Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The fully boxed NGP with 5 cart only games was €120 from what I remember. Pretty expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got my NGP from japan for 22 posted. I got 9 of the best NGP games (10 if you include both versions of card fighters clash) for 40 including shipping from the guy on ebay that sells the NGP game lots, he's still selling NGP game lots.

120 euros is a rip off unless they were boxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

And back up, this time the ad has a total asking price. the previous one was listed as €1 so I assume it was removed for breaking the rule of each ad must have an asking price - http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/retro-game-consoles-and-more/2173577

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

good joblot here if you don't mind taking some shovelware, and could haggle down to around €300

http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/retro-consoles/2178143

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

A fact made all the more painful due the fact that it was once going for this:

http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/02/earthbound-was-once-5-99/

Even more so, by the reality, it's not a rare game. It sold, yes, sold, 140,000 copies (according to the information that Earthbound Central provided, http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-series-sales-figures/), and that's not accounting for what was shipped.

At least, I suppose, it wasn't VGA and going for five times the price of the ad you posted...I tell myself, as I rock back and forth.

Just goes to show you that demand really is everything. Like its not the best RPG ever and not the rarest game ever but it still one of the most valuable games on the SNES, and in general.

I really want a copy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Like its not the best RPG ever

It is, actually. What other RPG lets you, personally, squash the Anti-Christ?
    Can't get much more roleplaying than that, can you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As a big RPG fan I can safely say Earthbound is pretty much the best RPG ever, with only its direct sequel Mother 3 a contender for that position. Its the reason it's so sought after. People finish the game and fall totally in love with it and want a copy.

I know I do :'(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, better than Phantasy Star IV?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's so expensive, I know I once spent nearly $400 to play Tempest 3000 but I just can't justify the $200 to by Earthboud :(
    I think the only way I'm going to get to play that game is to get a Snes flashcart and do something piratey....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hmm, better than Phantasy Star IV?

Yep

Surely not better than FF VII!

Well I never played it, I know its good but I always thought that it was a toss up between that, Chrono Trigger and FF VI for the best RPG on the SNES, Secret of Mana usually in there aswell

Funnily enough FFVII ripped off a lot of Phantasy Star IV and didn't do it as well.

As for Earthbound on the SNES the games you mentioned are really just fun games with silly but well told fantasy stories. Earhtbound is a different beast. As a game it works brilliantly, it's one of the best Dragon Quest clones around. However if you look deeper into the game it's a brilliant deconstruction of the RPG genre and an exploration on growing up and maturing in the real world. Shigesato Itoi is what separates Earthbound from the others you mentioned. Getting one of the most celebrated and brilliant literary geniuses write and help design the game is what makes it so different

It might sound a bit pompous and pretentious but that leads to another reason why Earthbound is so good. It has very deep literary themes yet unlike obviously avant garde stuff like Fez or Braid it's never trying too hard to be clever. It works both as a game and as a very deep exploration of its themes and never forces them on the player. You probably won't be aware of the deeper meanings in the game until you beat it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While there are few criticisms that can be credibly leveled at the presentation and story of Earthbound, I do think it's simple (simplistic?) gameplay holds it back from claiming the 'best RPG' tag (a tag which is inevitably a bit absurd in the first place). Most everything else is enough to make the game brilliantly compelling, yes, but there's plenty of other RPGs that offer deeper, more rewarding and more customisable gameplay experiences.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    avant garde
    Most everything

Take cover! Hipster warfare!

True it is simplistic although later on in the game the use of the rolling HP counter really comes to the fore to make some rather frantic battles. There are deeper battle systems but I also can't say I didn't enjoy earthbound's battles either. It's got that Dragon Quest thing going were the mechanics might be simple but it's the enemies that you fight that make it interesting since they do some really unexpected things. It's the enemies that you fight that add the depth rather than battle mechanics.

There's a few other things that stand out, most notably there's no random encounters and this was before Chrono Trigger. Also if you are level up a bit you can start automatically winning encounters just by touching the enemies. The battles are very fast paced as well meaning there's none of the frustration of other random battle based RPGs.

I'd much rather a fast paced battle system than something like Legend of Dragoon which totally drags that game down. Then again it's nice to have the best of both worlds with something like Persona 3 and 4.

EnterNow wrote: »

I guess I'll be happy, getting by with my unboxed one!
    Tbh, it gets very little attention from me or anyone else visiting my games room, it looks very unassuming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I guess I'll be happy, getting by with my unboxed one!
    Tbh, it gets very little attention from me or anyone else visiting my games room, it looks very unassuming.

Looks like a rather fat walkman from the mid to late 90's. You can actually use it as one though can't you?

• Advertisement

Looks like a rather fat walkman from the mid to late 90's. You can actually use it as one though can't you?

Yes you can, it will guzzle 6 AA batteries on you faster than Paris Hilton guzzles....

Anyway it's not very practical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyway it's not very practical.

Visual gag > Practicality. Every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I really like the Multi Mega and I actually use it a bit.
    Stick a 32x on top and it's a weird looking freak :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Steve SI wrote: »
    I really like the Multi Mega and I actually use it a bit.
    Stick a 32x on top and it's a weird looking freak :)

I've heard a few horror stories about sticking a 32x on it as the weight and pressure of it on the back where the cart slot is can damage the connector.

Ness from Earthbound suffering from a severe case of 32X. Poor guy:

vgsick1.png

Another cheap Illusion of Gaia, I was looking at this earlier & had inquired about postage. The seller got back to me there with €6.49 for first class. Thats Illusion of Gaia for $21.48, which is €19, even cheaper than my own.

Anyway, its there for the taking - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330807165447&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Good deal, might have to take it

I was starting to get into CIB SNES games but over time I've weakened, just too much money compared to carts

Good deal, might have to take it

I was starting to get into CIB SNES games but over time I've weakened, just too much money compared to carts

The boxes don't wear well at all, & taking the games out is like an exercise in forensics, trying your best to handle everything with such care that it won't wear out. Carts only for US Snes, especially as they have end labels for easy browsing.

Master of the Universe

Carboard boxes are absolutely evil.

There's a carboard exterior box on my Panzer Dragoon Saga and every time I want to play it, trying to get the discs out without damaging the sleeve is a horror show.

Actually it's worse putting it all back together! Getting the lip on the top of the flap to go back in without bending the cardboard would give you a hernia.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Carboard boxes are absolutely evil.

There's a carboard exterior box on my Panzer Dragoon Saga and every time I want to play it, trying to get the discs out without damaging the sleeve is a horror show.

Actually it's worse putting it all back together! Getting the lip on the top of the flap to go back in without bending the cardboard would give you a hernia.

Oh and by the way -

'Thinly veiled I have a CIB Panzer Dragoon Saga, Retr0' :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement