Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

And of course offer a discount to all the regulars here :D

But seriously, as a group there is a decent amount of spending power on this forum so it might be worth sweetening the deal a bit. Worth thinking about.

I know The RAGE has lost out on a good few thousand euros from myself due to their attitude and pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think it was Myrddin who said recently that money should be simple to give away :) no truer words spoken.

I never understand why The RAGE make it so feckin hard to buy something from them. After a few bad experiences along those lines I just stopped going there completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think it was Myrddin who said recently that money should be simple to give away :) no truer words spoken.

I never understand why The RAGE make it so feckin hard to buy something from them. After a few bad experiences along those lines I just stopped going there completely.

On my last sojourn in Dublin, I visited the Rage and was looking to give them money but was stifled.
    The had Rune Factory for DS in ok condition and I was willing to get it because I wanted it there and then. Asked how much was it and the response was 'could you come back in a half hour, just need to check the price as it's new.'
    Seriously shoddy set up. €10-15 is what he should have said.
    I didn't go back and I still don't have the game. I think I bought a big huge vanilla latte instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I think I bought a big huge vanilla latte instead.
    Probably your best choice that day I'd say. MMMmmm...

I don't understand the 'we have no idea what it's worth but we're throwing it on a shelf' mentality at all.

It's funny, there's stuff in there priced as super mega ultra hyper rare that isn't rare at all and then there's stuff like the Xbox HD adapter that I bought that wasn't even originally sold in this country that *IS* rare to find in this country and it was in a bargain bin for €2.

I dunno...

MrVestek wrote: »

It's funny, there's stuff in there priced as super mega ultra hyper rare that isn't rare at all and then there's stuff like the Xbox HD adapter that I bought that wasn't even originally sold in this country that *IS* rare to find in this country and it was in a bargain bin for €2.

I dunno...

Is that HD adapter different from the component cables?

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Is that HD adapter different from the component cables?

Original Xbox, not 360. It's an adapter that allows you to connect component and go up to 1080i.

You need to modify the firmware to think it's an NTSC/US Xbox to get it to output in that mode though.

It was never available over here at all.

*edit*

This thing, the official one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Original-XBOX-High-Definition-AV-Pack-Official-HD-Component-Cable-Cord-/221412877559

Rare enough to find over here. Not mad expensive but rare enough...

Probably your best choice that day I'd say. MMMmmm...

I don't understand the 'we have no idea what it's worth but we're throwing it on a shelf' mentality at all.

I dunno...

I like the way the price the stuff as rare or very rare.

All joking aside about the Rage. The one thing that irritates me the most is the condition of their stuff.
    They don't take it into consideration on stuff. A battered castlevania IV is the same price as a good condition one on eBay.
    And most of the stuff is filthy. It doesn't take much effort to clean a cart or reshape a Snes box or check to see if the uber rare fire emblem without any paperwork isn't scratched to crapola.
    So I would hope that anyone looking to set up a likewise company would not look to the Rage as an example to operate in anyway.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I like the way the price the stuff as rare or very rare.

All joking aside about the Rage. The one thing that irritates me the most is the condition of their stuff.
    They don't take it into consideration on stuff. A battered castlevania IV is the same price as a good condition one on eBay.
    And most of the stuff is filthy. It doesn't take much effort to clean a cart or reshape a Snes box or check to see if the uber rare fire emblem without any paperwork isn't scratched to crapola.
    So I would hope that anyone looking to set up a likewise company would not look to the Rage as an example to operate in anyway.

I definately see what you mean in their Dreamcast section. Games scratched to bits with broken cases... it's Mortal Kombat Gold? Ok it's €20.

What?! That's not worth €20... I'll pay a fiver for it... that's about what it's worth in that condition.

Original Xbox, not 360. It's an adapter that allows you to connect component and go up to 1080i.

You need to modify the firmware to think it's an NTSC/US Xbox to get it to output in that mode though.

It was never available over here at all.

*edit*

This thing, the official one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Original-XBOX-High-Definition-AV-Pack-Official-HD-Component-Cable-Cord-/221412877559

Rare enough to find over here. Not mad expensive but rare enough...

I've original xbox component cables. Does 1080i on custom firmware and 720p/1080i on a couple official games.

I've original xbox component cables. Does 1080i on custom firmware and 720p/1080i on a couple official games.

Really?

Interesting. I did a fair bit of research into this box and it wasn't officially released over here as MS didn't consider HDTV a big thing in Europe back in 2001 (which in fairness, it wasn't).

Are those component cables you have official and from a Pal territory?

• Advertisement

Really?

Interesting. I did a fair bit of research into this box and it wasn't officially released over here as MS didn't consider HDTV a big thing in Europe back in 2001 (which in fairness, it wasn't).

Are those component cables you have official and from a Pal territory?

I'll need to check and see where I got them from. They might not be official ones but they definitely do 1080i/720p without any adapter(and 480p of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

There are some huge generalizations.

1. People have had a problem with you selling them as the people on this forum are clearly the kind of folk who would be interested in your business.
    2. I am sure if someone inadvertently buys a pirate down the road which wasn't marked as such and they find out, they'll be pissed.
    3. This has effected many businesses. I'd suggest you look into it further.

And not selling pirate carts would fit into the 'reputation' category.

An ideal business is one which is fun for the owner. Businesses can be fun. However, if you want that fun to last, you have to make your business work. If it doesn't work, the business doesn't work and the fun is gone.

Yep, it's a major part, but not everything.

Fair enough, it happened one time. I'm suggesting you don't make a regular occurrence of it as it will bite you in the ass at some point. You can be sure of that.

I do wish you the best of luck. The above is all simply advice - I WANT your shop to succeed as I am your exact target audience, someone who spends loads of their hard earned cash on videogames :)

Thanks for you advice man it's highly appreciated.
    I do have a business plan as well as being affordable as being friendly and having fun.

I started off with 200 euro and could fill one table.Then I made 400 from that and so on.
    Any cost of tables and other expensives I did not use profit and then when I had 1000 set aside I invested all of that back in to stock.

I go to every con/event I can get in to.
    I do this to build awareness we exist.
    I usually have business cards.

I'm sponsoring my consoles out to two gaming events.One is for charity.

We are partnered with someone to run a gaming con in October.Which I intend to get a well known youtuber.(can't give out any details)

We have a basic website up but we have an ecommerce one being built.

We are in talks about a physical shop or rather a market as well as online.

I remember listening to a owner of a comic store in the US who talked how just selling comics wasn't enough to keep him in business so he got in figures,video games and ran video game/card game tournaments and he was able to turn things around for himself.So we have used that as an example and deal in 3 niche markets.

We are trying our best business wise :)

Also if anybody messages us on adverts/Facebook and says they are from the arcade and retro forum I'll give them a discount .

We don't put everything on adverts due to a build up of 25 cent insertion fees.
    But we almost have a google docs stock list to check what we have in and we get in new stuff weekly.

After a quick google it seems there was two revisions of the official xbox component cables. The first required the breakout box, the second did not. I think I have the second revision but will have a look at home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kealy1994 wrote: »

I remember listening to a owner of a comic store in the US who talked how just selling comics wasn't enough to keep him in business so he got in figures,video games and ran video game/card game tournaments and he was able to turn things around for himself.So we have used that as an example and deal in 3 niche markets.

It definitely seems to be the way to go alright! You can see it in all lines of business now, sure just walk into an Xtra vision and look at the amount of different things they're selling :eek:

Any chance you'll be at the MCM comic con this weekend in the RDS? Wouldn't mind having a browse through your stuff.

It definitely seems to be the way to go alright! You can see it in all lines of business now, sure just walk into an Xtra vision and look at the amount of different things they're selling :eek:

Any chance you'll be at the MCM comic con this weekend in the RDS? Wouldn't mind having a browse through your stuff.

Xtravision the shining beacon of hope for retail entertainment stores in this troubled times :D

In fairness to them they did try to pull out all the stops with cards, tickets, popcorn etc. they were poor on games for a long time and were heavily reliant on traded games and even more so on pvd DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

We won't be at MCM because we applied for a stall too late.It was a 50/50 chance that we would get a stall and it's not gonna happen.We are confirmed to be attending Nom Con and Dublin Comic Con and we still have to hear back from other cons.
    But our friends from the UK Retro Game plushie will be at MCM.
    There prices are a bit high on something's but they are always up for trades.
    I traded phantasy Star 4 mega drive,
    Streets of rage and Bishi bashi and got 80 boxes and manuals for Gameboy games.A lot of decent stuff like an almost complete NES classics set and there's doubles and triples.

I can post a picture of what is there in the marketplace section if anybody needs some boxes.

After a quick google it seems there was two revisions of the official xbox component cables. The first required the breakout box, the second did not. I think I have the second revision but will have a look at home later.

Neither of which were officially released in Europe if I'm not mistaken.

Neither of which were officially released in Europe if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure you're mistaken quite often, but in this case I think you might be right :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sure you're mistaken quite often, but in this case I think you might be right :)

I was mistaken once, but then, in the right light, I do resemble a Ninty fanboy.

I'm sure you're mistaken quite often...

*gasp* HOW DARE YOU! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My friend Chris is selling his Japanese Saturn
    "with 3 games (King of Fighters '95, Wipeout & Bio Hazard) £90 posted. Other wise £70 posted. Includes a step down plug as well.
    £70 is including all the p&p fees"

Here's a link , if you're having trouble seeing the link here's his profile or send me a PM and I'll contact him for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

EspGaluda PCB on shmups for € 200,- shipped .

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49946

Bargain and great seller !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Progear original, not convert over on AO. This does not crop up too often. Hence the 325 price tag!

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27391

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/bally-dr-dude-pinball-machine/5154233?

Right I can totally see where the seller is coming from with someone willing to collect it from him but I still cant feel like a little bit disapointed :( Hopefully this might still work out in my favour though

Anyone else got a pinball for sale? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I have a LW3 project pin, if your interested

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Couple of decent qanba sticks here for dirt cheap with free postage:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Qanba-pc-arcade-fighting-stick-97-rocker-arcade/1766197670.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Qanba-street-fighter-usb-computer-melders-handle-rocker-arcade-rod/1766181894.html

May be of interest to someone with mame in mind, someone suggested putting a pi with mame inside and away ya go.
    Could always change stick/buttons.
    Just got a mail about these...

"We have suspended this seller’s account because we detected unsafe trading activities. All of your pending orders with this seller have been frozen for your security."

... Balls. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just a heads up to ye first before it's posted in bargain alerts. Tesco seem to have cheap games again. OOT 3D, pacman on the 3DS, tekken 3DS and more a fiver a piece. Lots of 360/PS3 stuff down to a fiver also. This was in tesco nutgrove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Thanks for the heads up...so 3 tescos later I got myself these

20140417_165118_zpsjufctdhh.jpg

All sealed and everything a fiver, except Mario kart that was 10 and the Sims was €1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement