Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the building industry will pick up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

No way our agriculture can compete with eastern europe.. Our only hope is technology/pharma and our education system isn't helping that one right now.

I totally agree. The whole tech sector is the only way forward for the country but I fear that we dont have the knowledge to support that type of economy. Serious alterations would be needed to the educational system. The sciences and mathematics in particular are extremely weak subjects at secondry level for most students.

If I worked in the building trade, I would be seriously considering a move abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I disagree this problem will sort itself out in the next 18 months as the numbers of apprentices starting a trade has decreased dramtically and it will just take a year or two to finish off those who have started the trade.

However there are major issues with the system and as someone who is finished their apprenticeship in the next 2 months i can tell you
    1. When on their training block in the ITs or FAS people on the social welfare go back onto their trade rate for eg someone in my class who hadnt worked in two years properly went from dole money to €530 euros a week for attending training thats madness when they arent contributing . And the way things are at the moment half the class was on social so most of them more than doubled their money coming training!!!
    When they're in the IT's or Fas they're not paying any prsi so probably wont be able to get back on Jobseekers benefit as they won't have enough credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think there's still money to be made in the construction industry, mainly through bricking up FF supporters in their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

When they're in the IT's or Fas they're not paying any prsi so probably wont be able to get back on Jobseekers benefit as they won't have enough credits.
    they get straight back onto whatever benefits they had before going in they sign off on training all they have to do is drop back in next week and resume it . And trades may differ in the payment of prsi or somethin iv gotten certs off fas to say my prsi is paid for the training period by them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The government could and should invest more in our public transport infrastructure. Other large construction projects such as water meter installation, high speed broadband, water infrastructure and renewable energy sources, if funded properly, would provide a boost to the people working in construction. The government does not even have to fund these projects directly, just incentivise it enough to people will be encouraged to start projects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Unfortunately this government has now gambled / tied up the pension fund. This reserve would have been seen as "rainy day money" that could have been used in short term stimulation projects to try and kick start the economy.. It has nothing left now thanks to T&C of the bailout and if we default on this you can say good bye to the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

they get straight back onto whatever benefits they had before going in they sign off on training all they have to do is drop back in next week and resume it . And trades may differ in the payment of prsi or somethin iv gotten certs off fas to say my prsi is paid for the training period by them

I remember doing phase 2 and our instructor telling us that it was a training allowance and that when we returned to work we probably wouldnt be earing enough from our employer to pay any income tax for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It will eventually pick up, but to nowhere near the inflated levels of the 'boom' years. Sure they were just building for the sake of it back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It all depends on what you consider picking up, it might get slightly better than it is now but not much better. The fact is we had gotten far too used to a massive unsustainable construction industry. With emigration and the current level of empty houses it will be many years before any significant amount of houses will need to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think there's still money to be made in the construction industry, mainly through bricking up FF supporters in their houses.

Right on.

• Advertisement

I remember doing phase 2 and our instructor telling us that it was a training allowance and that when we returned to work we probably wouldnt be earing enough from our employer to pay any income tax for the year.
    Well i get a slip from FAS after every training phase stating the amount of prsi that they will be forwarding to revenue for me , your meant to keep the slips in case you need to prove prsi was paid for that period. And income tax isnt prsi they are seperate as far as i know if your working officialy your paying prsi you need to earn a certain amount for income tax or paye

Mrmoe wrote: »
    The government could and should invest more in our public transport infrastructure. Other large construction projects such as water meter installation, high speed broadband, water infrastructure and renewable energy sources, if funded properly, would provide a boost to the people working in construction. The government does not even have to fund these projects directly, just incentivise it enough to people will be encouraged to start projects.
    good point i was recently discussing with people about a incentive to get the water meter installed quicker by people like some sort of a deducted rate to pay back the installation costs etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

He must have more work then he can handle.

It never occured to you that it might be an issue with the weather?
    Not that that makes any excuse for not calling and rescheduling.

As for when it'll pick up? Never, if you're talking about the heady days of 4-5 yrs back...those days are gone and probably won't be seen in this country for another 2 generations.
    Short of a capital spending programme on public buildings, schools, hospitals, nursing homes (with what capital?) nothing is going to influence the building trade out of this slump. Things will pick up gradually, mainly with people building extensions, renovation work and general maintenance.
    Being able to rely on trades work as a Mon-Fri 9-5 is a long way off just yet.

There is a slim chance that certain estates and builds under NAMA control will be finished in order to sell the property...although I doubt there's too many contractors and more importantly sub contractors willing to take the risk of not getting paid again.

The supply of houses is more than enough to meet current levels of demand and bank lending.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

FF and Proud, Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wertz wrote: »
    It never occured to you that it might be an issue with the weather?
    Not that that makes any excuse for not calling and rescheduling.

No, more to do with setting appointments and never showing up or not calling.
    Of course I accept the roads were bad, who could possibly overlook that. So yes, it did occur to me

If you agree a time it's common courtesy to call if you can't make it.
    Not leave me hanging around all day waiting. Not once but twice!

I can't leave as I have to be here to be meet him. Frustrating!
    Anyway, this thread isn't about me. So back ontopic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

galah wrote: »
    same sentiment here - wanted the outside of the house painted, rang a painting company, they agreed to come out to quote us (roughly a grand's worth of work we reckoned), I took the day off work to be home - they never showed up. Never cancelled, didnt answer their phone.

We then decided to post the job on one of the jobsites for tradesmen - not a single reply.

So really, it can't be that bad out there.

Pity you're the other side of the country. Could be doing with the work...although it's a poor time of year to be getting anything done on the exterior of the house, unless it can't wait (raw timber, or damage to substrates).
    You could do worse than try adverts.ie or some of the guys in the DIY forum that might be over that direction.

It is that bad out there....but painting is constrained by winter weather and anyone with work on will be rushing to have it finished for this side of the holidays. As I said to feelingstressed though, there is simply no excuse for not making a call to reschedule...and definitely no excuse for not answering a phone.

feelingstressed: if that were me I'd tell the guy to do one and get someone else. Lots of carpenters out there with no work currently...they should be taking the hand off you.,

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

galah wrote: »
    same sentiment here - wanted the outside of the house painted, rang a painting company, they agreed to come out to quote us (roughly a grand's worth of work we reckoned), I took the day off work to be home - they never showed up. Never cancelled, didnt answer their phone.

We then decided to post the job on one of the jobsites for tradesmen - not a single reply.

So really, it can't be that bad out there.

I agree, I needed a job done that was gonna cost approx 2grand. Started ringing around, rang 14 different boys.
    2 genuinly couldnt do it as they are no longer in that line of work
    3 came out and gave me a quote
    Of the other 9, some gave me a time and date that they would call to house and never showed, others said they would to ring me back but didnt

If I hear another tradesman complainging that theres no work, times are tight, complaining that foreigners are getting the jobs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭FF and proud

nonsmoker wrote: »
    I agree, I needed a job done that was gonna cost approx 2grand. Started ringing around, rang 14 different boys.
    2 genuinly couldnt do it as they are no longer in that line of work
    3 came out and gave me a quote
    Of the other 9, some gave me a time and date that they would call to house and never showed, others said they would to ring me back but didnt

If I hear another tradesman complainging that theres no work, times are tight, complaining that foreigners are getting the jobs....

I dont understand what your trying to say here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Y'all postin' in a troll thread:cool:

Seriously, I've been noticing the general contents of FF's posts and reckon he is a troll of the highest order, he masterfully maintains a degree of slight believability that prevents anyone from outright ignoring him; yet he lures posters in under the pretence of being a FF voter, which in this day and age is the ultamite act of trolling.

Or I could be wrong and he really is serious:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

What will it take to get the building industry up and running again, and all the jobs and money it will create.

There was no such thing as "up and running". The level of construction over the last 10 years was unsustainable for a country of this size and we will never see another one(boom) in our lifetime. We are returning to reality with higher taxes and less public sector jobs/pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

tech2 wrote: »
    There was no such thing as "up and running". The level of construction over the last 10 years was unsustainable for a country of this size and we will never see another one(boom) in our lifetime. We are returning to reality with higher taxes and less public sector jobs/pay.

True dat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Pull out of the EU and reclaim our fishing industry. The EU raped us for around 180billion on that one!

The fishing industry was around in the 80's, it's regional and seasonal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Do you really think the unprofitable and government subsidised Iish sugar-beat industry was of more use to the Irish economy than the EU, structural funds, CAP, the free movement of funds and labour, free access to the largest single market in the world, the euro?
    Oh yeah, I'd gladly throw that all away along with the last 40 years of development in this country if it meant I could work in a sugar factory.
    But look at the bloody mess that we are in now.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Pull out of the EU and reclaim our fishing industry. The EU raped us for around 180billion on that one!

Nope. FF sold it for milk quota for the farmers.

Advertisement