Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube / Entertainment mega thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

My kinda gal.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Who ever thought these buggers could be handy
    https://youtu.be/RjebAlfrexA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

So ,if you have to ever answer in court or your FO statements about "leathl" calibres and such...You'll be well informed.:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    So ,if you have to ever answer in court or your FO statements about "leathl" calibres and such...You'll be well informed.:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

The hollow point .45acp, aka "The flying dustbin" :D. I had a 9mm, a 40S&W and then the .45acp, the .45 was the easiest to shoot and i would not like to be on the receiving end of it. The fact it was carried in two world wars, korea, vietnam etc with no problems, means it has to be one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

gunny123 wrote: »
    The hollow point .45acp, aka "The flying dustbin" :D. I had a 9mm, a 40S&W and then the .45acp, the .45 was the easiest to shoot and i would not like to be on the receiving end of it. The fact it was carried in two world wars, korea, vietnam etc with no problems, means it has to be one of the best.

Some Marines still carry a .45. :pac:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEU(SOC)_pistol

• Advertisement

Some Marines still carry a .45. :pac:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEU(SOC)_pistol

Of course, it was invented by Saint John Browning himself.

Although a great fan of the 1911 myself,it is now a very outdated design,that I would be reluctant to carry if the chips were down and there are much more modern and reliable guns out there in 45 ACP.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Although a great fan of the 1911 myself,it is now a very outdated design,that I would be reluctant to carry if the chips were down and there are much more modern and reliable guns out there in 45 ACP.

:eek: Blasphemy !

Always fancied a hi-power too, never got to get one before the ban came in.

None more proven though:D, And itd be a whole lot better than a pointy stick :p speaking of pointy sticks get a mosin aka pointy stick that shoots too:D
    In all seriousness has there been any major firearms development that hasn't piggy backed off a john browning design in the last 50-60 years?

None more proven though:D, And itd be a whole lot better than a pointy stick :p speaking of pointy sticks get a mosin aka pointy stick that shoots too:D
    In all seriousness has there been any major firearms development that hasn't piggy backed off a john browning design in the last 50-60 years?

I would say a lot, the ar rifles, the garand maybe. The AK was cribbed by the russians from wartime German designs.

Browning was genuinely an amazing man, as someone said he had the equivalent of a primary school education, if even that, and yet he had a brilliant mind for designing mechanisms. I am looking at an old auto 5 shotgun in good condition, it was the first successful auto shotgun, was made for over 100 years, and they made over 3 million of them.

The 1911 i had was a cheap single stack one, but i absolutely loved it and can see why people do not want to use anything else. The browning o/u the same, love them.

• Advertisement

I would say a lot, the ar rifles, the garand maybe. The AK was cribbed by the russians from wartime German designs.

Browning was genuinely an amazing man, as someone said he had the equivalent of a primary school education, if even that, and yet he had a brilliant mind for designing mechanisms. I am looking at an old auto 5 shotgun in good condition, it was the first successful auto shotgun, was made for over 100 years, and they made over 3 million of them.

The 1911 i had was a cheap single stack one, but i absolutely loved it and can see why people do not want to use anything else. The browning o/u the same, love them.

Every O/U shotgun with a barrel selector switch
    Every pistol with a slide
    The first successful semi auto .22 was a john browning design too:D without that first semi auto the 10/22 may not have existed:P
    The M2 machine gun its still in active service around the world after almost a century and its cartridge the .50bmg is another john browning design
    I dont think anyone will ever have as much influence on firearms as he did
    He also invented the first gas operated machinegun(potato digger) without which there might not have been any stg44s,AKs,ARs,SKSs,M1s etc....;)
    He definitely had more than just a butterfly effect on the industry:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0qe45Z8wfk :D:Pbit of a laugh
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94jDwOBjV-w

None more proven though:D, And it'd be a whole lot better than a pointy stick :p speaking of pointy sticks get a mosin aka pointy stick that shoots too:D
    In all seriousness has there been any major firearms development that hasn't piggybacked off a john browning design in the last 50-60 years?

Put a 1911 in any standard military endurance test of today and it wont survive. In 1911, the endurance test was 10,000 rounds without FTF or parts failure. That's not even breaking in some modern military handguns, where the round count is 100k rounds without parts failure or FTF..Granted with modern steels and better machining processes it certainly will have improved reliability and fit especially. My ol man carried a 1911 when he was in the US Navy in WW2,[as far as Iwo Jima] he always said they were horribly inaccurate and rattled like crazy, and that's probably why they issued them to officers in the first place[USN humour].Taking into account,every man and his dog were making those in the US under wartime conditions too,which would explain the sloppy tolerances He also confirmed something the gun Jesus[Ian Mac Collum] proved in his mud tests if the 1911 got sand or dirt in it,you were looking at a non -functioning gun.Apparently quite a few famous designs of battle-proven guns,dont do well in mud tests,like the Garand,the M14,the AK[and varients],the FAL,the Glock of all pistols and the 1911.Which must have been Hell in ww1 in the trenches.
    Also, its carrying of "Cocked and locked" can cause a fatal problem,if you are carrying in an open holster. Crud and lint can build up in the hammer slot in front of the firing pin,and prevent proper hammer to firing pin impact. Not good if you expect BANG! and get a "Click!" instead.Ergo you might be better off carrying "Israeli style"[Saftey off,nothing up the spout draw,,rack slide and fire] or Condition 2[1in the spout, hammer down,saftey on]Unless you have practised with the 1911,it is kind of fiddley to do all that under pressure too.
    Not to mind it is a single stack 8shot mag capacity.Not exacytly helpful in the age of high capacity.
    Yes,it is a great time proven design, but so is Henry Ford's model T or Dr Porshes VW Beetle. Doesn't mean we have to keep using them too, and more modern designs have been influenced from them too.

It's a fine gun and I love it too,but people seemingly idolise it as the be and end all of handgun designs,yet these same folks seem to be the ones always adding in custom parts to make them function better or more reliably for some reason...So what would you rather have if your neck was on the line? A gun that you can be assured will go Bang, consistently out of the box with 13 rounds of 45ACP,or a 107-year-old design with 8 rounds, that even in the civvie market is still problematic and known to hiccup,even with aftermarket parts?As Dirty Harry said "You gotta know your guns limitations".:)

Put a 1911 in any standard military endurance test of today and it wont survive. In 1911, the endurance test was 10,000 rounds without FTF or parts failure. That's not even breaking in some modern military handguns, where the round count is 100k rounds without parts failure or FTF..Granted with modern steels and better machining processes it certainly will have improved reliability and fit especially. My ol man carried a 1911 when he was in the US Navy in WW2,[as far as Iwo Jima] he always said they were horribly inaccurate and rattled like crazy, and that's probably why they issued them to officers in the first place[USN humour].Taking into account,every man and his dog were making those in the US under wartime conditions too,which would explain the sloppy tolerances He also confirmed something the gun Jesus[Ian Mac Collum] proved in his mud tests if the 1911 got sand or dirt in it,you were looking at a non -functioning gun.Apparently quite a few famous designs of battle-proven guns,dont do well in mud tests,like the Garand,the M14,the AK[and varients],the FAL,the Glock of all pistols and the 1911.Which must have been Hell in ww1 in the trenches.
    Also, its carrying of "Cocked and locked" can cause a fatal problem,if you are carrying in an open holster. Crud and lint can build up in the hammer slot in front of the firing pin,and prevent proper hammer to firing pin impact. Not good if you expect BANG! and get a "Click!" instead.Ergo you might be better off carrying "Israeli style"[Saftey off,nothing up the spout draw,,rack slide and fire] or Condition 2[1in the spout, hammer down,saftey on]Unless you have practised with the 1911,it is kind of fiddley to do all that under pressure too.
    Not to mind it is a single stack 8shot mag capacity.Not exacytly helpful in the age of high capacity.
    Yes,it is a great time proven design, but so is Henry Ford's model T or Dr Porshes VW Beetle. Doesn't mean we have to keep using them too, and more modern designs have been influenced from them too.

It's a fine gun and I love it too,but people seemingly idolise it as the be and end all of handgun designs,yet these same folks seem to be the ones always adding in custom parts to make them function better or more reliably for some reason...So what would you rather have if your neck was on the line? A gun that you can be assured will go Bang, consistently out of the box with 13 rounds of 45ACP,or a 107-year-old design with 8 rounds, that even in the civvie market is still problematic and known to hiccup,even with aftermarket parts?As Dirty Harry said "You gotta know your guns limitations".:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6u0HkyE5W8
    Id say those early 1911s were probably a lottery in terms of reliability one may have been accurate and reliable and the next off the assembly line could be a ball of S**te.

Yeah id much rather have a more modern design:P

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Id say those early 1911s were probably a lottery in terms of reliability one may have been accurate and reliable and the next off the assembly line could be a ball of S**te.
    During the war, the quality of materials and workmanship went out the window. Factories that previously made household cutlery and similar manufactured goods were re-tooled to make weapons and other equipment. Many weapons were expected to last at most a few years (material strength, rust protection, etc. suffered), at most weeks of combat use and a few thousand rounds on the basis that having 10 mediocre quality* weapons were better than one high quality weapon. There would of course be exceptions.

* They still had to do their job of putting rounds downrange.

Victor wrote: »
    During the war, the quality of materials and workmanship went out the window. Factories that previously made household cutlery and similar manufactured goods were re-tooled to make weapons and other equipment. Many weapons were expected to last at most a few years (material strength, rust protection, etc. suffered), at most weeks of combat use and a few thousand rounds on the basis that having 10 mediocre quality* weapons were better than one high quality weapon. There would of course be exceptions.

* They still had to do their job of putting rounds downrange.

Alot of car manufacturers also tooled up to make guns in WW2

Apparently quite a few famous designs of battle-proven guns,dont do well in mud tests,like the Garand,the M14,the AK[and varients],the FAL,the Glock of all pistols and the 1911.Which must have been Hell in ww1 in the trenches.

The worst, in that it actually killed the operator, must have been the Canadian Ross straight-pull rifle in ww1. Sensitive to dirt, the bolt could be beaten home and the rifle fired even though it was not in battery. The bolt would be blown back into the shooters face killing him.

I don't really know of any firearm that copes well with mud or a lot of dust, how can they really ? You would have to make some sort of effort to clear it before use.

I don't really know of any firearm that copes well with mud or a lot of dust, how can they really ? You would have to make some sort of effort to clear it before use.

Simple really...pick up the next dead guys clean rifle that didn't fall in the mud puddle where yours did.::eek:

It's odd that actually guns that were derided as not very good guns can out perform some much-lauded guns in muddy and dusty conditions. Guns like Luger 08,the FN49,and even the AR15.It seems to be anything with a tight sealed action will work if dropped in the goop. Guns with huge openings and exposed operating rods like the Garand family of guns,or the AK with its massive slots cut in the receiver.Once crud gets into the locking lug ports or guide rod mechanism, its weapons INOP time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53A8-gIrGqA
    An interesting little training rifle:pac: does anyone know of any other .22s with a old school style mauser action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53A8-gIrGqA
    An interesting little training rifle:pac: does anyone know of any other .22s with a old school style mauser action.

https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=75420

Not what i meant but yeah. I meant mauser style action safety on the bolt etc:P.
    Thats a rip off CZ/BRNO stuffed in a mauser like stock there was a few of them about here i saw one in a RFD a while back would be a fun lil gun tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Not what i meant but yeah. I meant mauser style action safety on the bolt etc:P.
    Thats a rip off CZ/BRNO stuffed in a mauser like stock there was a few of them about here i saw one in a RFD a while back would be a fun lil gun tho :D

If you PM me, I can send you some pics of my two pre-war German .22 rifles, one of which is a true miniature Mauser action with the flag safety, the other is a Walther DSM, which is NOT the same action, but, because it was intended for use as a trainer, also has the flag safety. You can, of course, post them here.
    BTW, KKW = KleinKaliberWaffe = small-bore rifle, and DSM - Deutsche Sport Modelle. The latter was intended to get around the Versailles Treaty prohibition of making military training rifles for, ahem, youthful persons. The name fooled nobody, even though, unlike that lovely Mauser KKW, DSM versions did not have a bayonet lug.

These days NORINCO make a reasonable copy of an average DSM training rifle with a 'Mauser'-style action.

Basc giving 4,000 scouts an introduction to shooting. Could something like this not be done here to promote shooting sports, or would the Joe Duffy whinger brigade be out in force ?

The Scouts originally were an armed organisation belive it or not. That was the whole concept behind Baden Powells thinking.But nowadays,I doubt a scout person even has a damn pocket knife.:( Going by all the debates of Gender equality and whether little Johnnie actually wants to be Janie and has his six-pack of condoms with him at camp rather than his merit badge for knot tying.Well...maybe handy for a jamboree bondage session these days...:rolleyes: So I'm sure the lesbian trans sex scout person in charge would probably freak first if this was suggested. So what have we got to lose??Be well worth a try.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Scouts originally were an armed organisation belive it or not. That was the whole concept behind Baden Powells thinking.But nowadays,I doubt a scout person even has a damn pocket knife.:( Going by all the debates of Gender equality and whether little Johnnie actually wants to be Janie and has his six-pack of condoms with him at camp rather than his merit badge for knot tying.Well...maybe handy for a jamboree bondage session these days...:rolleyes: So I'm sure the lesbian trans sex scout person in charge would probably freak first if this was suggested. So what have we got to lose??Be well worth a try.:)

There's jamboree bondage sessions? Is 46 too old to join the scouts?* :pac:

*I am only joking so no need to tip off the authorities. :D

Your remarks have really offended me, because today i choose to identify as a 6'4" black nigerian female limbo dancer. You monster !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Your remarks have really offended me, because today i choose to identify as a 6'4" black nigerian female limbo dancer. You monster !

Hey, how you doin'. :p

BattleCorp wrote: »

Hey, how you doin'. :p

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

You mean the flag safety?

Any older '54 actioned Anchustz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

extremetaz wrote: »
    You mean the flag safety?

Any older '54 actioned Anchustz

I've got one of those, too - a Model 1409 I rescued from a soggy closet in the forgotten corner of the range armoury.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

tac foley wrote: »
    I've got one of those, too - a Model 1409 I rescued from a soggy closet in the forgotten corner of the range armoury.

Very nice - I've a 1423 here.

Advertisement