happening today :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

A handbag i bought in Bloomingdales cost around €430 best idea at the time but never really get to use it does not go with anything.:(

Actually probably getting to America to go to Bloomingdales was most i ever spent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Ive spent about 2500 on a vespa 4 years ago that still gets me everywhere. then maybe camera equipment to the tune of about 1000 over the years.

my most recent one was 800 on a banjo.

thats pretty much all my belongings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

kowloon wrote: »
    They started calling them 'desktop replacements'. Had something similar with a metal case, damn thing weighed a ton so it ended up sitting on my desktop.

:D

Same here. Was impossible to work anywhere but a flat table surface. It would either burn the thighs off you or overheat. The battery was brutal and taking it anywhere with you in a case gave your shoulders cramps. I still miss it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

my most recent one was 800 on a banjob

Anyone else read that as 800 on a handjob or is it just me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Spent e1000 on root canal treatment on two molars last years and now told by my local dentist that the teeth might have to come out. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

hal9000 wrote: »

hahaha! woops. although.....nah the strings would grate on me willy.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

A Cherry Red Gibson Les Paul Special Double-Cut, which I later managed to have signed by Ozzy Osbourne.

I call her Siouxsie. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Besides the obvious house and car, unless of course its something super cool like a tree house or Delorean.

Mine is an 800e fish tank - Don't even like all that much but for some reason I thought it looked cool at the time!

So whats yours?

I bought 1 hour tank driving for my husband for his birthday last year.
    I was outrageously expensive at over €400, but he had fun, and he got to drive the tank over a car. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If it hasn't already gone horribly wrong and you cant see this, it's nothing to worry about.:D
    I got it done about 2 years ago, it's a couple of hours of mild discomfort and that's it. Best thing i ever done, plus i claimed it twice on my taxes so it cost practically nothing!

No huge extravagancies to report, i'm a bit of an impulse buyer so i rarely if ever have enough money build up to buy anything extravagant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I spent €600 on an iphone 3G a few days after it was released over in the states, bought it on ebay and it was unlocked to any network, it was pricey but Ive had it for almost 2 years now and it was well worth it!

I stick iphones up my bum bum - Apple user

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

My honeymoon to California and Las Vegas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I bought a dance in Angels once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

*Ahem*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

€3k on laser eye surgery, and 2 years later I was back in specs again. Oh well.

IR£150 on a pair of New Rock boots 10 years ago, so comfy and durable, worth every penny.

AUS$500 (approx) on an Aboriginal painting. I just fell in love with it in the gallery, visited it every day, and finally maxxed out my credit card to buy it then about another €200 for the frame. I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

A PSI hoop, now for all you non juggler types it's one of these:

http://www.psihoops.com/purchase.htm

It was €360 including p & p but totally worth it. It's awesome. I'm going buy another 2 soon so I can get my triple hoop on:D!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

My ipad...already had a laptop, but the ipad is just so sexy and handy.

Also spending $4000USD on a weeks cage diving with Great White Sharks. Was mind blowing but when i think of how much money i have spent on various dive trips....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

ipad is worth it though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Not buying a condom... cost me a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

I suppose relatively speaking I paid 3euro for a cup of coffee in a petrol station and I had to make it myself, and it tasted like piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

OAOB wrote: »
    I recently bought a 1963 one, extravagant but lots of fun

I bought a 1977 Yellow Land Rover Defender pickup. It was a hybrid (3 different Land Rovers were used to make it) and it had a 3.5 litre V8 engine that ran on leaded petrol. It caught fire on the motorway home from Wales and then swallowed about another2 grand. For all the money it took though, it was worth it just for the stares from people as you drove by (and for the noise! :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Brand name toilet roll. Not worth it.

Advertisement