Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alphas (Syfy) [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 08-12-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,919 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Syfy-Picks-Alphas-1026504.aspx

Syfy has picked up Alphas, a drama starring David Strathairn.
    The network has ordered 11 episodes of the project, in addition to the pilot, which revolves around a team of ordinary citizens with extraordinary mental abilities. Known as Alphas, they tackle cases that the CIA, FBI and Pentagon are unable to solve. Strathairn, 61, plays Dr. Leigh Rosen, the eccentric Alphas leader willing to bend the rules for his objectives and the team.
    Jack Bender (Lost) directed the 90-minute pilot from executive producers Zak Penn (Fantastic Four) and Michael Karnow. The series is slated to debut in summer 2011.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Either going to be good or really really awful IMO.

If they put the time and effort into this that they have put into shows like Eureka and Warehouse 13, then it could be very good.
    I think many shows are trying to hit this genre correctly, but IMO Heroes got the closest and then lost the run of themselves.
    No Ordinary Family had a lot of promise before it aired, but I think poor plots, poor progression and a poor cast (not you Autumn Reeser you big legend) has been the failing of this show.

I'll tune in, but not going to hold my breath!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ NOF has picked up alot in the last four eps. OisinT...what i'm personally looking forward to on Sy-Fy is "Three Inches", it's a "Mystery Men" type show....our main protagonist can moves objects with his mind, but only by 3 inches :-)

The premise sounds really funny, Google to find more info.

^ NOF has picked up alot in the last four eps. OisinT...what i'm personally looking forward to on Sy-Fy is "Three Inches", it's a "Mystery Men" type show....our main protagonist can moves objects with his mind, but only by 3 inches :-)

The premise sounds really funny, Google to find more info.
    lol I'll have to take a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,919 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Syfy-2011-Schedule-1030998.aspx

Syfy network has unveiled its jam-packed 2011 lineup, which includes the premiere of the scripted ensemble drama Alphas.
    The show, premiering in July, follows a team of ordinary citizens with extraordinary abilities.

• Advertisement

First promo vid, you don't see much tbh.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/03/alphas-first-look-promo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Why not just bring back Heroes with a new cast!!

New promo, i'm really not convinced by this show at all: http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/05/alphas-season-1-new-promo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 85,919 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Full trailer, honestly i think it looks crap!....it has no budget so tries to do powers and effects on the cheap, pass: http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/05/alphas-full-trailer.html

• Advertisement

yikes. I'll give it a go, but not getting my hopes up.

BTW premier date is 11th July (Monday)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,493 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Starts tonight.... going in with low expectations and hope to be surprised. :)

Same here, low expectations but will grudgingly check it out. My dance card is full tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

David Strathairn is quality, his name alone will have me checking this out

But I don't expect much from the series, I'll give it a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Sarn

I thought it was a reasonably good first episode. The characters and their interaction seems more natural than other high gloss shows. The psychological flaws associated with their abilities is a nice little touch, bringing them down a notch rather then being totally super.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,493 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    Starts tonight.... going in with low expectations and hope to be surprised. :)

Well consider me well and truly surprised! I actually liked it..... Perfect summer fare - more of the same, please.

It was actually pretty good, but did anyone notice the pretty obvious Nokia product placement, when the guy who can see elctromagnetic frequencies mentions that Nokia is the only one he can't see.

Certainly not as bad as I expected.

Just finished watching it....pretty solid stuff, it's Heroes 2.0....sorta. Did anyone note the "ghost" story was almost identical to an episode of Fringe in season 3?, as in a hyper OCD who plans things down to the finest detail?, also...they've setup that the Alphas are on the wrong team, ergo the government using them for nefarious reasons etc.

Will we see them go rogue at some stage?, they seem to be also setting up Hicks and Nina for a possible romance, me thinks Rachel might start crushing on Hicks also

That kid, Rain Man 2.0.....he's an excellent driver, apparently. Nothing groundbreaking and nothing hugely original, but as stated the interactions between our Heroes is low key and rather natural, i mean...you had Nina doing her nails and reading celeb magazines while briefings are going on.

It was pretty decent though, very watchable stuff...but it all depends on the writing, it needs to remain strong, i suspect we'll see mission of the week mixed with a larger story arc, more alphas on the way, they'll find out there are being used for evil means etc., go it alone and be hunted by the government....sound familiar?

It think it benefited alot for being a 90 min premiere, er...um, 63 mins actually minus adds, solid premiere ratings. I'll stick with it for now....Nina is HOT AS HELL!, reminds me alot Alana De la Garza.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/07/12/alphas-is-syfys-most-watched-debut-in-two-years-eureka-warehouse-13-premiere-ratings/97819/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Liked the pilot. It seems like it'll be X-men the tv show, but that is not a bad thing really. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up the quality for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Watched the pilot and was a little underwelmed. As someone else has already mentioned it's a carbon copy of hero's only a tighter budget. It's syfy so it'll probably get the chop at the end of season one ;)

LoGiE wrote: »
    Watched the pilot and was a little underwelmed. As someone else has already mentioned it's a carbon copy of hero's only a tighter budget. It's syfy so it'll probably get the chop at the end of season one ;)
    Agreed. I wasn't super impressed, but it has way more potential than Heroes.

I'll watch it, who am I kidding :o

Agreed. I wasn't super impressed, but it has way more potential than Heroes.

I'll watch it, who am I kidding :o

Gluttens for punishment, we know shows we watch are gonna get axed, but we still watch....and then moan when they get canned :o:(:)

Casting news, she was great on No Ordinary Family!

Rebecca Mader is hanging with no ordinary people again, a JAG alum is engaging in Covert Affairs, and a buzzy ABC Family series is “stepping up” its game. Here now, the scoops!

On an upcoming episode of Syfy’s Alphas — which this past Monday gave the cabler its most-watched series debut in two years,with 2.5 million viewers — Lost/No Ordinary Family alum Mader will play “a mysterious Alpha,” a rep for the show cagily tells me. Mader’s airdate is under wraps as well, but I can tell you this: She appears within the first 10, and her character’s ability has to be seen to be believed.

^ ooh!...'citing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just watched there , felt it was good but not great.

Good enough to keep watching but found it to be too long over the hour .

Actually looking forward to tonight!....i'm crushing on Rachel and drooling at Nina's HOTNESS!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I still can't figure out how nokia could be "using a different network protocol" to connect to the same GSM / CDMA network as other phones!?!??!

His character got REALLY annoying within the first 15mins ; The writers need to go watch Cube.
    It was actually pretty good, but did anyone notice the pretty obvious Nokia product placement, when the guy who can see elctromagnetic frequencies mentions that Nokia is the only one he can't see.

Certainly not as bad as I expected.

I didn't like the second episode as much, they changed things from the pilot....the cinematography changed alot, it's weird....shakycam, also very little to no character development with our scooby gang. Blatant "moment" with Nina and Hicks.

Not as good as the pilot, just felt too different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I liked it,thought it was really good how they did Marcus' ability,especually the coin with the bullet in it at the end. It's setting it up for the government vs alphas type situation and what side Dr. Rosen's Alpha's will take.

Also there was character development for Dr.Rosen,this was his episode,I'm sure we'll get more development from other characters as the episodes go on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Not as good as the pilot, just felt too different.
    I thought in general it felt a little better, I thought the pilot had a bit too much of a Warehouse 13/Eureka vibe to it. The second ep felt a little edgier and meatier, a bit more adult orientated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I agree, I enjoyed the second episode more than I did the pilot. Marcus' ability was an interesting one, his potential villainy and the way his power integrates with his paranoid tendencies is a little more subtle than the usual stereotype (see Heroes: Sylar).

We're very much being set up for an Us v Them storyline, but that much was obvious from the beginning. Also, not feeling the chemistry between Nina and Hicks. Feels a bit forced. Just because you have two supa-powahed hotties sharing an office building doesn't necessarily mean they have to get it ooonnn!

Advertisement