Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro SD cards, where?

Options
  • 01-12-2010 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, didn't know where to ask. Thought this may be the best place.
    I'm moving over to the darkside today :p. Moving from an iPhone 3gs to a HTC Desire. I need 32gb micro SD card though. Was looking on ebay and they seem stupidly expensive.
    Where is the best place to get them? What sort of price should I pay for one?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

shop4memory.com also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I ordered a 16GB one today from ndscardsale.com for $33
    The 32GB was $105 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

buy 2 and crossfire them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Skerries wrote: »

Crossfire them?! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

32's are still really expensive. If you find a cheap one it'd probably be suspect (i.e. not actually 32GB). I'll be sticking to 16 till they come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

Skerries wrote: »
    Pfft! SLI ftw! (I actually have an ATI card, but wanted to say that :))

The 16GB seem to be the best value for money. The €/GB cost goes up quite a bit when you look at the 32GB ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I ordered a 16GB one today from ndscardsale.com for $33
    The 32GB was $105 :eek:

What class are those cards? I don't think you will get anything fast for that price and people may get pissed off by the slow access/read/write performance when using it.

I remember a thread about it not too long ago and class 4 and above is good for android.

EDIT here is a 16GB class 6 for $41... wonder can it really be that good?

http://www.ndscardsale.com/sd16g

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Be careful with all dealers mentioned here - every one of them is liable for Customs/Excise and VAT including MyMemory which is based in The Channel Islands.

If necessary, break up the order into two parts to keep each one under the €22 cutoff point at which they start nailing you for this stuff.

I thought I was getting a bargain earlier in the year but after the €6 An Post handling charge and VAT/Import Duty it wasn't so I sent it back to MyMemory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Found this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161405 the only thing is they don't ship internationally, any of you guys got an address in the states, we can buy more than 1 and ship them over here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 huangyu

This is another one , http://www.digitopz.com/memory-card-c-11.html they can send it to any place in the world, many different brands for you to choose , hope can help you !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

god's toy wrote: »
    What class are those cards? I don't think you will get anything fast for that price and people may get pissed off by the slow access/read/write performance when using it.

I remember a thread about it not too long ago and class 4 and above is good for android.

EDIT here is a 16GB class 6 for $41... wonder can it really be that good?

http://www.ndscardsale.com/sd16g

I got the Sandisk one beside it...I guess the 2 means Class 2?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

fransdev wrote: »
    Found this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161405 the only thing is they don't ship internationally, any of you guys got an address in the states, we can buy more than 1 and ship them over here

Very interested in that. I didn't know there were class 10 cards. There are companies that will purchase stuff on your behalf and forward on to you. If there were a few of us buying together we could make use of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

MyMemory.co.uk .... are the fast to deliver does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I got the Sandisk one beside it...I guess the 2 means Class 2?

Yep but that can be misleading too as a 'good' class 2 can be better than a 'bad' class 4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

SanDisk are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Cork Skate wrote: »
    MyMemory.co.uk .... are the fast to deliver does anyone know?

Yes, definitely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'd be interested in the group buy from america if thats going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

I'd be interested in the America bulk buy too

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    I'd be interested in the America bulk buy too

+1

• Advertisement

That's a total of 5 interested in a bulk buy from newegg. I'm open on suggestions for how to go about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

sign me up too for the bulk buy in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

How much would we have to put up?

Well....there are a few ways of doing this kind of thing.

We could:

1) get someone with a friend in the US to buy them for us and ship them over here. This would be (by a stretch) the cheapest way to do this. We could either pay up front, or on delivery. Obviously up front payment is going to make this easier for the friend in the US to do this. I have a friend who has just moved to the US, but he may not have a US credit card yet (necessary for newegg).

Shipping would also be very cheap because all the unnecessary packaging could just be ditched. The chips themselves are very small and lightweight.

2) Go through one of those intermediate shipping companies. They buy on your behalf and you pay them a fee. From initial investigations this is a lot more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

fransdev wrote: »

I have an address in the States. It's in New York and it's being leased by a company on my behalf, but I'm sure there would be no problem.

So if we get a few more in or whatever I'll get it sorted.

Very decent of you. I think you'll need a credit card with a US registered address too though.

If that fails, I've an aunt there who may be able to sort us out....

She should be over in a few weeks for xmas too :)

That would be ideal Red. :) I'm happy to give you (or whoever else is organising this) the money for mine up front.

I checked on newegg. It's 330 USD including tax and delivery for 10 cards, so 33 dollars (or around 25 euro) a pop. Hard to argue with that for a class 10 card.

Now mymemory are selling class 4 16g cards for 20 sterling including delivery, which is a little bit cheaper, but obviously a much slower card.

I'll get back on this thread soon so. I'll just go confirm that we're good to go with this.

If we are, I'll see what I can do about getting money off people. Boards beers may be the easiest way to catch ye all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd get one on the bulk buy also defo!

Advertisement