Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Nope, they very recently lost the contract and it has been moved to IBM.

IBM have yet to takeover the operation, and will not do so until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Nope, they very recently lost the contract and it has been moved to IBM.

Not yet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Are people getting paid into their accounts because my money is usually in like clockwork on a Wednesday night (Thursday morning if you want to knit-pick, which you probably would) after twelve. Yet my 365 account is showing nothing..

I better get paid or I will scream.

Resi12 wrote: »
    Are people getting paid into their accounts because my money is usually in like clockwork on a Wednesday night (Thursday morning if you want to knit-pick, which you probably would) after twelve. Yet my 365 account is showing nothing..

I better get paid or I will scream.

Just checked mine and there's nothing there either so your not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Jakob

Just checked mine and there's nothing there either so your not alone.

+ 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

This isn't looking good. If they can't get the money into the system but can churn out unlimited amounts of money I will not be happy. I'll have to resort to overdrawing! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

im overseas and cant get cash from my boi acc
    is this still not fixed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 anonwondering

thank god i am not the only one - nearly got heart failure this morning when i checkedmy account and saw no money there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

i have money in this acc but i cant withdraw it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

IBM have yet to takeover the operation, and will not do so until next year.

So a outsourced IT department on loss of contract has had a terminal failure of their systems. Lol, sounds like a large number of staff were not pleased with the inevitable redundancy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So a outsourced IT department on loss of contract has had a terminal failure of their systems. Lol, sounds like a large number of staff were not pleased with the inevitable redundancy.

yeah... because an IT Solutions company will ruin the service provided to their client while the contract is running out and due to be transferred...

Great way to show other potential clients how much an IT Solutions partnership with'em is worth...

yeah... because an IT Solutions company will ruin the service provided to their client while the contract is running out and due to be transferred...

Great way to show other potential clients how much an IT Solutions partnership with'em is worth...

HP as a entity no. Disgruntled workers who have been on site for a extended period and believe they will soon be made redundant. Maybe.

This has been a issue now for far too long for it to be a "simple" failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

They are not been made redundant, going to IBM afaik although I am sure they are rightly piss*d off at losing such a big contract.

They deserved to lose it anyways they were taking BOI for a ride for the last seven years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

HP as a entity no. Disgruntled workers who have been on site for a extended period and believe they will soon be made redundant. Maybe.

Very possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This has been a issue now for far too long for it to be a "simple" failure.

an employee would have as much a reason to be sure things don't get messed up by them on the way out.

would make finding other work a lot harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hmmmmm....after thinking about this for a while, surely this isn't an IT fault as such, more a fault with the banks Business continuity plan. The IT partner can't force the bank to buy the correct infrastructure. If they are unwilling they would just have to work with what they've got. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm....after thinking about this for a while, surely this isn't an IT fault as such, more a fault with the banks Business continuity plan. The IT partner can't force the bank to buy the correct infrastructure. If they are unwilling they would just have to work with what they've got. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Nothing I bet.

I'm sure the story of the wrongfully withdrawn money will over take this story.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

BANK OF Ireland (BofI) has said it won’t penalise thousands of customers who overdrew their accounts during a major computer fault this week.

The bank said it would refund fees and allow an interest-free period for repayment of the overdrawn amount to customers who “inadvertently” withdrew more than was in their accounts.

“A small minority” of the bank’s 1.2 million customers took advantage of the malfunction of ATMs on Tuesday evening by overdrawing their accounts, it said.

The bank said its ATMs were working normally again yesterday after serious technical difficulties the previous day. However, problems were still being experienced with online banking, where only intermittent service was available.

Long queues formed at many of the bank’s machines on Tuesday evening as word spread that it was possible to overdraw accounts. Meanwhile, customers whose accounts were in funds experienced difficulties withdrawing all the cash they wanted.

The story continued to make news in worldwide media, with the New York Times likening the ATM payouts to “bank practices before the real estate crash” when 100 per cent mortgages were given to people on low incomes.

TCD law lecturer Eoin O’Dell said the bank’s route to reclaiming overpayments from customers might not be entirely straightforward. “In doing so, the bank, briefly Santa, will no doubt be cast as Scrooge.”

The bank has confirmed that its systems experienced “connectivity issues between some customer systems” due to a technical issue. This resulted in restrictions in Laser and ATM services and limited service on phone and online banking systems.

BofI sought to reassure customers that its core processing systems operated normally during the problems. It said the processing of direct debits, standing orders and international payments was not affected.

The bank added that most customers who used ATMs or bought items using Laser were accommodated. But it apologised to anyone who had a transaction declined or received less cash than they required. “We can confirm that a small minority of customers withdrew funds in excess of their available balance which has created an unauthorised overdraft position for them for which they are liable.”

A spokeswoman declined to say how many overdrew their account, or how long they would get to repay the money before having to pay interest. She said there was no significant deviation from the normal value and volume of traffic on ATMs on Tuesday.

The National Consumer Agency advised bank customers who had withdrawn money to check the terms and conditions of their account for information on interest and surcharges. If customers were not satisfied with their treatment, they could complain to the bank or, ultimately, the Financial Services Ombudsman.

Interest rates of 13.5 per cent apply to unauthorised overdrafts with BofI. The Consumers’ Association of Ireland said customers would have to repay any funds they had overdrawn but called on the bank not to impose fees and interest on these transactions.

The bank declined to put a figure on the cost of the computer error which led to the problems.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1209/1224285100772.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I wonder why they are being so compassionate about the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Because in this country we reward dishonesty and corruption?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Damage limitation and cost.

Much easier to be the nice guy, tell them that they have 3 months to pay it back interest free, rather than start hounding them and chasing them for the cash and charging penalties which they may not be able to service.

There's also the desire to avoid any legal battles about damaging the credit record of someone who hadn't been authorised to get an overdraft nor who had been notified that they were being overdrawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Hilarious reading over this thread. Posters seriously talking about emigrating to avoid paying back €500!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Hilarious reading over this thread. Posters seriously talking about emigrating to avoid paying back €500!

Keep in mind, the ATM's were not talking to each other either. So for the clever among them that's 500 per BOI ATM. In Dublin over the space of a evening you got a hell of a lot of ATM's. If you had planned on Leaving, no need to keep saving after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Keep in mind, the ATM's were not talking to each other either. So for the clever among them that's 500 per BOI ATM. In Dublin over the space of a evening you got a hell of a lot of ATM's. If you had planned on Leaving, no need to keep saving after that.

Well, why didn't you tell us that the other night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Yeah right!

I thought it was pretty common knowledge. I also wondered why there were long queues outside some machines in certain areas. I suppose the lazy are predominantly lazy when it comes to stealing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Think it was mentioned a couple of times, but deleted for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The ATM's don't need to talk to each other, they communicate back to a system in the head-end. Only part of the database system, which ultimately dealt with the customer account balance, lost connectivity. Everything else remained up - if an ATM completely loses connectivity, it goes into out of order mode and won't perform any transactions for any customer, regardless of their bank.

Everyone has an "offline" balance in the event parts of the system go down. This amount could be anything, may be completely different to someone else's amount and can change at any time. You wouldn't be able to go trekking across the city clearing out ATMs indefinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Paparazzo wrote: »

One of the lads in work was telling me about his mate who is not the sharpest tool in the box. Anyway, he withdrew the money from the ATM with his hood up, thinking he wouldnt be recognised and then reported the card as lost a few hours afterwards thinking he would get away without having to pay it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

COYW wrote: »
    One of the lads in work was telling me about his mate who is not the sharpest tool in the box. Anyway, he withdrew the money from the ATM with his hood up, thinking he wouldnt be recognised and then reported the card as lost a few hours afterwards thinking he would get away without having to pay it back.

It was you wasn't it;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement