Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Disruption / Impact on Transport etc

Options
  • 01-12-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Please post here with your latest information on the latest transport updates to help other boardsies lifes that bit easier during the cold spell.

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Dublin Bus are failing to function again.:)

Their website is down. They are basically stuck in town.
    They say they are trying and I hope they are.

City Centre roads are at a crawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Dublin city at a crawl, road out of the city through Ranelagh towards M50 is NOT moving at all avoid if possible. Oh and beacon hotel in Sandyford is all booked out for the night in case anyone working up that way wants a room for tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Have to say, was out driving last night with work around the D12 Ballyfermot/Kylemore Rd, Walkinstown Rd, Naas Road, Citywest, Lucan area and there was no sign of any roads around those areas having been treated at all. M50 was down to one lane after a fall of snow, didn't look like the M50 had been treated or any of the junctions had been treated either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

Stay at home if possible and if you have to drive stay away from any type of hill. All of west Dublin jammed, fair play to the many of pedestrians i seen trying to push cars out of trouble. Is anyone supprised that nothing was learnt from early on in the year when the country came to a hault due to similar conditions .

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Some pretty heavy traffic around Dublin and heading out of Dublin... M50 southbound looks mad!

DublinTraffic.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steppes

Malahide Road is hazardous and traffic is moving slower than pedestrians. The gritters were out but they couldn't do much. Griffith Avenue is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Panic setting in around train stations apparently.
    Fighting to get on trains....When will people learn.

Also, the Dublin quays are static.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Have to say the lack of snow ploughs on the M50 and M3 in particular is very disturbing. M3 is lethal from before Dunshaughlin. Outside lane crying out for ploughing. This is NRA responsibility.

From the Johnstown/Skryne off ramp to to Navan is an absolute disgrace. Almost 200mm of snow left to compact on the road. No evidence of snow ploughs at all. This is local authority responsibilty.

Not a good showing by either authority, can only spell disaster in the days to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

Some traffic jams at connolly dart station.

201488458.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1291230592&Signature=lmmRHH8v4%2FbeAfc822C8HmNyV1c%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I got a train in Connelly at 4 and it was crazy, I am not surprised by the picture above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I note that Dublin Bus are advertising services stopping at 8pm. Irishrail say things are easing at city centre stations.

check http://twitter.com/irishrail for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭gipi

For those travelling via Matthews bus (Drogheda, Dundalk, Bettystown), check their website or facebook page for updates. www.matthews.ie

Latest is that all services have been cancelled for tomorrow morning (Thur) and will be reviewed depending on what the weather does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I was in Newbridge at 5pm today, totally crazy, snow heavy with no end in sight and the depth of snow between the tyre tracks along the main road through the town was approaching the ground clearance of the average car. Was very eager to get out there becoming stuck. I can only imagine what it's like there now if the council hasn't run a snow plough through it (although that would have been difficult anyway with the gridlocked traffic) and if its got deeper or frozen solid. Even at that time traffic was having difficulty getting up the hill to the motorway roundabouts at the Curragh end.

Road from Newbridge to Naas was covered in frozen snow but drivable slowly with appropriate care, as was the Naas Road back to Dublin, traffic was forming three driving lanes as was really the same all the way across, just a plain of frozen snow, although nearer Newlands Cross it gave way to slush a bit. Lorries doing crazy speeds though:eek:

If you value the suspension on your car avoid the Belgard Road, the surface was patchy frozen snow and thawed snow, like constantly crashing over kerbs.

N81 into the city from Belgard Road was much like the Naas Road, covered in frozen snow but drivable with appropriate care.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Has anybody traveled the M7 recently? I'm suppose to drive from Limerick to Dublin on Friday and back Saturday. Only going as far as the RedCow. Any update on road conditions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

This was today's last 39a to Blanch which had to be abandoned on Manor street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kobayashi

Shambles at the airport. Opens at 18.46 and closes 15 mins later. Mum was sitting at Birmingham airport and they were waiting for go ahead from Dublin to take off. Go ahead given for the 30min flight and once in the air told they can't land, diverted to Belfast! Thought they were badly hit or do they have the infastructure to cope?

Just heard dublin atc say that the runways and taxiways will be open again at 00:30hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Bucklesman wrote: »
    This was today's last 39a to Blanch which had to be abandoned on Manor street.

And those goons in the video thought it was so hilarious to throw even more snow at the wheels of the bus while it was struggling to move? Idiots :mad: Just like those morons who think that it's hilarious to throw giant snowballs at cars that are trying to drive in horrid conditions and then you have a bunch of muppets pelting snowballs making it all the more difficult for the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gremlin wrote: »
    Just heard dublin atc say that the runways and taxiways will be open again at 00:30hrs.

I hope so my wifes en route with the kids from Paris on FR29, and if its not open she'll end up in bloody Belfast or somewhere.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I hope so my wifes en route with the kids from Paris on FR29, and if its not open she'll end up in bloody Belfast or somewhere.

Inquitis, have a listen in and you will hear your wifes plane as they approach dublin.

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2

PS its silent most of the time tonight.

• Advertisement

tinkerbell wrote: »
    conditions and then you have a bunch of muppets pelting snowballs making it all the more difficult for the driver.

I work overlooking sheriff st in dub. The kids were jumping in front of cars then riding on the boots as the cars tried to pull away. No doubt *some* of the parents would say, 'ah sure their just kids having fun'. They were throwing ice balls (very deliberately iceballs) at passers by and cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Gremlin wrote: »
    I work overlooking sheriff st in dub. The kids were jumping in front of cars then riding on the boots as the cars tried to pull away. No doubt *some* of the parents would say, 'ah sure their just kids having fun'. They were throwing ice balls (very deliberately iceballs) at passers by and cars.

I can vouch for that as I drove home via summerhill. Got pelted by a few but that happened to a car in front of me. Two ugly runts grabbed the back of the car and got a slide off them, was so tempted to smash my car into the little fookers... :mad::mad:

The young lass driving the car looked in a panic as she stopped a number of times yet they persisted in doing it.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

Chipper delivery guy told me that he seen lads run out in front of car and when the driver stoped the brats spun the car in opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

What you're getting is more or less normal for where I used to live (in eastern Canada). We get some snow here too, enough to keep some memory of how to drive in the stuff.

Just a few tips, not necessarily equally useful to everyone, I'm thinking mostly of people with cars and normal tyres facing this snow and ice. I had to learn to handle this myself without the budget required for the winter tyres, and of course rule number one is to stay off the road if at all possible if your tyres aren't the best for the season. But if you are stuck and have to drive, keep some of these ideas in the back of your mind.

When you're stuck on a fairly level surface or a slight incline due to ice or compact snow, the trick is to go as slow as you can in a very low gear. Ideally, you can back up about a foot first to get your tyres onto a less slippery surface. If you or some earlier occupant of the space have smoothed the surface to glare ice, you're stuck unless you can move back a bit, then don't gun your engine, just roll sedately forward as slow as you can control your car. Then your wheels won't spin and you'll find that once mobile, you can roll out of the ice.

Something like kitty litter (hope that term is in use there) makes a good sprinkler for the icy sections you have to leave to get moving. If you're more snowed in and find you're digging a nasty hole, hopefully you've got at least one pusher, but if it's your girlfriend, she's going to hate you for spraying her jeans or nice boots with the muck, so man up and do the pushing. Whoever's driving should try to back up anyway about a foot, then go forward, you'll find you get into a rhythm of one foot back, two feet forward, then hopefully the next time, it's twice that, until you rock your way out. But expect to take a bit of a fishtail as your right side (probably) gets better traction on the cleared road. Try to stay off the brakes and just go far enough forward to clear the piled snow before you stop for the passenger/pusher.

Driving on glare ice or compact snow is tricky, the best advice is to make sure you are in a gear that you can accelerate somewhat, and if you have to brake, pump the brakes (gently) rather than just applying them.

If you have snow on top of your car, get rid of it before you start out, sometimes that snow will pancake off the roof of your car onto your windscreen or out into the road making a hazard for some other driver.

It's all coming back to me now, :eek: this is why I moved to west coast from snow belt climate. I hope these little tips will save somebody a hassle in the days to come.

And those goons in the video thought it was so hilarious to throw even more snow at the wheels of the bus while it was struggling to move? Idiots :mad: Just like those morons who think that it's hilarious to throw giant snowballs at cars that are trying to drive in horrid conditions and then you have a bunch of muppets pelting snowballs making it all the more difficult for the driver.

The driver had been putting dry snow under the wheels in an attempt to get more traction. Most of the people doing that had been on the bus themselves.

It was worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Surely theres a certain element of death wish in faffing around inches from the spinning wheels of a bus !!!???

That's why we weren't pushing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

those goons were trying to help, theres more chance of grip in a bit of loose snow, than on compacted snow/ice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    those goons were trying to help, theres more chance of grip in a bit of loose snow, than on compacted snow/ice

Ah here, my scale model RC car wouldn't have gotten grip on the amount of snow they were kicking at the bus! They just looked stupid.

A seriously HUGE lol at 1:12 your one in the white jacket attempting to push the bus! Ha!

• Advertisement

That's desperation for ya. This happened around three o'clock, I didn't get home til about half six. If only Dublin Bus would get some snow chains.

Advertisement