Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Royal Rumble 2011 Pre Show Thread # Spoilers

Options
  • 02-12-2010 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah i know...

Early.

BUT, i seen this popping up on youtube literally minutes ago:

And it will probably be pulled soon.

Made me think that this cena is fired/nexus angle will be finished by TLC.
    As he is obviously very predominant in the video.

Who will win the rumble? 47 votes

Sheamus
    0% 0 votes
    HHH
    10% 5 votes
    John Morrison
    6% 3 votes
    Booker T / Kevin Nash
    4% 2 votes
    John Cena
    0% 0 votes
    Alberto Del Rio
    23% 11 votes
    The Big Show
    19% 9 votes
    Daniel Bryan
    6% 3 votes
    CM Punk
    2% 1 vote
    Mark Henry
    23% 11 votes
    Wade Barett
    4% 2 votes
    Someone else (say who on thread)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,684 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The only two I really want to see win the RR are Christian or Jericho and both are out at the moment :( if they aren't back then Sheamus or Bryan winning would also be great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

wwe-rr-royal-rumble-2011-poster.jpg?w=590&h=657

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The only two I really want to see win the RR are Christian or Jericho and both are out at the moment :( if they aren't back then Sheamus or Bryan winning would also be great

Even though I'd love for it to happen .. .can't see Sheamus winning the RR ... He's already won 2 titles and the king of the ring, if he were to win this as well ... that would be the push of all pushes. I'm thinking Alberto Del Rio ... or maybe a returning Triple H.

Ideally what would happen is Taker wins the smackdown belt at TLC, then Seamus wins the RR, and beats taker at Mania for the Smackdown title.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loving the poster for the Royal Rumble, its a nice mix of established stars, like Cena, Kane, Orton, Edge and Rey and some of the new breed of stars, like Kofi, Del Rio, Morrison, R-Truth and The Miz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I really hope Taker isnt champ for mania.
    It weakens the greatness of the streak IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Il predict a sheamus title win against the miz at the rumble then a returning hhh winning the rumble setting up a hhh sheamus main event at wrestlemania either that or Barrett winning the rumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

wwe-rr-royal-rumble-2011-poster.jpg?w=590&h=657

I love how they're all serious except Kofi who looks stoned off his tits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

ricero wrote: »
    Il predict a sheamus title win against the miz at the rumble then a returning hhh winning the rumble setting up a hhh sheamus main event at wrestlemania either that or Barrett winning the rumble

I can see something like that happening too. Always a chance of CM Punk winning too if he returns to active duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Isn't Taker still a small doubt to even make Mania? He definately won't make TLC and would be a huge doubt for the Rumble then i'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If Cena is "fired" why is he on that poster?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gimmick wrote: »
    If Cena is "fired" why is he on that poster?

That's JUAN Cena in the poster! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

If Cena wins we riot!

No Barrett or Nexus on the poster, could it mean the storyline ends at
    TLC :rolleyes: Cena will probably have taken them all out by then

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No Barrett or Nexus on the poster, could it mean the storyline ends at
    TLC :rolleyes: Cena will probably have taken them all out by then

my thoughts exactly. although barratt is in the video.
    CMpunked wrote: »
    Made me think that this cena is fired/nexus angle will be finished by TLC.

im hoping for barratt to win and face a champion sheamus at WM. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'd say by the Rumble there will have been some major movement with the Nexus storyline, probably revealing some more of the "bigger picture". The GM will probably be a major thing by Wrestlemania too, so that will probably begin to emerge by the Rumble. With those 2 still to be revealed (unless they just abandon one or both as has happened before!), they probably just want to make some generic promo material. So I wouldn't really read anything into any of the stuff at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

CMpunked wrote: »
    im hoping for barratt to win and face a champion sheamus at WM. :cool:

That would only work if they turned Sheamus face which I can't see happening just yet.

glenjamin wrote: »
    That would only work if they turned Sheamus face which I can't see happening just yet.

Good point. I can see it happening somewhere down the line though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hmmm, I'd like to see Barrett or Del Rio win it. I definitely don't want to see any established main eventers winning it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I'd like to see Barrett or Del Rio win it. I definitely don't want to see any established main eventers winning it.

Yea there hasnt really been any surprise winners in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yea there hasnt really been any surprise winners in ages.

Cena in 2008?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I must note that these videos are made months in advance, and Cena's WWE's biggest star. Of course he's gonna be in a promotional video, even if he's potentially not on the show...which he will be.

Hey, remember Vengeance 2001 having sledgehammers all over it (ie for HHH) although he was still injured? Yup. :pac:

I guess we will have Miz V Morrison for the WWE title and Kane V Edge for the WHC title :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'll enjoy the Miz match but I'll care more for the Divas match than the **** Kane match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

How many times have non-MErs actually won the Rumble?

I ask this because it seems to me that in recent years, it's always been people who were already established as title contenders who are walking out with the shot. (Edge, Orton, Cena, Undertaker in the last four years running, for example). There seemed to be a brief run before that (Batista, Rey, Benoit) where you had people nearly there but not quite winning it, but the problem is there's no one in that "nearly there" category any more. It really strikes me that there's sucha division between Main event and midcard.

I mean, could anyone REALLY imagine Kofi or DiBiase being given the chance to headline Mania?

Anyway, I'll put my money on a HHH "surprise" return and a win. WWE have gotten mightly lazy nowadays in terms of building up numerous people as possible winners and given they have this return in waiting, I imagine he'll walk in and walk out as the winner. I'd also imagine Sheamus will pick up the title at EC then and we'll see the two have their grudge match at Mania :/

How many times have non-MErs actually won the Rumble?

I ask this because it seems to me that in recent years, it's always been people who were already established as title contenders who are walking out with the shot. (Edge, Orton, Cena, Undertaker in the last four years running, for example). There seemed to be a brief run before that (Batista, Rey, Benoit) where you had people nearly there but not quite winning it, but the problem is there's no one in that "nearly there" category any more. It really strikes me that there's sucha division between Main event and midcard.

I mean, could anyone REALLY imagine Kofi or DiBiase being given the chance to headline Mania?

Anyway, I'll put my money on a HHH "surprise" return and a win. WWE have gotten mightly lazy nowadays in terms of building up numerous people as possible winners and given they have this return in waiting, I imagine he'll walk in and walk out as the winner. I'd also imagine Sheamus will pick up the title at EC then and we'll see the two have their grudge match at Mania :/

Normall id agree but in the midst of the youth movement I do think that a non traditional main eventer might get what would be a huge push by winning this even if by that im willing to include people like CM Punk.

HHH would actually be nearly my favourite oddly however if I were a bookie but im going to give trips probably more credit than he deserves and think that he is happy to take a back seat these days (though he will occasionally have a reign on top) as it is now officially the time when the WWE are tryiing to get over new names.

I do say nearly my favourite though as If I had to guess at a winner now i'd go for Wade Barett. Nexus needs a boost if it is to continue in any form and the rumble is a chance for them to unite and show their power. Obviously like Legacy did in recent years their extra numbers will give them an advantage and with none of the members of Nexus now in any recognisable feuds (Barett/Cena is over as Punk moves in & Santino/Kozlov already gave Nexus their rematch at TLC) they all look most likely to be Rumble participants. Also their backstory and Wade's Mic Skills could definetly lend itself to a major WM storyline.

non bookies thoughts:

I guess one of the best ways to do it is consider what you think would be WM main events from both brands before picking a rumble winner out of one of the most likely 4 guys your left with. In that case i'd think my Barett pick might actually suffer though and something like HHH vs Sheamus could make sense, thus maybe HHH winning (sheamus did just win the KOTR after all) setting up KOTR winner vs King of Kings Rumble winner.

I can see The Miz retaining at the Rumble but either way would imagine he and Morrison would be in the Elimination chamber match from Raw where a new champ ill be crowned and the miss wont lose much credability by losing in such a match.

A combination of the below would be the 6 i'd expect in the Raw EC: Cena, CM Punk, Morrison, Sheamus, HHH, The Miz, Orton, Barett

I expect the Rumble winner to come from Raw so for me it will be one of the above while whomever they are feuding with is in the EC match and wins the belt from most likely The Miz.

out of the above CM Punk vs Cena & HHH vs Sheamus seem like the most likely WM title matches for me so im going to go for CM Punk winning the rumble and therefore not being in the EC, while in the rumble match HHH elimates Sheamus and himself in doing so. Then in a retalitory attack Sheamus could cost HHH his place in the EC match which John Cena wins before Big Red finally faces HHH at a WM rematch. The Miz, Morrison & Orton maybe drop into the MITB match if its taking place while Barett & Nexus have a cross promotional feud with the retuning Undertaker they helped bury.

so as a result of my permutations (ramblings) above:

Rumble winner: CM Punk
    Raw EC winner: John Cena

WM matches:

WWE champ John Cena vs Rumble winner CM Punk
    WM Rematch: Sheamus vs HHH
    Interpromotional streak match: The Undertaker vs Wade Barett w/Nexus

wrote the above typing as i thought but now that i blurted it all out as text i really believe the above will happen, think thats the reason the CM Punk feud with Cena has started now and his feud with Nexus was ended so definatley. Its time for a new story that can lead all the way to mania and what better a time than when these two are going to be seperated from 1 on 1 matches on PPV due to the rumble and elimination chamber matches. Meanwhile Punk can get the feud over as much as possible from commentary.

Also now thinking about it, I made the point during the slammys thread that last year it was used as the starting point for their biggest WM story with HBK's acceptance speach turning into a challenge to the Undertaker and now this year The Dispicable Me award (an award which sounds like it was thought up just for Punks character) has seen Punk cut a promo in which he talks directly to a future opponent saying there will come a day when he gets even, warning them to watch their back, becuase he holds grudges and doesent forget. He then vowed to get he revenge before only a week or two later shocking most by attacking Cena with a chair two shows in a row.

What's Punk's motivation for going after Cena though, that's what I'm wondering. Someone said on another forum that they could be coming from the angle that Cena is a bad role model. Examples of this would be Cena's vicious treatment of Batista and Barrett (which Punk repeatedly aired his disgust towards). Not to mention the fat jibes directed at a woman who has clearly lost weight.

What's Punk's motivation for going after Cena though, that's what I'm wondering. Someone said on another forum that they could be coming from the angle that Cena is a bad role model. Examples of this would be Cena's vicious treatment of Batista and Barrett (which Punk repeatedly aired his disgust towards). Not to mention the fat jibes directed at a woman who has clearly lost weight.

I would really like this and as I said somewhere else on here he was critical of the whole Cena turning up after firing thing from commentary, id say he could easily work in Cena's big farewell speach to cite him being a hypocrite, cos they can talk up John Cena being back as much as they like, he never went anywhere.

The odd thing though is that it seemed personal to Punk like Cena had personally wronged him in the past. Maybe they will use some sort of kayfabe thing about Cena treating him like sh!t when he arrived as part of Punks spiel about how Cena is a hypocrite and actuallya poor role model etc.

Yeah that's true, it did seem like Punk was referring to a specific incident between them. It would be a great angle, almost too great though, would they let Punk make such reasonable criticisms, it could hurt Cena's image.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's true, it did seem like Punk was referring to a specific incident between them. It would be a great angle, almost too great though, would they let Punk make such reasonable criticisms, it could hurt Cena's image.

It could help though as part of a long term plan to turn Cena heel down the line. Older audeinces would side with Punk while the Younger audience would go for Cena, however some of the younger people could as you point out be won over by Punk and this could help any potential heel turn down the line (in time for Mania next year vs Taker) not be rejected by the fans. The fans might actually need to hear someone like Punk spell it out for them in some cases before actually turning on Cena, otherwise like some said Austins heel turn did Cena's could fail as he would still recieve cheers. After him being in Nexus and him being called a hypocrite and a poor role model by Punk the fans might be more prepared for a Heel Cena.

Advertisement