Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alphas (Syfy) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

normal people with super powers, so 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

On the fence about this show now after the 2nd one, agree it felt very different to the pilot, also the format feels very tried. Us vs. Them / Hunt down a different baddie each week. It's been done to death and better elsewhere.

Little or no character development in ep 2, and to be honest I really find it hard to care about any of them.

Early days yet though I guess, so I'll stick with it for another 2 or 3 perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked episode 2. A bit more than episode 1 actually.
    Marcus' power was really well done, and the ending means we haven't seen the last of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr E wrote: »
    I liked episode 2. A bit more than episode 1 actually.
    Marcus' power was really well done, and the ending means we haven't seen the last of him.

The best one we have seen of the 2 episodes by a long shot and certainly the most interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

His power was already done in an episode of Fringe, Plateau....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

it's like a bad version of Heroes...not hooked on it. Season 1 of Heroes was so good cos they were just discovering their powers and how they were all connected. this just jumps straight to the cliched (at this point) "Us versus Them" plot...i'll watch a few more episodes but not expecting much

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Awful stuff. Really and truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not really gone on it at all
    it reminded me of Painkiller Jane where a team would track down Supers and have them sent to a facility that ended up not being legit
    sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Definately enjoyed episode 2 more than the first one. Im not really a fan of episodic dramas. I much prefer my shows to have a season long arc but I get the feeling that this show will have both.

The guy's superpower was a mix of what we saw in the BBC remake of Sherlock Holmes and the power seen in that episode of Fringe. Pretty good, but I'm really not pushed on the other characters yet.

• Advertisement

:eek: wow!...brilliant episode!!!!!...jesus, that whole sequence with Mathew and the Alphas going nuts and fighting, :eek: - jesus that was hardcore stuff!, brilliantly done and shot, brutal, bloody and violent.

Story wise the best yet, some very good character development as well + Binghamton!, we've seen a bit of it. Did anyone suspect there was more to the buzzing coming from the other building?....liike someone spying on the Alphas or tryna stop Garys abilities?

The preview of the upcoming eps. looked pretty good....and ...Summer Glau!!!! :D

LOL!...talk about typecast, looks as if she's playing yet another unhinged character, c'mon Summer.....do something different! [but Ms. glau is always a welcome addition to any show] :) + as suspected, Nina + Hicks get in on in an upcoming ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I thought it was a really good episode as well. I'm actually really liking it. Visually, the effects are really well done and you are starting to learn more about the characters.

it is very different to Heroes I think,and besides,Heroes had almost only one good season and the rest was absolute shit.

I think this show has real potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

Not really brilliant but enough for the summer break. I love shows about people with super powers and it is billion times better than the nine lives of chloe something. Not as good as the first season of heroes but will do.

What I dislike about is the artificial dialogues, why do the writers feel like they have to make everybody talk at the same time? The doctor whatshisname is a bit too preachy to my liking and most characters are greatly exaggerated but I like the idea of the show and the two last episodes were watchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

*Hicks grabs girl and jumps up to balcony using his super amazing ability*

Girl (looking confused): how did we get up here?

^^this just shows what is so bad about Alphas...i mean, come on...did the writers seriously think was good? think i'll be dropping this. just a rebranded police procedural with superpowers, and bad ones at that.

I'm liking this show more, very interesting ep. this week that firmly established the season/series arc...namely Red Flag, great twist having the autistic girl being the leader of Red Flag....anyone see that coming?

Good character development for Gary, affirming his independence...also starting to question Rosen, in fact Rosen sorta burned bridges with Nina and Hicks in this ep.
    I'm wondering if Rosen is hiding something?...i got the sense that perhaps Rosen is a fair bit more shady then what the Alphas think.

What i like is the execution and exposition of these characters powers, with a limited budget they have to be creative, no CGI leads to inventive ways and rather offbeat take on powers.

The whole process of this autistic girl and how she communicates was original...her being the mastermind behind it all was imo...original.

GARRET DILLAHUNT, SUMMER GLAU, BRENT SPINER AND LINDSAY WAGNER HIGHLIGHT THE LIST OF GUEST STARS TO APPEAR IN UPCOMING EPISODES OF SYFY’S

NEW HIT SUMMER SERIES

NEW YORK – August 2, 2011 – Syfy’s new hit series Alphas will feature an impressive lineup of special guest stars for its debut season. Garret Dillahunt (Raising Hope), Summer Glau (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Alaina Huffman (Stargate Universe), Rebecca Mader (Lost), Brent Spiner (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Lindsay Wagner (The Bionic Woman) and Peter Wingfield (Caprica) will join previously announced recurring guest star Valerie Cruz.

Alphas, airing Monday nights at 10PM ET/PT on Syfy, follows a clandestine group of ordinary people whose unique neurological condition equips them with extraordinary physical abilities. Operating within the U.S. Department of Defense, the Alphas team is led by preeminent neurologist and psychiatrist Dr. Lee Rosen (Emmy Award-winner and Academy Award-nominee David Strathairn (Temple Grandin, Good Night, and Good Luck). The ensemble cast also stars Malik Yoba (New York Undercover, Why Did I Get Married?), Warren Christie (October Road), Azita Ghanizada (Castle), Ryan Cartwright (Mad Men, Bones) and Laura Mennell (Watchmen).

Episode #105 “Never Let Me Go”
    Premieres Monday, August 15th at 10PM ET/PT
    Guest star: Lindsay Wagner reprises her role as Dr. Vanessa Calder from Warehouse 13.

Episode #106 “Bill and Gary’s Excellent Adventure”
    Premieres Monday, August 8th at 10PM ET/PT
    Guest Stars: Alaina Huffman and Peter Wingfield

Episode #107 “Catch and Release”
    Premieres Monday August 22nd at 10PM ET/PT
    Guest star: Summer Glau

Episode #108 “A Short Time in Paradise”
    Premieres Monday, August 29th at 10PM ET/PT
    Guest star: Garret Dillahunt

Episode #109 “Blind Spot”
    Premieres Monday, September 12th at 10:00PM ET/PT
    Guest star: Brent Spiner and Rebecca Mader

source: syfy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I have to say I like it,another good episode. Its nothing spectacular or anything,but its not cheesy,the acting isn't bad and it has potential. especially for a mid-season show I am very impressed and actually look forward to it now.

Ep. 5 was just average, it was the story that really let it down...uninteresting, not a great Alpha ability, a love drug mommy killing people. But it did serve as a device for character development for Rachel, got a bit more insight into her...was anyone creeped out Rosen sees Rachel as his daugther?

Gary is fast becoming the best charcter, he had some great scenes and funny lines "baller", my hair is bruised etc. I'd like to get to know Nina more....she seems kinds bitchy and stuck up right now, weird walk as well. Tbh....she seems like a girl who is minted but her clothes are crap!, tight pants and high heels that make her walk really funny.....she takes these huge giant strides, it's like she on a fashion catwalk, not natural.

Weak ass ep. - hoping for more next week.

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    I agree, I enjoyed the second episode more than I did the pilot. Marcus' ability was an interesting one, his potential villainy and the way his power integrates with his paranoid tendencies is a little more subtle than the usual stereotype (see Heroes: Sylar).

We're very much being set up for an Us v Them storyline, but that much was obvious from the beginning. Also, not feeling the chemistry between Nina and Hicks. Feels a bit forced. Just because you have two supa-powahed hotties sharing an office building doesn't necessarily mean they have to get it ooonnn!

HA!....whatcha think now Jaxxy?....seems kinda sweaty to me! ;)

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/08/alphas-episode-106-bill-and-garys.html

Alania Huffman guest starring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What's this like? I don't want to read through the thread and ruin it if it's any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is this set in the same universe as Warehouse 13 and Eureka?
    i ask because Lindsey Wagners character has been in several episodes of W13 and that show is tied into Eureka

Nina + Hicks knockin' boots again tonight....are you shipping them?

http://www.daemonstv.com/2011/08/29/alphas-syfy-a-short-time-in-paradise-episode-8/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Monotype wrote: »
    What's this like? I don't want to read through the thread and ruin it if it's any good.
    Seems pretty decent so far, it's not 'must see tv' and you're not missing out on a lot, but you could do worse. IMO it took an episode or two to get used to it not being heroes, but it has been improving steadily ever since. It's only 5 episodes in and it takes most shows longer to hit their stride, so I'm getting hopeful it'll become a very good show.

Monotype wrote: »

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/08/30/syfy-alphas-summer-drama-david-strathairn-ryan-cartwright/

I've caught up with the episodes. I would have to agree with most people - not great but not terrible. I'll keep watching for another while.

Writing could be a bit better but the acting good. Good to see a selection of guest stars. Garret Dillahunt in that last episode (these kinds of programmes nearly always have a story line with someone leading a cult and lots of people dying as a result!) and Summer Glau (does she seem scrawnier or is the cast relatively larger? - lol at her playing someone slightly mad again).

Skerries wrote: »
    i ask because Lindsey Wagners character has been in several episodes of W13 and that show is tied into Eureka

According to wikipedia, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Skerries wrote: »

I was just going to post this, she works for { or her cover is} a CDC employ.

So it look like Alphas, Warehouse 13 and Eureka are all set in the same universe.

^ i disagree....Wagner was a CDC employee, she played it straight...not hammy like Eureka/W13...i don't think the tone and acting/scripting is in the same universe as W13/Eureka.

Btw....no episdode next week, SyFy are running marathons, new ep. in two weeks with that "seen to be belived" Alpha power per Rebecca Mader.

What's warehouse 13 like by the way? It can't be too bad given that it's on season 3, but often it's the worst stuff that keeps going. I thought Eureka was rubbish so I won't be watching that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

^ i disagree....Wagner was a CDC employee, she played it straight...not hammy like Eureka/W13...i don't think the tone and acting/scripting is in the same universe as W13/Eureka.
    Even though the whole tone is totally different, I think they're going to have some crossover but not to same extent as Eureka/W13.

What's warehouse 13 like by the way? It can't be too bad given that it's on season 3, but often it's the worst stuff that keeps going. I thought Eureka was rubbish so I won't be watching that.
    If you don't like Eureka, you really won't like W13, it's basically the same show with 'magic' in place of 'science'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Btw....no episdode next week, SyFy are running marathons, new ep. in two weeks with that "seen to be belived" Alpha power per Rebecca Mader.

I was going on her having the same name and same cover storty plus this...

00:28:06,689 --> 00:28:10,926
    I still don't understand
    the addiction to the oxytocin.

00:28:10,960 --> 00:28:13,362
    I mean, does your team
    have any idea what's causing it?

00:28:13,396 --> 00:28:17,532
    Um, yes, we do.

00:28:21,037 --> 00:28:23,138
    Okay.

[B][U][COLOR="Red"]602
    00:28:23,172 --> 00:28:26,475
    Just the glaring silence
    of government work.

00:28:26,509 --> 00:28:30,946
    Something you seem to
    be familiar with.[/COLOR][/U][/B]

00:28:30,980 --> 00:28:32,663
    It's been a pleasure.

00:28:32,688 --> 00:28:33,888
    Thank You.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Even though the whole tone is totally different, I think they're going to have some crossover but not to same extent as Eureka/W13.

If you don't like Eureka, you really won't like W13, it's basically the same show with 'magic' in place of 'science'.

I would hate to see a cross over show but it does open the show up to some interesting possibility...

Advertisement