Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern, A dó, A flee

Options
  • 30-11-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

So Dermot Ahern is going, the only thing I remember him for was his Blasphemy Bill, So how did that go for him? Has it been largely ignored? Has anyone been fined? Taken to court even? Or was it just a massive waste of time?

And is this just a way to get out before the IMF etc cut pensions and is this the opening of a flood gate? Or is he actually pulling out for honest to god medical issues?
    The Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern has announced that he will not be contesting the next General Election.

In a statement this morning, Minister Ahern said that over the last 18 months, he had been diagnosed with a painful medical condition that he had to take heavy medication for.

He has been advised to change his pace of life to cope with the medical regimen.

Mr Ahern said he came to his decision after 32 years as a public representative. He is a TD since 1987 and has been a Minister since 1997.

The 55-year-old said that after the 2007 General Election he came to a decision with his family that that election would be his last.

Minister Ahern informed the Taoiseach of his decision in October of last year and confirmed it with him last weekend.

He has also informed his Cabinet colleagues and his local party organisation in Co Louth.

Mr Ahern thanked the people of Louth for their support over his three decades in politics.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/dermot-ahern-to-step-down-at-general-election-483809.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I hope he enjoys his retirement with all those huge pensions he'll be getting while people are being kicked out of their homes and others are going without food so their kids can eat.

A great little nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Best news I've heard in ages to learn of the end of that incompetent, homophobic gob****e. Hopefully his medical conditions means he won't become too much of a tax burnen on the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Does it matter, the less said the better, a smug arrogant waster of a minister. Good bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

An Ahern leaving government? Uh oh....

Pension reason without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I love the Irish mentality. People call for government resignations and then when they get them it suddenly becomes time to insult them for running away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

We'll see a lot more of them leaving before the election for pension personal reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Good. that guy is a feckin eejit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

The beginning of the end of Fianna Fail.

k_mac wrote: »
    I love the Irish mentality. People call for government resignations and then when they get them it suddenly becomes time to insult them for running away.

Rats deserting a sinking ship deserve no praise. No doubt this won't be the last before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I can't speak for the rest of the country but I want them to resign in shame for what they have done to the country, and to be stripped of any pensions or other money they are 'entitled' to...then I will tone down my insults....slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

He should have his pension shoved up his arse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Resigning to admit you made a mistake is one thing, legging it before the pension cut is another. (Plus, knowing you will be wiped out in the election doesn't mean you are going with honour)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It's perfectly possible to despise someone for lying about why they're running away. And to despise them because they should have run away a long time ago. And to despise them because they're despicable.

There's a lot of reasons to hate the current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

All he'll be remembered for is the ludicrous blasphemy law and this-

The absolute smug, shit-eating twat. Good riddance.

Also, title should be Ahern, a dope, a flee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Good riddance.

He can shove his blasphemy law up his hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So as the government give us a good arse fucking as they strip the nation of it's assets to pay for international gamblers debts, as they raped the land along with the banks & developers during the property boom, and as they dip their fat greedy fingers into our pockets to pay for themselves & useless, directors of state & semi state bodies exhorbitant wages, pensions & expenses, do you honestly think that instead of giving them the two fingers they deserve that we should wave them goodbye with a nice smile?

Do you really think that shower of cunts deserve better?

That's one seriously fucked up, strange parallel universe you seem to be inhabiting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Presumably the usual shower of apologists will be along in a while when word gets out about this thread at FF propaganda HQ...unless of course he loses that privilege now he's quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

ironic he suffers from a disease that is easily liveable with the usage of medicinal marijuana.

good riddance. a wanker from a dynasty of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Irony would be if he ended up on a trolley at the Lourdes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

**** him. Good riddence to rat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There will be a run on ministers retiring for "health" or "personal" reasons before the election.

They're all doing the same thing: trying to avoid a ballot-box humiliation.

Come on, let's have a prediction thread. Who else?

I'll start you off with Harney.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    There will be a run on ministers retiring for "health" or "personal" reasons before the election.

They're all doing the same thing: trying to avoid a ballot-box humiliation.

Come on, let's have a prediction thread. Who else?

I'll start you off with Harney.

Hopefully Martin Cullen or Willie Liar O'Dea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

bonerm wrote: »
    Hopefully Martin Cullen or Willie Liar O'Dea.

Cullen retired ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bonerm wrote: »
    Willie Liar O'Dea.

He should be in the f**king 'Joy. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I can't see any of the current cabinet ministers staying around to rot away in opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If he would have said that he was stepping down because he made a bolleex of things and wanted to admit it, I would have forgiven nearly everything he has done but chance would be a fine thing! G'way with ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

So as the government give us a good arse fucking as they strip the nation of it's assets to pay for international gamblers debts, as they raped the land along with the banks & developers during the property boom, and as they dip their fat greedy fingers into our pockets to pay for themselves & useless, directors of state & semi state bodies exhorbitant wages, pensions & expenses, do you honestly think that instead of giving them the two fingers they deserve that we should wave them goodbye with a nice smile?

Do you really think that shower of cunts deserve better?

That's one seriously fucked up, strange parallel universe you seem to be inhabiting there.

Appears you may have forgotten Frank Mulcahy? Pity, he hasn't gone away!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Excellent thread title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

He's being insulted because he doesn't have the balls to admit that he's a useless wanker or that he can't stand the heat in the kitchen so he uses sickness as his excuse. People are glad that he's going but they want to add how much of a tit he is as he goes. Do you want them to eulogise the prick?

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    Excellent thread title!

Agreed, very good. I might have gone for "dough" instead of "dó" considering Ahern is clearly taking the money and running.

Advertisement