Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute Closed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

macrubicon wrote: »
    I'm passing on what I get - I know the issue with access is that the car park is basically impassable with ice and snow. Guys were on site today to try and clear the path but with the new falls it got too bad again.

Public transport is one issue but so is trying to get all the classes in before the break for Christmas - along with the CA's that are due. It's a catch-22 sometimes.

When the car park is safe it will be re-opened but there are 3 and 4 foot drifts in the car park at the moment - and that's sitting on top of the compacted snow from Monday that has turned to ice.

It's a tough call all round - and no doubt there will be some disruptions into next week as some people will still be stranded come Monday - students, lecturers and staff...

Wasn't aimed at you personnally macrubicon, I'm still pished off with the colleges organisation though since last January when they cancelled the Monday exams on the Friday afternoon but never thought about us poor bast*rds who had exams Saturday and with no buses to the NBA I had to have it deferred till August.:mad:

I get what you're saying anyway. This is a prime chance now for lecturers to put all this semesters notes/tutorials/etc... on moodle because no doubt if it stays like this for another few weeks people won't be making it to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

Nevermind the car park, i cant get out of my driveway. As also pointed out, the buses werent running and the LUAS was canceled. ITT isnt like one of those colleges smack in the middle of the city, its not an easy place to get to in this sort of weather regardless so i think from a common sense - and health and safety aspect -it should be more than 'well the footpath outside the college is OK now' to decide to re-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

I hear where you are coming from but there have been lessons learned.

As with everything of this nature there will be lessons learned.

As for the access cactus - it's more than that - the problem at the moment is that it's not safe to drive or walk on campus. The hope is that by Monday the footpaths can be made safe to allow people back on site.

If it's not safe it won't be opened. Contrary to some peoples belief these type of decisions are not made lightly. Every day missed is a day to be caught up from all sides so we would prefer to be open but safety first...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

I understand from all points of view. I'm supposed to have a CA next week, but if things were as they were today, there would be no actual way to get there.

I feel for the college though, i couldnt clear the ice and snow from infront of my door, the campus must be a nightmare to sort out :eek:

I have started a new thread but as some people may be following this one...

The Institute will reopen Monday December 6th for pedestrian access only.

Until otherwise notified access will be via the 'St Maelruains entrance' and this can be seen in the photos on the website News section.

We are working to have normal vehicular operation restored as soon as possible. We will continue to provide updates via the normal communications channels so please monitor these for relevant developments.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not really sure if there's any point in opening for pedestrians only, a lot of people have a long way to travel, where are they gonna park? The car park is almost full in the evenings, there's not gonna be a lot of room around the campus for those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tazmania

LIT did phase 4 electrical science exam on Fri. Will it be a different exam for CIT next week.

tazmania wrote: »
    LIT did phase 4 electrical science exam on Fri. Will it be a different exam for CIT next week.

You might want to ask on the CIT forum for an answer there - as far as I am aware all tests are different as the questions are taken from a pool of questions

Advertisement