Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craig Doyle on 'the panel'

Options
  • 03-12-2010 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi
    I know Craig Doyle is probably a nice fella and all, but i dont think he's the right man for 'the panel'.
    its like he tries too hard and is just not funny imo.
    anyone else feel like this?
    I've started a page on this very issue on a well known social network site, with all the comedians in Ireland, can we not do better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Honestly I think the whole show tries too hard and isn't funny anymore.

There was a time 5 years or so ago when Dara O'Briain was manning the ship and it was fantastic. Then when he started missing shows and Neil Delamare or Colin took over for him it seemed to lose it's way. The final straw I think was it being moved to RTE 1.

Haven't been bothered to sit down to an episode in a few years now but saw a few minutes of it tonight. Not sure if it was a repeat but it seemed a bit ridiculous. Colin Murphy really needs to understand that shouting Thundersnow 7 times in a row doesn't make for funny television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It was a particularly poor show tonight.. Other weeks Delamere and Murphy usually do enough to keep you interested, but they were all poor tonight..

I think Doyle is actually quite good at it.. And him being there provides a lot of scope for the other lads to rip the piss out of "the pretty rich boy".... And he takes it in good jest... It's Maxwell and the token guest (seat 2) that need to be improved on, not Doyle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Doyle has obviously been given feedback that he lacked humour in relation to him not getting the saturday night show gig full time. Hence he probably sees his hosting of the panel as brushing up on that aspect.
    Unfortunately we have to endure this exercise.

Sadly enough hes not the worst part of the show, and that says it all really.

Saw 10 mins of it there tonight and what was striking was how they don't even play to the audience anymore, they laugh at their own stuff more than the audience actually laughs. its mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Doyle has obviously been given feedback that he lacked humour in relation to him not getting the saturday night show gig full time. Hence he probably sees his hosting of the panel as brushing up on that aspect.
    Unfortunately we have to endure this exercise.

Sadly enough hes not the worst part of the show, and that says it all really.

Saw 10 mins of it there tonight and what was striking was how they don't even play to the audience anymore, they laugh at their own stuff more than the audience actually laughs. its mad.

i take it you saw the bit where the token guest was laughing at himself singing zombie then?!
    twas terrible tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I find him surprisingly decent in the role but the show itself has been rubbish for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,429 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I find him surprisingly decent in the role but the show itself has been rubbish for years now.

Me too I think Doyle is best part of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Ditto. I think Doyle has improved the show after a few poor years of it. There have a number of good ones this series. Obviously my expectation has lowered, but its more hit than miss this series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The only thing I find amusing is that some of the panelists are called comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Doyle is a bit wooden, not quite up to Pat Kenny's standard but wooden nonetheless. Bring back Sean Moncrief, please

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

i take it you saw the bit where the token guest was laughing at himself singing zombie then?!
    twas terrible tv.

It was pretty cringeworthy every time that randomer..."comedian" made a joke - he laughed harder himself than everyone else put together :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

he's a lot better than David McWilliams last year
    i think we need a straight man in that seat for the others to play off of
    Maxwell's Igor impression does my head in though

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Skerries wrote: »
    Maxwell's Igor impression does my head in though

Yeah what's that about? I must have missed something. It was NEVER funny :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Doyle, Murphy, Delemere ---OK

Get rid of maxwell and fill the guest seat with someone good. Surely there are some funny people left in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I think he's doing a superb job. He's a lot more fluid and funny than David McWilliams. The Panel's really recovered a lot in comedy terms this season, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

I'm just watching a re-run of this weeks episode & there was a man by the name, "Dr. Dale" I think. He was talking about killing zombies. I just want to know, Was this guy for real? I'v only ever seen bits & pieces of this show so not sure if it was a piss take:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Ditto. I think Doyle has improved the show after a few poor years of it. There have a number of good ones this series. Obviously my expectation has lowered, but its more hit than miss this series.

Completely agree. Doyle has been the best host since Dara O Briain. Andrew Maxwells butler impression is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

The final straw I think was it being moved to RTE 1.

Out of interest, what difference does the channel it's on make?

I actually think Doyle is doing a pretty good job. He comes across as a good laugh and fairly down to earth. I don't find Colin Murphy remotely funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I got some free tickets to the filming of an episode a few weeks back and I have to say I thought it was quite entertaing. I was actually amazed at how well Craig Doyle played the role of host, too.

The others were fairly humorous also, bar one of the guests, a female impersonater. The show went on for about three hours and they really do edit the best bits out, as some of it would only be suitable for After Hours.

HoPpiE wrote: »
    The others were fairly humorous also, bar one of the guests, a female impersonater.

Mr Pussy? I didnt think he/she was the worst guest..

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Yeah I agree that the show has gone to the dogs but I think Craig Doyle has been surprisingly good as host. It's really not down to Doyle.

I haven't seen much of this series, but my 2 cents is that comedians like Delamare and Maxwell are too overbearing now, they dominate it too much. The days when they were new and maybe more shy were better, even if Fiona Looney was there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

dubmick wrote: »
    Out of interest, what difference does the channel it's on make?

I actually think Doyle is doing a pretty good job. He comes across as a good laugh and fairly down to earth. I don't find Colin Murphy remotely funny.

I've heard that they're censored more on RTE One, not as much free reign as RTE One shows are geared towards a more mature audience than RTE two shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

8/12/10

Doyle, Delemere, Farrell, Maxwell and Kevin Bridges on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Painful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

The scottish guy is sort of funny but the others are rubbish.

All Mairead does is sits there false laughing at the stupid jokes the others are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

terrible ep this week, and what with this hug ireland thing craig is running with its not funny.

terrible ep this week, and what with this hug ireland thing craig is running with its not funny.

Yeah, was bad this week.. they need enough funny people to outweigh the unfunny ones to give the show a chance.. And tonight the boat was sinking fast.. Murphy hugely missed.. BO-ring guests..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

robbie1977 wrote: »
    All Mairead does is sits there false laughing at the stupid jokes the others are saying.

And drooling over Craig Doyle. She fancies him rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Mairead's losing her one asset (rideness), she'll be forced back to sole medium of radio unless she lays off the post-panel beers & kebabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

best entertainment in ages on this show was the TG4 nutbar telling us about how he got into TV, headcase and fairplay to his honesty!
    I missed most but got all the good bits about living in the himilayas and drinking his own piss regularly! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Gardoggle

made a few suggestions of the panel fb page but they got deleted and now i'm barred!
    guess they dont like criticism.
    have to say, doyler seems to be a nice fella, the ladies like the eye-candy, but as a previous poster said, he's a bit wooden like pat kenny.
    if anyone's interested i've set up a fb page on this issue (coz i've nothin better to be doin)
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Craig-Doyle-off-the-panel-please/175066899188928

Advertisement