Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Josh McDaniels fired

Options
  • 07-12-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭

Its official, Josh McD has been sacked by the Pat Bowlen.

Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen has relieved Josh McDaniels of his head coaching duties. Details to follow on DenverBroncos.com.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

@AdamSchefter: Broncos paying three head coaches in 2011 -- Mike Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, and the new HC. McDaniels and new HC to be paid in 2012.

Shows how unhappy they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He'll get an OC job soon enough

Baltimore could do with a new OC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Thank god, happiest i've been with the broncos in weeks!

and if he goes to baltimore as OC with flacco and those receivers... Superbowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Minnesota either with the new regime. I'm sure he'd love a new QB to play around with. Either a risky trade up for Cam Newton somewhere, or try and tame Ryan Mallett.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

No surprises there McDaniels showed in NE he was a great OC but the challenge of being a head coach at such a young age proved too much for him. A series of bad decisions left the Broncos with no choice really, it will be very interesting to see how his two draft classes develop in the future but they arent too promising at this stage. You'd have to wonder where this leaves Tebow.

As to the Baltimore posts are they unhappy with Cam Cameron?

• Advertisement

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Minnesota either with the new regime. I'm sure he'd love a new QB to play around with. Either a risky trade up for Cam Newton somewhere, or try and tame Ryan Mallett.

Jasus id love to see him land there and give a rake of picks away to us for orton or something... not that i have anything against orton, but we could make a nice bomb off trading him to a team with a qb need with tebow in waiting seeing as the d could use a few high round picks...

spiralism wrote: »
    Jasus id love to see him land there and give a rake of picks away to us for orton or something... not that i have anything against orton, but we could make a nice bomb off trading him to a team with a qb need with tebow in waiting seeing as the d could use a few high round picks...

I'm sure if he does land in Minnesota, there'll be a stipulation in his contract in the largest font possible "Mr. McDaniels will have no input whatsoever into the acquisition and departure of personnel". :pac: At the end of the day, he let Jay Cutler, Peyton Hillis and Brandon Marshall leave Denver in his short time there. That's a huge amount of talent to let go.

frostie500 wrote: »

Extremely
    I reckon he'll be gone this off season

First article on the Ravens site is John Harbaugh being unhappy with the offense.
    And Derrick Mason went on a bit of an eloquent rant last night after the loss, saying the offense simply was not good enough but everyone took responsibility

However, that Hillis deal was a shocker, he won't have that much control anymore.

This realy leaves Tim Tebow in the lurch, the next Head Coach might never play him or ship him off

No surprises there McDaniels showed in NE he was a great OC but the challenge of being a head coach at such a young age proved too much for him. A series of bad decisions left the Broncos with no choice really, it will be very interesting to see how his two draft classes develop in the future but they arent too promising at this stage. You'd have to wonder where this leaves Tebow.

Beg to differ, his 10 draft was good tbf and the 2 highest picks in 09 have worked out well(though the rest of that draft was a shambles):

09: Moreno -Looking good now
    Ayers- Hugely underrated lb, excellent vs. the run

10:
    Tebow: Tebow... well there's an enigma and a half, though the potential is crazy
    DT: While he's been no Dez, he's not been half bad
    Beadles: Starting LG
    JD Walton: Starting C
    Eric Decker: looked great in limited play time, nice long catch against the chiefs
    Perrish Cox: has performed well opposite champ with no pass rush whatsoever
    Syd'quan thompson: Looks dead solid in the nickel

Extremely
    I reckon he'll be gone this off season

First article on the Ravens site is John Harbaugh being unhappy with the offense.
    And Derrick Mason went on a bit of an eloquent rant last night after the loss, saying the offense simply was not good enough but everyone took responsibility

Didnt hear anything about that, havent got round to watching all of last nights game yet. I know the Ravens still lead by their defence but I thought the play of Flacco and their rishing game would have been enough to satisfy the team of Cameron's ability to develop the offence. I suppose though that with players like Mason and Bolden and Housh they would have expected a better passing game.
    However, that Hillis deal was a shocker, he won't have that much control anymore.

This realy leaves Tim Tebow in the lurch, the next Head Coach might never play him or ship him off

The trades will be long remembered with Hillis coming back to bite him. At least they got Orton and picks for Cutler. Overall his player evaluation was terrible, whether it was assessing what talent he had available on his roster(Hillis etc) or the draft McDaniels was out of his depth at this point in his career.

Draft wise the selections of Alphonso Smith (and trading him away for next to nothing after a year) and Tim Tebow's pick this year showed his lack of nous in the draft process.

• Advertisement

I'm sure if he does land in Minnesota, there'll be a stipulation in his contract in the largest font possible "Mr. McDaniels will have no input whatsoever into the acquisition and departure of personnel". :pac: At the end of the day, he let Jay Cutler, Peyton Hillis and Brandon Marshall leave Denver in his short time there. That's a huge amount of talent to let go.

I could care less about cutler and marshall, cutler left in acrimonious circumstances at any rate and took a few parting shots at the team/fans so i'll never have a great opinion of the lad... im not sold on him winning on a team that carried rex grossman to a superbowl either tbh and our qb situation is far from terrible as things stand

as for marshall, hes done fcuk all since going really and our wr corps has actually hugely improved with lloyd in particular having a great year

Hillis is one that grates though, we should never have got rid of him, or Tony Scheffler for that matter (now that we have no pass catching TE really... hes not even needed in Detroit cause they have pettigrew ffs)

Beg to differ, his 10 draft was good tbf and the 2 highest picks in 09 have worked out well(though the rest of that draft was a shambles):

10:
    Tebow: Tebow... well there's an enigma and a half, though the potential is crazy
    Eric Decker: looked great in limited play time, nice long catch against the chiefs

I'm a fan of Moreno and said all the way through the draft that Decker was a vastly underratted reviever but for the cost of getting players like Tebow and Smith showed that his draft skills left a lot to be desired. Thats more the point I was looking to get across

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fingers cross Broncos will hire Norv turner and chargers will hire McDaniels. :pac:

I'm a fan of Moreno and said all the way through the draft that Decker was a vastly underratted reviever but for the cost of getting players like Tebow and Smith showed that his draft skills left a lot to be desired. Thats more the point I was looking to get across

trade for smith, and his subsequent trade were stupid moves, i agree. Richard Quinn was the worst though, few picks traded away for a f'n blocking tight end, was mcdaniels actually for real there like...

As for Tebow... yeah he gave up a lot for him, but the jury is very much out on him for a while yet and he's at least been a huge asset in the redzone

basically my wishlist for coach next year:

1. Gruden
    2. Fisher (assuming he gets binned)
    3. Jim Harbaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldn't touch Gruden with a barge poll.

Harbaugh is signing a new contract at Stanford, so he's going nowhere. Gruden's son also said recently that his father wants him to finish high school before they move, and dropped hints that he could be headed to San Francisco or Cleveland in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

I could care less about cutler and marshall, cutler left in acrimonious circumstances at any rate and took a few parting shots at the team/fans so i'll never have a great opinion of the lad... im not sold on him winning on a team that carried rex grossman to a superbowl either tbh and our qb situation is far from terrible as things stand

as for marshall, hes done fcuk all since going really and our wr corps has actually hugely improved with lloyd in particular having a great year

Hillis is one that grates though, we should never have got rid of him, or Tony Scheffler for that matter (now that we have no pass catching TE really... hes not even needed in Detroit cause they have pettigrew ffs)

Listen i think a lot of people on this board think that Cutler is a total punk but his completion rate in last 4 games is well into 70s percentage wise and low interceptions behind an awful O-Line...he has ability that Rex Grossman has never had ...and thats just a fact ...his play was stellar in 2008 ....and McDaniels picked up the phone to Pioli about Cassel to start all this carry-on ....imagine doing that to after that 2008 season ...nuts

Cutler didnt handle it nicely either but that was finish of it not the start

as for Cutler i think he may have last laugh ...they have soft schedule and remind me of Giants in 07 ...under the radar and with tha defense it is making it easier for a QB

Harbaugh is signing a new contract at Stanford, so he's going nowhere. Gruden's son also said recently that his father wants him to finish high school before they move, and dropped hints that he could be headed to San Francisco or Cleveland in 2012.

I wouldnt mind what Gruden says ....no-one takes thise comments seriously

trade for smith, and his subsequent trade were stupid moves, i agree. Richard Quinn was the worst though, few picks traded away for a f'n blocking tight end, was mcdaniels actually for real there like...

As for Tebow... yeah he gave up a lot for him, but the jury is very much out on him for a while yet and he's at least been a huge asset in the redzone

basically my wishlist for coach next year:

1. Gruden
    2. Fisher (assuming he gets binned)
    3. Jim Harbaugh

I'd forgotten about that Quinn pick. In relation to Tebow he could be great could be terrible but as of right now you have to view it that the pick was a mistake by McDaniels. There is no honeymoon period for coaches any longer, they need to win straight away and by trading back into the first round to take a development prospect he gave ample amunition to his detractors.

I think that Gruden would be a great choice, and he would love to work with Tebow.

I wouldn't touch Gruden with a barge poll.

A man that made Raider relevant again

And won a ring with Tampa

Gruden is brash but he can get it done

• Advertisement

neilster wrote: »
    Listen i think a lot of people on this board think that Cutler is a total punk but his completion rate in last 4 games is well into 70s percentage wise and low interceptions behind an awful O-Line...he has ability that Rex Grossman has never had ...and thats just a fact ...his play was stellar in 2008 ....and McDaniels picked up the phone to Pioli about Cassel to start all this carry-on ....imagine doing that to after that 2008 season ...nuts

Cutler didnt handle it nicely either but that was finish of it not the start

as for Cutler i think he may have last laugh ...they have soft schedule and remind me of Giants in 07 ...under the radar and with tha defense it is making it easier for a QB

Trust me on this, it wasn't really, he cost us a ton of games as well as winning us a few and had almost as many picks as TDs... hochuli bowl was one he got credit for but blew on a woeful call... his well publicised spat with Rivers made us look like awful eejit at the end of the season too

mcdaniels took a call from pioli and listened to an offer, not the other way around... sort of thing happens in the nfl

Gruden is getting linked to jobs all over the place. Not suprising of course.

But he has a contract with EPSN so unless there is some release clause, that is even more compensation for the Bronco's to pay out

Having said that, Tampa Bay shelled out huge compensation and it worked out

From last week
    Jon Gruden apologized Thursday for widespread speculation about his candidacy to be Miami's next football coach, and said he's willing to help the Hurricanes find the right person for the job.

The former Super Bowl-winning coach and current ESPN analyst reiterated his commitment to "Monday Night Football" for the second time this week, and the network repeated that it expects Gruden to at least complete his contract, which runs through 2011.

Gruden had talks with Miami throughout the week about replacing fired coach Randy Shannon, and a person familiar with the talks told The Associated Press on Sunday that Gruden was presented with "parameters" of a contract within 24 hours of Shannon's dismissal. Gruden met face-to-face with Hurricanes athletic director Kirby Hocutt on Wednesday.

"I'd just like to say I'm committed to ESPN," Gruden said on a conference call. "There's not a lot to add. I'm very thankful to have the job that I have and I'm eager to try to get better at it. And I know there was a lot of speculation over the last few days, and for that, I'm sorry. I'm just excited to be with 'Monday Night Football.'"

Not only is Gruden under contract to ESPN through 2011, his contract with the Buccaneers — which paid an estimated $5 million annually, far more than Miami has ever paid a football coach — stretches through the end of that season as well.

And that's a college job, not even NFL

Harbaugh hasn't signed yet and a big vacancy opening up might stall his hand a second, he's only being offered the contract

as for Gruden, wouldnt take those comments very seriously, a lot can change and a high profile job with his favourite QB in the wings might interest him..

Whereas Fisher could well be available too

I kinda get the feeling that Bowlen won't want anything like this fiasco ever to happen again so he might look to a high profile proven coach or at least a hot commodity like Harbaugh

I mentioned before that a coaching change in Denver and $5m roster bonus in the 10th day of season 2011 (late March) will decide a lot for Tebow

I dont know if Bowlen or Brian Xander really know what they have in Tebow ...i would say a heavyweight coach like a Gruden will go with Orton and build up the team on defense and also the run offense through the draft much like Spagnolo did

very interesting but a coach wont stick his neck out for Tebow, wasnt his draft pick ...will evaluate him against the money involved and may see what picks could be got for him

Brian Billick is out there too

I believe his compensation from the Ravens ends this year. I definitely see him in a job soon

Maybe not the Broncos but more possibly the Panthers
    A consideration anyway

I mentioned before that a coaching change in Denver and $5m roster bonus in the 10th day of season 2011 (late March) will decide a lot for Tebow

I dont know if Bowlen or Brian Xander really know what they have in Tebow ...i would say a heavyweight coach like a Gruden will go with Orton and build up the team on defense and also the run offense through the draft much like Spagnolo did

very interesting but a coach wont stick his neck out for Tebow, wasnt his draft pick ...will evaluate him against the money involved and may see what picks could be got for him

Gruden will go Tebow if he gets the job, guaranteed... he raved about the fella non stop in the draft build up and gets on well with him on a personal basis...

Also, the feeling among broncos fans is that (quite unfairly i may add), Orton is being made scapegoat for our shortcomings this year (along with mcdaniels obviously)

10:

Overall there are some good picks in there but it is the headline moves that lose you your job as they involve the big money and the high value picks

-He alienated his franchise QB cutler by trying to trade him ... a first roundpick out of Vanderbilt

- He picked Tebow at all or at the very least picked him 2 rounds too high

Remember the Colts have used a pick on Saffold at that level in draft ....thats a starting left tackle

- He obviously didnt like Marshall( he is a diva but arent they all) and had him run out of town

-the Hillis moves along with Scheffler

McDaniels nneeded a good GM alongside him but he still acted the punk

Remember the Colts have used a pick on Saffold at that level in draft ....thats a starting left tackle

sorry meant Rams

Orton is being made scapegoat for our shortcomings this year

:confused:
    Orton is doing fine, in fact far better then fine. (I'm agreeing with you here)

The problems from the Broncos aren't on Orton

Dumbervil was a loss for example

But then I suppose the QB often gets the blame when things go badly
    I for one never liked the win loss record attached to a QB but that's going offtopic

• Advertisement

Gruden will go Tebow if he gets the job, guaranteed... he raved about the fella non stop in the draft build up and gets on well with him on a personal basis...

Also, the feeling among broncos fans is that (quite unfairly i may add), Orton is being made scapegoat for our shortcomings this year (along with mcdaniels obviously)

He might go with Tebow long term but he would definitly be rolling behind Orton for at the very least his first year. Youre right about Orton being a scapegoat and I dont understand why, he has performed way better then expectation for his two seasons and looks to be a second tier QB in the NFL (not elite but more than capable of leading a team)

Advertisement