Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myers is trolling the teachers again

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sonnett

Kevin Myers is opionated and deliberately provocative. that does not mean he is in accurate.

The teachers in this country, both primary and secondary have held this country to ransom for far too long. They are doing a part-time job for a very generous full time salary with great benefits, i.e. permament and pensionable.

Furthermore the vast majority of teachers in this country are lazy and incompetent, a quick scan of the messages on this site and others is testimony to the appalling standards of literacy in this country. The only reason for so many people's appalling grammar and spelling indicates that the teachers of Ireland either cannot teach basic literacy or that they do not understand the principles of grammar themselves. Either way it makes them incompetent.

My step-daughter who is in her junior cert year has school for 29 weeks out of 52 this year. Her school shuts for a half day once a week. Notwithstanding this (and the early closing every day) the teachers in her school give themselves another day/half day once a month for "staff training" which is a practice common to most schools in this country. The teachers are constantly bleating at us that even though the children have left the school grounds they are still "working". If this is the case why on earth can't they have their meetings after the children have left.

The current debate over schools closing during the snow is just more of the same. i agree that there may be some rural schools which have to close due to school busses not running. There is no reason why schools in urban areas should be shut, most children can walk to school anyway. The shopping centres were full of children queuing up for Santa at the weekend, if they can see Santa they can attend school.

It is my experience that teachers in Ireland will avoid work at the drop of a hat and this is the real reason why most schools are shut at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Japer wrote: »
    I have seen the likes of Michael O'Leary checking in tickets on people boarding an aeroplane. I have seen pictures of Bill Cullen shovelling snow from outside his renault garage in the mornings. But ask a public servant to do anything not strictly in their limited job description ? No wonder the country is in the mess its in.

Did you get out and shovel the snow from in front of your job? Did you fück! Bill Cullen was shovelling snow because it was that or hire someone to do it. He was saving the money. The country is in the mess it is in because of financial criminality so lose the "no wonder the country is in the mess it's in" crap. That's gobsh1te talk.
    Oh so for the 10 or 15 years that the country was booming, everyone was shovelling snow or picking up litter or going above and beyond the call of duty. And one day they just stopped and now the country is in the condition it's in because teachers stopped shovelling snow and gardai stopped picking up the odd scrap of litter.
    The bullsh1t just gets deeper and deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

last post:

it's a disgrace that one entire sector of this country's working body can shut up shop on the back of feeble excuses and the rest of us who in many cases depend on them have to just shut up.

teachers should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

last post:

it's a disgrace that one entire sector of this country's working body can shut up shop on the back of feeble excuses and the rest of us who in many cases depend on them have to just shut up.

while the other part of it are taking their half day on the tax payers dime to go xmas shopping!

what a country!! what a playah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

storm2811 wrote: »
    If a principal decides to close a school then it's closed, end of, not much the teachers can do.
    Also with country schools like mine about 70% of the students don't live in the town and when the back roads are icy, as they are now, the bus drivers won't drive on them and what's the point going to work when there's no children to teach?

Of course the same kind of logic and simplicity would never apply if the principal were to decide to keep the school open for an additional week or fortnight at the end of term, to catch up on a lost teaching time and to get the curriculum covered for that particular academic year...

EDIT: And let's not forget that full-time teachers aer paid 52 weeks of the year, regardless of where they are or what they are doing, so that two week "extra teaching time" is being paid for anyway, what I'm trying to say is that there is no overtime required for it, although in this country it wouldn't surprise me if there were demands made for overtime and it ended up getting paid for the sake of peace and quiet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

last post:

The online equivalent of calling someone's Dad fat whilst running away fast. You amuse me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

you're posts have been full of barely contained abuse. this was never a private/public sector argument or did you forget to read the OP? if you dont know what we're discussing in here, which is the one and only sector in the country to experience massive and widespread closures - simply go away. have you contributed anything at all except s'hite?

look - it's working hours for most who are posting in here including yourself as you admited. now give everyone the same benefit you give yourself and assume we are getting our work done while posting FROM WORK - not from home as many teachers posting on here are today.

It only smacks of abuse because it would appear that I'm striking a nerve by exposing the plethora of hypocritical contradictions in your and Japer's rants. And this is AH, ranting is allowed. As for this never being a private/public sector argument...you're right, it never was until you and Japer dragged the public/private schism into the damn debate in the first place.
    I'm really getting sick of your hypocrisy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That's enough of that.
    Damn you Myers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement