Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

David Rogers on the Radio 1 late forecast- Well theres a range of hazards both tonight and tomorrow.Rain /sleet Snow in the North/West tomorrow morning,and in the East for the rest of the day.The South should remain dry.Where is does fall as rain it will freeze on impact.Freezing fog is covering alot of inland areas,however it is much clearer around our coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

irish1967 wrote: »

iceland?will that work on ice?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

Id say sleet or wet snow in Sligo town so its just a case of the Arctic Gods saying lets see just how much we can mess up the Irish roads.

Incidently our back garden rocks have started rising up out of the ground due to the amount of frost and expanding moisture thats freezing underneath!

Back roads are going to be full of Potholes yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Hi sorry for the repetitive question, but is Dublin cc/north expected to see any snow this week that will cancel schools? :p thanks

• Advertisement

You know I get the feeling just by the lack of activity on here that a lot of people are unaware what is ahead tomorrow.
    I can safely be said that all but the southwest will see some sort of precipitation tomorrow and rain or ice it doesn't matter it's going to cause chaos. Whatever hits the ground is going to freeze solid. Roads that appear clear after rain will be covered in sheet ice maybe 1-2cm thick.
    I think people are focusing too much on snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You know I get the feeling just by the lack of activity on here that a lot of people are unaware what is ahead tomorrow.
    I can safely be said that all but the southwest will see some sort of precipitation tomorrow and rain or ice it doesn't matter it's going to cause chaos. Whatever hits the ground is going to freeze solid. Roads that appear clear after rain will be covered in sheet ice maybe 1-2cm thick.

Add to the freezing fog tonight, not sure what its like in the rest of the country, but its very thick in sligo town at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

We're in for a hairy few days out there, I'm torn about my travel to work.

I could take the car and risk writing off our only (vital) vehicle or I could walk/bus it and risk a broken bone.

Not a great choice eh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Fog in south mayo too but not completely opaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

_whiskers wrote: »
    Hi sorry for the repetitive question, but is Dublin cc/north expected to see any snow this week that will cancel schools? :p thanks

I see your still here whiskers ;)

Conditions in north Kilkenny,very heavy dense fog here -5 freezing.

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    I see your still here whiskers ;)

Conditions in north Kilkenny,very heavy dense fog here -5 freezing.

Yup and I'll be here a lot more if it snows or there is a lot of ice on the roads and paths! :D school should be cancelled until after the new year! :)

Off to sleep here now. I'll be up at 7 and let ye know whether I got the snow or the rain. :)

I know which I want.... Do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

In kilkenny ver very thick fog... Just checked the temp, -1...

Have an exam in college tomorrow in Carlow... have been hoping for an e mail all day to say it is postponed!.. no such luck even though I know some other students cannot make it to the exam!

foggy in carlow. -4C . Very foggy since yesterday.
    Read M.T's forecast. Carlow is South-East...so..some snow?
    I dont like ice

foggy in carlow. -4C . Very foggy since yesterday.
    Read M.T's forecast. Carlow is South-East...so..some snow?
    I dont like ice

How are the roads in Carlow?

In kilkenny ver very thick fog... Just checked the temp, -1...

Have an exam in college tomorrow in Carlow... have been hoping for an e mail all day to say it is postponed!.. no such luck even though I know some other students cannot make it to the exam!

my sister and brother are in Carlow IT, and the college is open tomorrow. Main roads are fine in carlow. But if i was a walker i would not be happy. Pedestrian footpaths and estates are just covered with ice(except town streets)

my sister and brother are in Carlow IT, and the college is open tomorrow. Main roads are fine in carlow. But if i was a walker i would not be happy. Pedestrian footpaths and estates are just covered with ice(except town streets)

Yep im in the IT too... I commute with Bus Eireann... So have to walk to the bus here in my town at 7:10am and go to carlow... But I know of others who went home at the weekend who just cannot get back to college tomorrow in time for the exam...

Thanks for update on road conditions

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Complete joke in Athlone atm. I fell yesterday on the footpath and a few hours later I got a call from Tullamore hospital saying my friend slipped and bashed his head in against a wall :(

Crazy weather up here.

Yep im in the IT too... I commute with Bus Eireann... So have to walk to the bus here in my town at 7:10am and go to carlow... But I know of others who went home at the weekend who just cannot get back to college tomorrow in time for the exam...

Thanks for update on road conditions

no probs, just make sure you wear something that has grip. Good luck with the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No fog here in Donegal, must be over a month since I seen the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

times like these i say feck college. rather not get injured. seriously if people cant get in, theres no point in risking it. i'm staying out tomorrow. tried to walk down the hill off my estate tonight and there no chance. so i'll study at home

-2 here in cork at the moment.

Foot paths are lethal!
    Was up in Dublin on Friday and most footpaths has at least an inch of compact ice. Duno how many times i almost fall over( didnt fall once tho ha!)
    But you'd expect dublin to have better walking condition than other small counties? Gratfon street was just super slushy on friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I dont know how I'm supposed to make it to college tomorrow either, I have quite a steep hill to walk down which is going to be near impossible tomorrow. I'd usually be quite happy of a day off but with only 2 weeks left I cant afford to not be getting work done.

Hopefully we get this snow we're forecast overnight but I can see it being rain around here

Harps wrote: »
    I dont know how I'm supposed to make it to college tomorrow either, I have quite a steep hill to walk down which is going to be near impossible tomorrow. I'd usually be quite happy of a day off but with only 2 weeks left I cant afford to not be getting work done.

Hopefully we get this snow we're forecast overnight but I can see it being rain around here

i'd imagine a good few people are in the same situation as you are..out of curiosity what will happen to the students that couldnt make the exams because of the weather? Its not their fault that their estate and footpaths are ice rinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 darol15

rte reckened snow in cork on tuesday but dose langes said that a few times and it never came ! what ye lot think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

carlmwan wrote: »
    it's a short lived storm with high winds and heavy precipitation. originates in arctic regions
    Mark (IWO)

In the articles quoted on thread on polar lows, it said they last 24-48 hours. What aspect of them is more dangerous: wind speeds, potential for heavy rain/snow fall or something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

i'd imagine a good few people are in the same situation as you are..out of curiosity what will happen to the students that couldnt make the exams because of the weather? Its not their fault that their estate and footpaths are ice rinks!

We had our exams last January and they were postponed twice until the weather picked up.

I'm not sure what the situation would be if you couldnt make it, they can hardly penalise someone if the roads are too dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

This front thats coming down seems to have taken a SE direction. Seems its heading more to scotland/N England. the part of that front on its west side really seems to be fizzeling out.

Whats interesting me is the activity now off the west coast of Norway.

-4 here and heavy fog, I'm so cold :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Whats all this talk of a winter storm around the 20th-21st Dec??! :eek::eek:

Please god NOOOOO!! My husband will be flying home from the ME for christmas on the 23rd, i need the airport open! :(

I for one will be praying for a rain event guys, sorry! :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement