Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the media be focusing too much on Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ive just been thinking right, we all pay our taxes to them people in RTE and yet despite this the media and news does be dominated by Dublincentric stuff. Everything from the news to the weather to the sitcoms is based around Dublin with not much else focused on the rest of the country. Theres times when you just have to say ah sure this kind of thing isnt on at all, and do something about it.
    Name one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We should amalgamate all the counties on the east coast and call it Super Dublin

Megacity Wan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Thread title need more of Old Blue Eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Every bit of land we had was covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Every bit of land we had was covered

I was going to post the clip right before you wrote this but then I couldn't bring myself to listen to her voice.

Regardless, Bridie says every bit of land is covered. Clearly she feels there is no media bias towards Dublin. Case closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

OP: guess you can try and rally support by passing out flyers at the local well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yes it does but that's only because Dublin is the greatest city in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Does the media be focusing too much on Dublin?

sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

... coz Dublin is so great ya' know??

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yes it does but that's only because Dublin is the greatest city in the world

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ive just been thinking right, we all pay our taxes to them people in RTE and yet despite this the media and news does be dominated by Dublincentric stuff. Everything from the news to the weather to the sitcoms is based around Dublin with not much else focused on the rest of the country. Theres times when you just have to say ah sure this kind of thing isnt on at all, and do something about it.

Do you think its time to protest about the Dublincentric orientation of the media like them people protesting about the IMF and public sector.
    You're a really poor troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Do you think its time to protest about the Dublincentric orientation of the media like them people protesting about the IMF and public sector.
    phasers wrote: »
    Name one.
    Fair City?
    Whats the new one, fade street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I don't understand why some culchies hate Dublin... I think I'd rather live somewhere I could go places pretty easily as opposed to a feckin' bog.

And I'm from Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Dublin = Engerland

Rest of Ireland = Ireland

Yeah and it's fukhead, up its own arse, bogger statements like that which makes me wish Dublin was English.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I don't understand why some culchies hate Dublin... I think I'd rather live somewhere I could go places pretty easily as opposed to a feckin' bog.

And I'm from Sligo!

I'd prefer if more places were spread out and accessible by a reliable public transport system.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

How?

was that a serious question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

The only time the country is 'in the news' is when there are car accidents or floods. I think if there were more attention on the country, everybody would be depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

In general I don't think RTE is overly focused on Dublin-there have been a few occasions where I felt news stories which effect the entire country are presented in a Dublin-centric manner but these are exceptions.

One thing which does annoy me a little bit is Met Eireanns regional forecasts have five regions- Connacht, Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Dublin. Now I know Dublin has by far the biggest population of any county in Ireland but this does not impact on the weather. The county of Dublin could fit inside Mayo or Galway several times over but is seemingly able to experience drastically different weather conditions from the counties around it. Its a small thing but it annoys me all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Dublin is a dump...../thread:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The one thing to come out of decentralisation is that hardly any of the culchies in the civil service moved back despite very generous incentives.

So culchies love Dublin, wouldn't leave it even if you offer them loads of money. The rest are just jealous.

But like I keep telling people if you ignored the crime reports, you'd never know that Limerick was the third biggest city in the country 'cos people hardly talk about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Aldebaran wrote: »
    I was just saying how After Hours could do with another Dublin vs. rest of the country thread.

Could be worse could be a Nortsoide/Soutsoide thread

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

After Hours is very Dublin centred too.
    Something happens somewhere else, it's posted in a regional forum.
    Someone gets stuck on a train in Dublin, posts it in After Hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »
    After Hours is very Dublin centred too

In fairness, most of them are started by non-Dubliners bitching and moaning that either Dublin has everything or they hate Dublin cause it has nothing, or they saw something happening in Dublin. Those type of threads won't be moved to the Dublin forum cause they wouldn't be tolerated and rightly so.

It's the age old story or non-Dubliners being obsessed with Dublin.

As Capt'n Midnight said... the offer was there to the rural civil servants, move out of Dublin (along with incentives) and none of them would move, they love it.

The women love the accent too, makes them melt. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

phill106 wrote: »
    Fair City?
    Whats the new one, fade street?

But sure isn't there a Wexford girl in Fade Street?,

Having said that, RTE are so out of touch with the rest of the country they showed the Wexford train arriving at Heuston station!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

SkidMark wrote: »
    But sure isn't there a Wexford girl in Fade Street?

Exactly, and like most country girls hasn't she come to Dublin looking for Cockles and mussels alive alive oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

biko wrote: »
    After Hours is very Dublin centred too.
    Something happens somewhere else, it's posted in a regional forum.
    Someone gets stuck on a train in Dublin, posts it in After Hours...
    Sometimes I report Dublin threads in AH and use just one word as an inside joke. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭twinytwo

lol at dubliners trolling culchies! :pac:

Seriously tho, its about time we rename Ireland 'Dublin' coz Dublin is so great ya' know??

best thing to ever come out of dublin.. is the road to cork...

and brian o driscoll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Dublin is the only village / town / city in this country..............everywhere else is just baron wasteland populated by muck mountain men who sprouted out of the ground like potatoes.

When it comes to Irish Media, I refer it to Republic of Dublin.

You spelled "baron" incorrectly there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bluewolf wrote: »
    Mr & Mrs Does Be and all the little Do Bes

Ah we all loved the do-be brothers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

the media does be focused too much on being from dublin, from that exclusive sect confined to.. a certain region like can be heard in..
    TV3 reporters n playstation move ads they really get my goat, no way is that toff the greatest fighter of all time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement