Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd rather the 4:3 model you have :)

What I find interesting about this one is that it's a 38 inch widescreen model but it's from the black styled Trinitron range. The only ones that size I've really seen in Ireland tend to be later silver Wega models. Never seen one of these before.

I'd say the picture quality on it is lovely, would be great for widescreen low def games as Ciderdude said. Some size commitment though! :)

Master of the Universe

Interesting Dev item going cheap.

PSP dev 'controllers'. They plug into the main development unit which looks like a mini PC tower. I think these usually go for a lot more.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PSP-Playstation-Portable-Development-System-Console-Rare-DTP-H110-Control-/251700672392?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:3160

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Actually meant to say a friend of mine bought that!
    He had text the seller and heard nothing for a week or more then the guy called him out of the blue and he went and got it.
    pretty good game.Im gonna help him clean it up.
    Weird tho it is missing loads of stickers.
    they were deffo never put on in the factory either,

Has a cool ball save where a magnet catches the ball between/under the flippers and fires it up the playfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

• Advertisement

broken slot machine here for €30, could be fun

• Company Representative Posts: 14 Verified rep Player1 Gaming: Shane

Great, well keep an eye on the site over the next 2 or 3 weeks and we'll start to update the retro end of things.

Thanks for the input on this guys. The Retro collection has grown since we discussed it last and we've taken your advice on the bundles and started it with Gameboy Advance and will add to it with other retro games as we progress.

Thanks Again

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thanks for the input on this guys. The Retro collection has grown since we discussed it last and we've taken your advice on the bundles and started it with Gameboy Advance and will add to it with other retro games as we progress.

Thanks Again

Shane

Price of Conkers Bad Fur Day..........:eek:

Best of luck with that lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Crappy game and all and not rare at all but if its boxed with manual it kind of does go for that price these days,. Gone are the days about 3 years ago I was turning my nose up at it for 40.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Crappy game and all and not rare at all but if its boxed with manual it kind of does go for that price these days,. Gone are the days about 3 years ago I was turning my nose up at it for 40.

Let the mentallers pay insane money for bog standard games.

The fact that they're not actually rare means you'll probably come across them for cheap enough at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not a crappy game either.
    I played it, finished it and really liked it.
    A vast amount of work must have gone into it, very little reuse of assets, as each episode had self contained designs and enemies.
    It parodied both movies of the time and games, in particular Rares own and the mechanics they use.
    And it brave enough to add an ending that a fairly impressive and dark, despite the jocular time of the game itself.
    And that's not mentioning the musical number!
    I know you don't like ta humour Retr0 but so few games have tried it, and it implemented it week, even if the type of humour irked you.
    I did seem my unboxed copy for about. 95 euro though :)
    Still have my Xbox one and an N64 Everdrive if I feel the need to play again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh look it's saving private Ryan, with a hungover squirrel, now it's scarf ace with a hungover squirrel isn't exactly the height of comedy. Also when it's dragged out with an appalling script and acting it makes it worse. The context sensitive scene is just painful and it continues lie tat throughout. Not to mention the whole game hinges on fetch quests it makes you repeat two r three times before you move on. I'm sorry but once you get over the flimsy premise theres not even a good game to make up for the secondary schooler humour.

Corholio wrote: »
    Price of Conkers Bad Fur Day..........:eek:

Best of luck with that lads.

Conker's is mad in terms of it's value for sure! Crazily that price isn't way off base for it's condition versus where we have benchmarked. We would also consider reasonable offers in-store for anything retro.

I hope you find most of our prices competitive I think we have benchmarked fairly appropriately but welcome feedback on anything that looks out of kilter..

Cheers

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Conker's is mad in terms of it's value for sure! Crazily that price isn't way off base for it's condition versus where we have benchmarked. We would also consider reasonable offers in-store for anything retro.

I hope you find most of our prices competitive I think we have benchmarked fairly appropriately but welcome feedback on anything that looks out of kilter..

Cheers

Shane

Conkers aside, your prices across the board still look pretty strong Shane. For example, Kevin Keegans Player Manager for the Snes at €10 is never going to move (plus postage don't forget). There's quite a few games I spotted that seem overpriced. If I were responsible for the stock movement there, I'd be looking at undercutting ebay prices significantly in order to move stock & get the name of the shop out there. That game shouldn't be more than €2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh look it's saving private Ryan, with a hungover squirrel, now it's scarf ace with a hungover squirrel isn't exactly the height of comedy. Also when it's dragged out with an appalling script and acting it makes it worse. The context sensitive scene is just painful and it continues lie tat throughout. Not to mention the whole game hinges on fetch quests it makes you repeat two r three times before you move on. I'm sorry but once you get over the flimsy premise theres not even a good game to make up for the secondary schooler humour.

Well, I'll have to respectfully disagree, the game was very enjoyable, in my opinion, and one of the bright spots of gaming in that generation.
    I had a lot of fun with it and I thought the game play changed enough to keep it interesting, from fetch quests to a third person shooter.
    And, if you break down lot of games, of highly rated games, you wind up with hunting for keys, hunting for codes, searching for sets of coins/tokens etc.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Conkers aside, your prices across the board still look pretty strong Shane. For example, Kevin Keegans Player Manager for the Snes at €10 is never going to move (plus postage don't forget). There's quite a few games I spotted that seem overpriced. If I were responsible for the stock movement there, I'd be looking at undercutting ebay prices significantly in order to move stock & get the name of the shop out there. That game shouldn't be more than €2

Cheers Myrddin. Ebay has been our primary benchmark. We cover the shipping so we are aiming to be a few quid cheaper than Ebay all in. But it sounds like we might need to do a bit better to generate interest.

I think with games like player manger (any worth <€10) we are going to have to move them off the site as standalone and bundle multiple games into 10 or 20 Euro bundles like with the gameboy advances. Otherwise I think people see €10 and run a mile. When we eat the shipping we can't really sell anything sub 10 euro.

Btw it's great to get this feedback live... market research cost saving banked ;)

Master of the Universe

Cheers Myrddin. Ebay has been our primary benchmark. We cover the shipping so we are aiming to be a few quid cheaper than Ebay all in. But it sounds like we might need to do a bit better to generate interest.

I think with games like player manger (any worth <€10) we are going to have to move them off the site as standalone and bundle multiple games into 10 or 20 Euro bundles like with the gameboy advances. Otherwise I think people see €10 and run a mile. When we eat the shipping we can't really sell anything sub 10 euro.

Btw it's great to get this feedback live... market research cost saving banked ;)

Just make sure when you're taking prices from ebay that you go into advanced search and tick the 'sold items' box. (anything that's sold will be highlighted in green)

Currently listed items can be a good gauge but they can also be way off at times. If you look at items which have sold though it's an exact figure on the item's worth :)

Yep, spot on, that's what I'd do myself. Put bundles together like your GBA stuff, because as you said, someone will see Keegans Player Manager for €10 & just leave the site. Free shipping is a nice feature, fair play for that. As o1s1n mentions, make sure you gauge pricing based off of completed ebay listings, not current auctions. What someone wants & what people get are two different things!

Another thing you could do is put certain games into a specific 'bundle category', & let people choose the bundle themselves, say 3 for a tenner for muck games, 2 for 15 for semi decent ones etc etc.

You don't have to take my advice bit the model a lot of the big retro game shops take in the US is for rarer or uncommon games is to undercut ebay prices. You'll be getting them in cheap so you'll still be making a significant profit and the people that will be interested in them will just go to ebay if its cheaper. They overcharge a little on the common popular titles, stuff like mario, donkey kong, final fantasy 7. They have more mass market appeal and bound to sell to the more casual seller looking for a nostalgia fix or a quirky present.

As for crappy sports games, my advice would try and not even take them into stock, they'll clog inventory and never sell. There's a few crappy sports games that are collectors items but the majority are dead inventory.

One other thing, learn to spot fake gameboy, gba and DS games. They are worthless and can cause problems if you sell them on.

Anything to be said for bribing the forum moderators with swag? No?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anything to be said for bribing the forum moderators with swag? No?

Infideals style! Shane, check this out - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70789857

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

One other thing, learn to spot fake gameboy, gba and DS games. They are worthless and can cause problems if you sell them on.

Yeah, this is especially true with Pokemon games, probably the most faked games series ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Buying GBA games online has instilled in me a steely contempt for my fellow man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

wrong thread, sorry

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Buying GBA games online has instilled in me a steely contempt for my fellow man.

Indeed, they must be the most dodgy carts to buy online ever.
    "Is this cart genuine?"
    "Oh yes, I never sell knock off goods"
    "Excellent, I'll take the special edition Pokemon:Tartan from you then, my good man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Indeed, they must be the most dodgy carts to buy online ever.
    "Is this cart genuine?"
    "Oh yes, I never sell knock off goods"
    "Excellent, I'll take the special edition Pokemon:Tartan from you then, my good man"

You left out "it's a special import version. I got it in America."

Mentioned this before, but nearly got stung once. Thought I got FireRed and LeafGreen for an absolute steal, about to seal it, 'til the chap tried to stick ChaosBlack on top of the deal.....plead the contrary to no end.

There exists no level of hell appropriate enough for these numpties. Selling bootlegs is fine, once priced appropriate and well sign-posted, like can-can dancers and the buyer's full, informed knowledge of the fact, but that carry-on is just messin'.

loads of decent boards here including a bootleg Ghosts N Goblins which I happen to have to have one of these and they play exremely well
    http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56155&title=fspcb-mvs-loose-kitsso-many-titles

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

22 euro for a "retro handheld"

http://www.grabonestore.ie/demondeal-incorporation

Now, this i dunno if this is legal? its got a load of old games on it. not sure if i should be posting this here, im not pointing in the direction of rom downloads, it just strikes me as odd, i doubt they got permission to use all those games on it!

keithgeo wrote: »
    22 euro for a "retro handheld"

http://www.grabonestore.ie/demondeal-incorporation

Now, this i dunno if this is legal? its got a load of old games on it. not sure if i should be posting this here, im not pointing in the direction of rom downloads, it just strikes me as odd, i doubt they got permission to use all those games on it!

There is no way they are legally allowed to distribute those games with that console:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeh its crazy, had a quick look on ebay and those devices sell on there for about 16 sterling. so not really a deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement