Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute Closed.

Options
  • 30-11-2010 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Due to the adverse weather conditions the Institute is closed today - Tuesday 30th November

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Any word on tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

That call is being made around 9pm tonight. It will be posted up on the college front page in the news section, on twitter and on facebook if we are to stay closed.

A text should be sent around again as well.

As soon as I know you will know here as well.

The Institute will remain closed on Wednesday December 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Says so on Moodle should anyone not believe him :pac:

Important Notice regarding Electrical Trades Assessment:

Electrical Trades Assessment -- Assessment T2 - Craft Theory Phase 4 and Phase 6
    Can Electrical apprentices please note that the assessments will take place as scheduled on Wednesday Dec 1st in St Maelruans Hall adjacent to the college building. Phase 6 assessment will take place at 09:30 - 12:30 and Phase 4 assessment will take place at 14:00 - 17:00

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

has it been decided if the institute is open tommorow(thurs 2nd)?

has it been decided if the institute is open tommorow(thurs 2nd)?

Not yet - I'd say there will be a call on it tonight around 9.

The Institute will remain closed tomorrow - Thursday Dec. 2nd.

I can't find that on Moodle, Twitter or Facebook :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

Its on the website, and i got a text also

The Institute will remain closed tomorrow Thursday December 2nd due to the continued adverse weather conditions. At present a campus inspection has shown heavy drifting in areas of the car park of 8 - 10 inches. A heavy layer of ice lies stubbornly below the snow and is impervious to gritting.
    We will be doing all in our power to open Friday so at present plan for our being open although we will as ever update here on Thursday evening so please check back to confirm the plan for Friday 3rd.

Bit optimistic. Cant even get out of my driveway

• Advertisement

cactus10 wrote: »
    Its on the website, and i got a text also

The Institute will remain closed tomorrow Thursday December 2nd due to the continued adverse weather conditions. At present a campus inspection has shown heavy drifting in areas of the car park of 8 - 10 inches. A heavy layer of ice lies stubbornly below the snow and is impervious to gritting.
    We will be doing all in our power to open Friday so at present plan for our being open although we will as ever update here on Thursday evening so please check back to confirm the plan for Friday 3rd.

Bit optimistic. Cant even get out of my driveway

Yeah, I just got the text :o

I can get neither of my cars out of the driveway...even though one is hanging out on to the kerb...

I can't find that on Moodle, Twitter or Facebook :confused:

I posted here before I sent the E-Mails and texts - Moodle should be updated soon as well as twitter and facebook - someone else updates those...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

does anyone know if the phase 6 electrical exams will go ahead tomoro? they were cancelled in kevin street, i cant imagine ours going ahead tomoro because were doing the same exam.

enemy wrote: »
    does anyone know if the phase 6 electrical exams will go ahead tomoro? they were cancelled in kevin street, i cant imagine ours going ahead tomoro because were doing the same exam.

According to a text, the electrical assessment in St.Maelruins Hall is still going on?

when did you get that text?

Either yesterday or the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

The text was from the 30th about the exam on Wednesday still going ahead.

Well, im not even worried about the college opening on Friday or not, because there isnt a way in hell i could actually get there

Either yesterday or the day before.

that was about wednesdays exam, that went ahead in every college. DIT kevin street students were told today that tomoro's exam wont be going ahead. im wondering is it cancelled for tallaght students also

Will ask the question and let you know - the Electrical Trades message from Tuesday was for Wednesday's exam in Mael's.

Nothing yet on tomorrow.

Hang on a minute - Phase 6 and Phase 4 were on yesterday - are these the same exams ??

• Advertisement

phase 6 and phase 4 did a craft theory exam on wednesday, phase 6 and phase 4 are also supposed to be doing an electrical science exam tomoro, but DIT students were told tomoro's exam is cancelled. if that exam is cancelled then ours should be too, otherwise we could just tell them wats on the exam for when ever they do it

OK - I'm checking and will let you know what's up.

The Institute will remain closed tomorrow - Friday December 3rd.

"We intend to reopen the institute Monday December 6th for pedestrian access. Under no circumstances will vehicles other than emergency vehicles be allowed access to the campus.

We recommend that if possible, you use public transport to get to the college. In the event that you drive you should use the car parking facilities in the vicinity of the institute as I reiterate, vehicular access will not be possible.

We will deploy all our available resources to try to keep as many pedestrian routes as possible clear."

anything about trades exams?

anything about trades exams?

Waiting to hear from the Head of Department....

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

College is open again on monday

College is open again on monday

But only for pedestrians - No vehicle access.

macrubicon wrote: »
    Waiting to hear from the Head of Department....

OK - just got word - these exams will be going ahead as scheduled. DIT will run another paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

macrubicon wrote: »
    But only for pedestrians - No vehicle access.

The college does know buses weren't running to or from Tallaght today from like 3pm and all Luas's got suspended at around 6 so without cars how can people get to college if there's no public transport either come Monday?

• Advertisement

The college does know buses weren't running to or from Tallaght today from like 3pm and all Luas's got suspended at around 6 so without cars how can people get to college if there's no public transport either come Monday?

I'm passing on what I get - I know the issue with access is that the car park is basically impassable with ice and snow. Guys were on site today to try and clear the path but with the new falls it got too bad again.

Public transport is one issue but so is trying to get all the classes in before the break for Christmas - along with the CA's that are due. It's a catch-22 sometimes.

When the car park is safe it will be re-opened but there are 3 and 4 foot drifts in the car park at the moment - and that's sitting on top of the compacted snow from Monday that has turned to ice.

It's a tough call all round - and no doubt there will be some disruptions into next week as some people will still be stranded come Monday - students, lecturers and staff...

Advertisement