Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people hammer nails into coffins?

Options
  • 30-11-2010 7:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

What's the point? Is there something the secularists don't want us to know...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Prevent a Zombie Invasion... Duh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

To keep the dead body inside from falling out?

Are you talking literally or metaphorically speaking here?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Nothing worse than the lid flying off when being lowered into the grave I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Cause they have nobody to go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I'd imagine it's to keep the lid from falling off..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

They don't anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Its in case they drop it I think. Don't want granny jumping back out on the driveway :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Who uses nails to secure the lid on a coffin? I thought they were screwed down (to prevent lid falling off as mentioned...)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Because it'd look silly hammering tea bags to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

To stop people dancing on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Who uses nails to secure the lid on a coffin? I thought they were screwed down (to prevent lid falling off as mentioned...)

This is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

they use screws now not nails in any I was looking at in the undertakers shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

On a similar note, why do people purchase coffins for their relatives to be cremated in ?

On a similar note, why do people purchase coffins for their relatives to be cremated in ?

What are you meant to do with them-put them in a black sack?

You can buy cheap coffins now which they fit inside a normal coffin for the service,then take it out for the cremation.

Respect, you wouldn't want to be putting granny in a cardboard box..

On that note do you think there's a market for coffin rentals in the current climate? I see a new business venture on the horizon...

alwaysadub wrote: »
    You can buy cheap coffins now which they fit inside a normal coffin for the service,then take it out for the cremation.

Damn... no new business venture so...

What are you meant to do with them-put them in a black sack?

That's my point exactly, a "cheap" coffin is still around €2000 but it's just gonna be burned too. They should rent coffins for the service etc then remove the body from the coffin for cremation and return the coffin. Funeral directors are thieving scum anyway. It's hard to make sound financial decisions when you are mourning a loved one.

Some plywood, and a staple gun and im happy. 20 quid in Woodies - not like id be around to complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

You're Dead on!:D

Right "Coffins4wakes" coming soon to a town near you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

Off topic, but I seem to remember some undertakers charging a fee of around 100 quid for the service of screwing a couple of handles onto coffins. Now most people would be too upset to contest this and the undertakers know it. Hungry cunts.

Cause they have nobody to go with.

I f*cking lol'd :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Some plywood, and a staple gun and im happy. 20 quid in Woodies - not like id be around to complain

ive a voucher for buy one get one free on coffins if you want to go halfies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

On that note do you think there's a market for coffin rentals in the current climate? I see a new business venture on the horizon...

I suppose the problem there would be the digging them up again afterwards, t'wud be a fair bit of work.

Or maybe you meant take them out before the burial/cremation... you could be on to something there.

WilliamOC wrote: »
    ive a voucher for buy one get one free on coffins if you want to go halfies

Deal!! - il send you the 30 euro in the post...

Right "Coffins4wakes" coming soon to a town near you :D

I say go for it, you'll make a "killing".

That's my point exactly, a "cheap" coffin is still around €2000 but it's just gonna be burned too. They should rent coffins for the service etc then remove the body from the coffin for cremation and return the coffin. Funeral directors are thieving scum anyway. It's hard to make sound financial decisions when you are mourning a loved one.

No not these things-they cost a few hundred.
    They are actually called rental coffins-you rent the normal coffin but get cremated in the cheap one.

No not these things-they cost a few hundred.
    They are actually called rental coffins-you rent the normal coffin but get cremated in the cheap one.

Ok I've never heard of that in Ireland though, do you have a link or anything for somewhere that does that here?

Ok I've never heard of that in Ireland though, do you have a link or anything for somewhere that does that here?

I doubt its done everywhere but Mount Jerome in Dublin do it
    http://www.rommassey.ie/Coffins__Standard_Range/Default.85.html

Doesn't have the prices on the website but i know that them insert coffins are a few hundred.
    No doubt they find some other way to make their money though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

pawrick wrote: »
    they use screws now not nails in any I was looking at in the undertakers shop

I'm afraid to ask what you were doing in an 'undertakers shop', 'looking at coffins'?:eek:

Advertisement