Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people hammer nails into coffins?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

Gucky wrote: »
    I'm afraid to ask what you were doing in an 'undertakers shop', 'looking at coffins'?:eek:

Maybe his relative died ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Burying people may be more natural than you think. They think the Neanderthals and our ancient ancestors may have buried their dead.

In what I read they seemed to suggest it was out of respect, however I've wondered if perhaps it's so predators won't come along and eat the dead carcass and get a "taste" for humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Burying people may be more natural than you think. They think the Neanderthals and our ancient ancestors may have buried their dead.

They cremated human remains too.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

You don't have to be buried. You have options.

You could for example be stuffed and embalmed. Your stuffed body could be mounted on a plinth(concrete, marble?) in your living room. For loved ones to remember you by.

You can leave special instructions for your embalmer if you like. If you are a happy person for example you might like your remains to have a big smile or grin permanently afixed to your face so in death as in life happy.
    Big smile on you. Watching down on your family. For ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Funny,i hate the thought of being cremated!
    I've told my family if they cremate me i'll come back and haunt them.:pac:

So for future reference-if you're reading this and i've just died i want to be buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,681 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Prevent a Zombie Invasion... Duh :)
    Wouldn't they use screws then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Who uses nails to secure the lid on a coffin? I thought they were screwed down (to prevent lid falling off as mentioned...)

I know I'd prefer to have a final screw in my coffin, as opposed to a nail...

Associative Necrophilia I suppose you'd call it.

But when I do die, just throw me in the brown bin and I'll be happy, dead but happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i want to be cremated

apparently - not that i want this - they can turn your remains into a diamond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

1 screws...
    2 to prevent the lid from sliding off when lifted or being lowered.
    no one wants to see grandads body sliding out of the coffin.
    itd be like trying to put a gold fish back in his bowl in the panic. (minus the wriggling of the body etc...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Jesus, this thread is so depressing & morbid that I'm almost sorry I didn't read yet another boring thread on the economy.

I hope when it's my turn to be put in a coffin I'll be a very old woman with very few regrets & that I haven't been ravaged by a horrible disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

On a similar note, why do people purchase coffins for their relatives to be cremated in ?
    Why do people buy fancy coffins anyway? It's always struck me as a criminal waste to pay thousands for something you're just going to stick in a hole in the ground. If one of my family did that I'd haunt them out of sheer principal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

It could be integrated with christmas decorations - flashing lights, tinsel.

You could build a nativity scene around it actually - stable, three wise men, stuffed corpse, lambs, shepards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

knird evol wrote: »

You could for example be stuffed and embalmed. Your stuffed body could be mounted on a plinth(concrete, marble?) in your living room. For loved ones to remember you by.

You can leave special instructions for your embalmer if you like. If you are a happy person for example you might like your remains to have a big smile or grin permanently afixed to your face so in death as in life happy.

That would be hilarious, I may have to add that as a condition in my will. Whoever wants the money has to have my body in their front porch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of the only things I ever enjoyed in Jackass was the episode where Johnny Knocksville went around to taxidermists with an old lady he claimed was his granny to see if any of them would stuff her and mount her in an armchair upon her death. IIRC, only one would, but they said they'd have to check the law first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'd like my remains to be bloodily shot into the side of a primary school. To freak 'em kids out well good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

This is the second time I've made reference to them today but Penn & Teller Bullsh!t's Death, Inc. ep is kinda an interesting take on the whole "business" of dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If I die around Halloween then I'll allow my body to be hung out the front of the house to spook the kids.

Attaching strings to make me move is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It could be integrated with christmas decorations - flashing lights, tinsel.

You could build a nativity scene around it actually - stable, three wise men, stuffed corpse, lambs, shepards

Can you get them to give you a permanent erection???

*cue the stiff jokes*

:pac:

Advertisement