Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes, definitely, I've used it before for that and it's a very nice addition indeed. I'd add it in right at the end, or even into the sauce though, it might be that I did something wrong, but it didn't seem to keep the flavour as much if I put it in right at the start.

Added it at the end, was absolutely epic. Used the spicy barbecue sauce from The Scullery and it was absolutely amazing.

I'm getting a bottle of vino bought for me now as a result. Thank you Sparks for this incredible recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Welcome!
    And that liquid smoke... oh man. Along with chipotles in adobo sauce, I wind up using it in everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Just made this after observing the thread with interest for some time (first product of a slow cooker bought over the weekend!), and the GF has now decided she has to go to the gym while I play 5 aside so she doesn't eat it all while I'm gone!

In hindsight the 6 litre slow cooker was a bit too big for the amount made, but with the other stuff I have in mind for it and wanting to cook other stuff in bulk this one made the most sense in price/value as the cooker to get. Used a pork shoulder from Dublin Meat Company (one of them very near me) and could have gotten a bigger one (€9 instead of €6, or 2kg vs a little under 1.5 inc packaging), so will likely have to either go for that or make 2 small shoulders the next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Was initially a bit disappointed with this but left it a while and warmed it up and put in a fresh bread roll. Wow delicious!
    i made it with pork shoulder so the skin is un the oven turning into crackling. Mmmm
    don t worry doc i did have my cholesterol lowering yoghurt drink this morning. Thanks for the fab recipe and instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Nice lump of shoulder seasoned and in the fridge. I doubled the amount, it was about 2.7kg from the butcher.
    Just have to get a chilli 2mor and I'll be ready for cooking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Have a leg of pork waiting in the fridge with the rub overnight, so will be putting on another batch tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

First portion devoured with a few chips, gorgeous. I made it in a 6kg cooker last nite, needed way more Coke just to almost cover the meat.
    Then had to use a lot more bbq sauce to make it sloppy. My own fault for not doubling all the ingredients after the size of meat.
    Will definitely be making this again. Thanks again Sparks

Glad you liked it tribal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

Decided to bite the bullet and try this out,
    all ingredients bought over the weekend,
    got a 1.2kg leg pork for €10.
    marinaded for 24 hours.
    placed it in the oven at 160'c for two hours, just reduced the temp to 100'c.
    also topped up with some coke and water.
    now the waiting game starts.
    am going crazy looking at everybody else's pictures of their pulled pork sambos.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

just an update,
    for those with oven cookers, this is what I did.
    2 hours at 160'c topped up with some coke and water, not much.
    30 min at 100'c
    2 hours at 125'c

the meat sat in the juices for the next 7 hours while I slept.

Meat fell apart, made the sauce and mixed and the result is this.
    312057.jpg

I used fresh garlic in the sauce, next time will need to cook it so the garlic isn't so raw and strong.

Was really worth it, cant wait for lunch tomorrow.
    will freeze the rest for future.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Cooked this today. Delicious
    Didnt have coriander so used coriander powder.
    Served on brioche rolls with coleslaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I've always been a big BBQ person but yesterday i tried my first ever "Pork Butt" or shoulder as we call it :)

I started off with a full 7kg pork shoulder.
    My rub consisted of coarse salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, mustard powder, brown sugar & white sugar
    My injection, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, water, white sugar, salt & Worcester sauce

I deboned the shoulder, took all the fat off and applied my rub on 1 side, 40 mins i wiped off the excess and applied to the other side.
    I rolled it up very loosely but to keep an even thickness throughout.
    Added my injection throughout and wrapped in cling film.

First i lined my smoker with tinfoil and 2 drip trays.

21chxqe.jpg

I was using hickory wood chunks and apple wood chips, some soaked and some not so as to get as long between adding more wood as i could.

I also had a foil tray over the charcoal with apple cider vinegar and water. The pic of this is more for just showing and was fresh chips put on.

anoobm.jpg

Opened for the first time after 2 hours

j5jl94.jpg

16018x.jpg

I kept the temp in the smoker at about 250f for 6 hours, was very hard to control the temp but managed. I used a meat probe with 1m cable on the rack to tell inside temp.
    Adding wood every 30 mins, used about 2kg hickory chunks and 1kg apple.

After 6 hours of rotating every hour and spraying with apple juice it was ready for the next step.

2zegqqt.jpg

Wrapped it in foil and sat in a tray. Inserted the probe inside now and temp was at 154f, injected it again which brought temp to 150f. Covered it and fresh charcoal (cleaned out full heat box at this point) for the next 3 hours. Monitored the temp to make sure it wasn't climbing too fast and my target internal temp was 190-200f.
    2 hours 45 mins later it reached temp.

25k0xaq.jpg

10z2zid.jpg

Left to rest for 45 mins.

Pulled it all, sprayed again with apple juice a few times and added the injection juice from the tray from the last stage.

2cx8dx4.jpg

Got perfect smoke ring for my first attempt, served it with a red onion marmalade :)

That is awesome. I have smoker envy :D
    But next time, leave the bone in. You get more flavour and a test to see if it's done (the bone pulls out cleanly with almost zero effort). And you don't have to do all the deboning work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Hi,
    Do we have a separate thread for smoking meat, and smokers?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Thank You!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Have my pork in the rub. It makes for good summer weather food, with baps and salads and the likes :)

I always just pick up a leg joint in Tesco to do this, but I got a very disappointing piece of meat there today. It wasn't one whole piece when you unrolled it and took off the string; it had sections hanging off and barely attached. If you're buying this prepacked, make sure to have a good look to see that it's a whole piece you're getting.

That's a bit disappointing, but on the other hand, this is a poor people meal, and you're going to be shredding the meat anyway so it'll turn out fine.

If you want to go all upmarket on it ( :D ) go to the butchers and ask for some pork shoulder (apparently we call it gigot in Ireland, not butt, and noone I've asked has a clue where that name comes from either, because it's the french word for lamb legs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I'm not worried about the taste or appearance, because I know it's still going to be lovely, it was still just a bit annoying! Our butchers has been closed the past few weeks, so I may need to start venturing. The leg joint was 1.3kg and I know that'll fit fine in my little slow cooker (the tiny cheap one from Argos). Would I be able to get a piece of shoulder the same size and rough shape, so it would fit in? Would the shoulder not have a bone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I've a piece of shoulder on the bone wrapped in the rub in the fridge as we speak. Tenner for 2kgs on the bone. He offered to debone it for me but I left it in for the extra flavour when it comes time to cook it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, if I could fit the whole shoulder in the slow cooker I'd be laughing but it's too small so I generally just get it deboned and then I can fit about a kilo in the cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

So, tried this over the weekend. Delicious, but i think i'll change up a few things before next time.

Nom Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Yeah, if I could fit the whole shoulder in the slow cooker I'd be laughing but it's too small so I generally just get it deboned and then I can fit about a kilo in the cooker.

you should keep an eye out for one of the bigger slow cookers in argos. i picked up a 6.5L one for less than €15 a few years ago and its had loads of use and still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aye. Aldi regularly do a 6.5l one for €22. It will pay for itself within a year (uses a lot less electricity than an oven)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I got a 6.5lt one in Argos a few weeks ago for €25.99c. Still waiting to do the pulled pork in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, you can get the full "bone in" shoulder into the big 6.5L ones, I've done several now at this point and they fit perfectly. :)

I actually have a 6L model, but it was too big for the flat so I gave it away; and our baking assistant's arrival meant that all my new counter space was taken up by sterilising steamers and the like for ages so I'm only getting back the room I'd use for this stuff now. And my magimix has dibs on the first available chunk of countertop. But soon... real soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

unkel wrote: »
    Aye. Aldi regularly do a 6.5l one for €22.

They must read here :D

Aldi have the 6.5l slow cooker on for €19.99 from next Thursday.

Linky

And they have a spice grinder going for €15 as well (yeah, it says coffee grinder but those blade grinders don't do so well grinding coffee beans, they're way better at grinding spices).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And they have a spice grinder going for €15 as well (yeah, it says coffee grinder but those blade grinders don't do so well grinding coffee beans, they're way better at grinding spices).

I would imagine it's easier grinding coffee beans rather than spices.

I have a similar grinder that I use for grinding both, and the coffee beans always grind easily enough, if not easier than the spices.

Advertisement