Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has gone above and beyond the call of duty for you?

Options
  • 01-12-2010 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Yesterday morning as I was leaving my apartment building for work, the man who does the maintenance in my estate was out gritting the road. I got into my car and was faffing about for a minute or so, turning on the heater, and sorting myself out for the attempt at clearing the snow off my car, when I heard his voice telling me to close the door of the car. He had gone and got a sweeping brush and proceeded to sweep all the snow off all of the windows of my car. I was really impressed as it was such a sound thing do to. I intend to call the property management people and tell them that he's great, because I think we possibly don't give credit where it's due as often as we should.

So who has improved your day by going above any beyond the call of duty to help you out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Jeeves brought me my newspaper this morning and the thing was ironed even though I hadn't requested him to do so. He really is a spiffing butler and a top notch gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

Jeeves is, in fact, a gentleman's gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

MazG wrote: »
    So who has improved your day by going above any beyond the call of duty to help you out?

One time I lost the passport in Dublin. The next afternoon the parents get a call from a man in Carlow IIRC asking do you know xxxxx ? They said yeah, he told them he looked the surname up in the phone book and had been trying them all lol, he had found the passport in Dublin the night before. He stuck it in the post to them and had it back in a few days. Wanted him to include his address to send something back as thanks but he didn't include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

My sister helped me move all my stuff from my apartment when I moved a few months ago and then when I was in work she went up and cleaned it for me :D. She's my favourite sis and I have 7 so there's a lot of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Car broke down earlier in the year, my uncle borrowed a transporter and towed it home for me to save me having to get it towed about 30 miles. Legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Once a girl swallowed my jizz after a bj and I didn't even ask her too. It was defo above and beyond the call of duty as I'd had a particularly bitter lemon cheesecake that day so she'd have got the after effects of that tho her breath was lemon fresh afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

One of my best mates at work in frosty weather when I was delayed leaving, went out to find he had put deicer all over my windows while he was doing his own, has done it a few times since as well. A simple thing, but nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My sister often goes over and above for me and the rest of the family. Like earlier this year I needed to get a Visa for a very important work trip, and she sorted it all out from Dublin for me, including paying a courier to ship the passport to me in France. She is always ready to help out, and to sort out things at home that I can't do from here. She is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

kfallon wrote: »
    Once a girl swallowed my jizz after a bj and I didn't even ask her too. It was defo above and beyond the call of duty as I'd had a particularly bitter lemon cheesecake that day so she'd have got the after effects of that tho her breath was lemon fresh afterwards!

I don't think it counts as "above and beyond" if you roofied her first...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

This guy I met online gave me one of the packages from his emergency airdrop, turned out to be a sentry gun, he definitely had gone above and beyond the call of duty for me :pac:

• Advertisement

NothingMan wrote: »
    My sister helped me move all my stuff from my apartment when I moved a few months ago and then when I was in work she went up and cleaned it for me :D. She's my favourite sis and I have 7 so there's a lot of competition.

You do realise they are all reading this and realise its you and now know the truth, Christmas will be trouble for you this year :D

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I don't think it counts as "above and beyond" if you roofied her first...

Well I did tell her that I'd pull it out when I was ready to spew me goo but fair play she kept it in there and took one for the team.

It was prob the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me *wipes tear away*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My postman rang my doorbell to let me know he was at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

My postman rang my doorbell to let me know he was at the door.

Didn't have a package or anything, just wanted to say hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

prinz wrote: »
    One time I lost the passport in Dublin. The next afternoon the parents get a call from a man in Carlow IIRC asking do you know xxxxx ? They said yeah, he told them he looked the surname up in the phone book and had been trying them all lol, he had found the passport in Dublin the night before. He stuck it in the post to them and had it back in a few days. Wanted him to include his address to send something back as thanks but he didn't include it.

And I bet you didnt even know you were in Dubai last January....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0215/breaking56.html

This guy I met online gave me one of the packages from his emergency airdrop, turned out to be a sentry gun, he definitely had gone above and beyond the call of duty for me :pac:

Is this one of these jokes/quips that only online gaming geeks will get???

I am not an online gaming geek and I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Nasa gave me advance warning about the imminent invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I am not an online gaming geek and I got it

Reading Harry Potter at 41 is indeed not a gaming geek..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

That time in Nam I had my legs blown off. This lad picked me up and carried me to safety then cut me in on his luctrative shrimping business even though he was a retard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

yes! :D

alot of people have gone above and beyond the call of duty for me so to thank one just wouldn't be fair....

so to those who have gone above and beyond the call of duty for me, thank you, i really appreciated it! :)

brightkane wrote: »
    Reading Harry Potter at 41 is indeed not a gaming geek..

I don't recall ever saying I read Harry Potter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Geek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Seems to be more examples of small favours than 'above the call of duty'. I've stopped and changed flat tyres for people before but I think that's just basic politeness.

My brother flying to Europe once to help my out of a jam. That was above and beyond. I'm indebted for life.

I think above and beyond the call of duty is anytime anyone does something that surprises you that they did it.

Geek!

Yes indeed, I should have turned down the bj I got in favour of playing online games with a headset on against an 11 year old boy in China :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Seems to be more examples of small favours than 'above the call of duty'..

What seem like small favours can often mean the most. The simple things count. Taking 5 minutes out of your time to do something easy for somebody else, which you forget about 20 minutes later, could be something that person never forgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

That hooker last night was superb.

€30 well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I think above and beyond the call of duty is anytime anyone does something that surprises you that they did it.
    prinz wrote: »
    What seem like small favours can often mean the most. The simple things count. Taking 5 minutes out of your time to do something easy for somebody else, which you forget about 20 minutes later, could be something that person never forgets.

Maybe so.

I guess people have lower expectations of others today than they used to.

• Advertisement

Maybe so.

I guess people have lower expectations of others today than they used to.

Not in the least, the friend I spoke about always does little things all the time that he doesn't need to, they all add up to meaning a lot, the one I mentioned was the one that surprised me pleasantly.

Advertisement