Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just got my best ever views. :D A Female
    One came to nut feeder, but got spooked by daughter as she turned in a hurry, but then it flew to nearest oak tree and investigated any dead branches. Great dexterity, with it being up side down along the branches, as good as a Treecreeper.

She came back :D
    54B557D09DC44537893AECC2C404A9D1-0000317152-0002310721-00800L-AC667DFE496D40E6B076BD8ADBE16915.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Into Everything

There was one in Cabinteely Park in South Dublin a while back. I haven't been able to go back over the last month to see if it is still there and there has been no reports on irishbirding.com. But I did get this picture.

[IMG][/img]5550175823_5d35894e77.jpg Great Spotted Woodpecker by Wexford Wildlife, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Fantastic photo's, you guys are sooooo lucky. I've heard them a few times in Phoenix Park but never saw them...I'll keep trying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I was told, by a very reliable source, that there have been sightings in the grounds of the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham. They appear to be spreading in suburban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Fantastic picture Into Everything...keep up the good work. I walk in Cabinteely park quite a bit, and never saw a GSW there. I did see BWI there a few times a few months ago looking for one, and they said there was one or two..that was 'Feb last.

I was going to ask what a SWP is ;), but you got in some swift editing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

Around 50 pair now and spreading inland. some good news for a change :D
    http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=wKpbxYJp0I8%3d&tabid=1202

There have a been a few threads on Great Spotted Woodpeckers during past 3 years or so, and now that breeding pairs of GSW outnumber the threads, I've merged them all....5 in all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There is the possibility of a Limerick sighting as well. A good friend of mine is confident of having seen one in a wooded location right on the city/county boundary. His birding (and all round nature) knowledge is very good, and he is the type that generally won't mention a bird sighting unless he is very confident in what he saw.

He is trying to see if he can get a picture, but the wooded area is pretty much infested with drinking gangs and far worse most of the time. Not exactly a spot for nice cameras, and it is made worse by a lack of entrances/exits, so not exactly the safest spot at times for him to go to. Have gone in and around there a few times with him and I can see exactly where he is coming from with regards to safety.

On the plus side there are some herons that nest and roost in there as well as a pair of sprawks that he has kept an eye on for some time. Better yet there are red squirrels knocking about there and no sign of greys. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

hmmm, a friend of mine down in Limerick thought he had one in his area as well. He wouldn't be big into nature, and with all the sightings in the east I pretty much discounted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

It is all good news anyway, they seem to have settled in
    really well with all the reports of nesting and pairs that have
    been seen. Really looking forward to catching sight of one
    nearby soon! Saw a glimpse of one in Wales last year
    but would be excellent to see one here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

whyulittle wrote: »
    hmmm, a friend of mine down in Limerick thought he had one in his area as well. He wouldn't be big into nature, and with all the sightings in the east I pretty much discounted it.

As far as I know there is a sighting in Kerry as well that is awaiting official confirmation.

Advertisement