Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Mothman's other GSW from 2005:)
    2imbd44.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Was that a Juvenile GSW in 2005? (i.e. the red cap?) If so it looks like they were already breeding here then so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Yes and it was early September which was probably too early for a immigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

I spotted on beside the ordinance survey in the Phoenix Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I spotted on beside the ordinance survey in the Phoenix Park.

I don't want to dismiss your sighting but could that have been a jay? I was misled by one in the Park a few years back...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

I am sure. I ws with an expert who has been chasing them for years, same guy that showed me the Snowy Owl in Belmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I don't want to dismiss your sighting but could that have been a jay? I was misled by one in the Park a few years back...:o

Reports on the Irish Birding site of Woodpeckers at Pheonix park are almost daily lately.

I better get meself back up to the Park again ;)!!

Thanks folks, for the clarifications.

Well, I'm just back from the Park and I had a very nice sighting of the great spotted woodpecker! watched it for the best part of five minutes.

Also saw a buzzard, sparrowhawk and quite a few jays, as well as the usual song and garden birds. What a great resource the city has!!

Well, I'm just back from the Park and I had a very nice sighting of the great spotted woodpecker! watched it for the best part of five minutes.

Also saw a buzzard, sparrowhawk and quite a few jays, as well as the usual song and garden birds. What a great resource the city has!!
    Many days you loose, but days like this more than make up!
    Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Great stuff - and you didn't even visit the zoo;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Hi Smartypantsdig,
    Well done on the sights! Whenit's good, it's GOOD :D. PS: Which park can i ask did you spot the GSW?? (Great Spotted Woodpecker)

The Phoenix Park. I spotted one up by the OSI buildings and may have seen another one near the Chapelizod gates. The buzzard was down here as well, perched in a chestnut tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Into Everything

One spotted in Cabinteely Park, Dublin 18 today. Stuck in Wexford and won't make it up until after Christmas. Typical

One spotted in Cabinteely Park, Dublin 18 today. Stuck in Wexford and won't make it up until after Christmas. Typical
    Hi Into Everything,
    Cabinteely Park is a 'stones throw' away from me. I'v NEVER though you'd see a GSW there...(or was it the buzzard you meant'?) of all places...Which part: Like, near the park house at the top, or near the football pitches?? You NEED your camera and binos ALWAYS.;)

Follow this link http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/29134/Great_Spotted_Woodpecker.html Not to familiar with the layout of the park

Follow this link http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/29134/Great_Spotted_Woodpecker.html Not to familiar with the layout of the park
    Ok, Thanks for that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

great to here that these birds are spreading spreading rapidly across the country .

Do people think this sudden colonisation in so many places is unusual? I suspect but have no information that some of these birds must have been released by people rather than spreading naturally.

A case of guerilla reintroduction perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

While a search on " Great Spotted Woodpecker " brought up a good few threads related to or mentioning them, I think this is the biggest one, on post count?

So, I thought I'd mention here that I've now provided information about nest boxes for GSW.

Please check post # 36. Nest Boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Saw one up near Kilmashogue a while back. They are spreading well.

• Advertisement

Heard drumming while in garden :)

Probably about 400m away in the neighbouring estate. The wind carried the sound. I went in search but the drumming had stopped. First time to hear drumming in ireland. :D

I saw and heard one in Cabinteely park last weekend. Amazing sound.

Hi, I go to Cabinteely park a bit - where exactly did you hear the sound? I know BWI were there last autumn doing some research or something similar. Great Spotted Woodpeckers i mean. I might know the particular area you heard the sound. Cheers!

PM sent

While milking the woodpecker was drumming away, so I thought, I must go and try view it. Its about 400m away.

So finished up milking as quick as possible and ran out......no drumming:(

I'll have another listen now

EDIT...nothing...will need to go before milking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

didn't know ya can milk woodpecker :pac:

mgwhelan wrote: »
    didn't know ya can milk woodpecker :pac:
    Well you learn something new everyday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Off topic, I know, but was in Berlin last weekend and saw two Gt Spotted Woodpeckers. One was in a big city park (Treptower Park) which is fair enough, but the other was in a very small space, barely 70m x 70m, with hardly more than 50 large mature trees, surrounded by city. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I went looking for them 2 weeks ago in County Down. All I saw were two nest holes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I got word that GSW have been seen in Lucan Demense. Will be heading out there as soon as I am mobile again... the curse of the slipped disc is upon me once more :mad:.

Meanwhile, if any nice person here can confirm this news I would be very grateful :).

Advertisement